Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 16, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #52,098 of 150,311
I used my Ragnarok 2 with the ELAC BS 403 (min. 3.2 ohm, 86 dB), Magnepan LRS (4 ohm, 86 dB) and Wharfedale EVO 4.4 (min. 4.3 ohm, 89 dB) and it works great with all of them. Sounds more refined than a single Vidar. I actually didn't like the EVO 4.4 with the Vidar, but they are my favorite of the three with the Ragnarok 2.

Thanks for the info @Alcophone! I have a pair of Boenicke W5se that need a proper amp. I usually don't get much past 10 o'clock with my old Peachtree Nova, but even though the combo sounds pretty good, sometimes it's veiled and the soundstage isn't great. I think there's untapped potential in the Boenickes.

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #52,100 of 150,311
Jotunheim R is the official name. Not super imaginative, but accurate. It's Jotunheim sized and it uses a Jotunheim bottom chassis. A lot of the mech is the same. Just every other part is different, from transformer to outputs, LOL. It's also a Nexus™ amp, unlike Jotunheim, so there are tons of matched parts.

BINGO.
Can it be used for other types of headphones or just with ribbons?

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #52,103 of 150,311
Can it be used for other types of headphones or just with ribbons?

Only with ribbons. It has the Raal-unique 4-pin MALE XLR output to the headphones, and a different pinout.

Sure, someone will make an adapter, and someone will short the output, and the amp will go into protection, no harm no foul. Or they'll get the pinout right and learn that, even though it can put 13A into low impedance loads, the amp doesn't have much gain or power into typical headphone impedances (probably about Valhalla level at 32 ohms). And then they'll wonder what the step baffle compensation is for, and they'll find it works like a bass boost, further decreasing the amp's capability into high impedances (because it will clip faster). And then they'll realize, like with stats, a specific amp is a good idea, and go back to using Jotunheim R with Raals, and any other headphone amp with their other headphones.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 16, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #52,104 of 150,311
Oct 16, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #52,105 of 150,311
Oct 16, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #52,107 of 150,311
Why on earth would you even want that?
I prefer Schiit's DS implementations: Gungnir DS, Modi 3, etc.

I know blasphemy! Burn the heretic! With all due respect to Mike and Jason, I know they prefer the Multibit stuff, I just like their DS stuff more. That may also be due to the fact my music taste probably won't get much out of the layering, staging etc of a Yggy for example.

I don't know, might be fun to see what Mike could come up with. A cheap DS chip and then a killer power supply, fully discrete, etc. Maybe voice it differently than the Yggy.

I'm a huge fan of the Modi 3 and gladly shill that all day :D

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #52,108 of 150,311
Thanks for the info @Alcophone! I have a pair of Boenicke W5se that need a proper amp. I usually don't get much past 10 o'clock with my old Peachtree Nova, but even though the combo sounds pretty good, sometimes it's veiled and the soundstage isn't great. I think there's untapped potential in the Boenickes.
Woah, they look so similar to the SoundKaos Vox 3F. Those sounded incredible for the size. Looking forward to your impressions with the Ragnarok 2!

20191016_194343.jpg 20191016_194319.jpg

Oct 16, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #52,110 of 150,311
With any luck, we'll have Jotunheim R out before the end of the year. It'll be $799, or $999 with the True Multibit DAC card inside.

It is literally the only direct-drive ribbon headphone amp on the planet.

When faced with the choice of being "one of many" (like another amp in the stat world), or "one of one," I'll always go for the latter.
Very much so looking forward to this, I know someone who will be getting one ASAP, so I'll be able to hear it before buying it for my set of RAALs! Very cool that you did this! Currently running dual mono Vidars!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back