Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 26, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #51,347 of 149,848
I use the ifi tubes.
They don't sell them anymore but after lots of trials these are the ones that fit my ears best.
Be aware however that I don't know anything at all about valves/tubes.

Way back in seminary school, I was actually trained on tubes, biasing and load lines and all the rest, and I still have well-used copies of the Radiotron Designer's Handbook(s) on my shelves.

We needed all that, working with devices that ran to 10-50 kW, long after they became of mostly academic interest to anyone designing low-level amplification.

Over the years, I've seen lots of 'tube replacements', for use at AF, IF and RF. Some have had useful characteristics, but none ever completely replaced their precursors.

I think that's probably still true, especially for picky golden ears, or card-carrying members of the Thermionic Liberation Front. :)

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #51,348 of 149,848
Sep 26, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #51,349 of 149,848
Well they're 6922's with an adapted ass to fit this Schiit.

I believe tubes in the picture you shared, if I am reading them correctly, are 5670. That thing on the bottom is the adapter that makes them work as 6922.

I believe the one @Paladin79 linked to the tubes without the adapters.

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #51,350 of 149,848
vali 2.jpg
I believe tubes in the picture you shared, if I am reading them correctly, are 5670. That thing on the bottom is the adapter that makes them work as 6922.

I believe the one @Paladin79 linked to the tubes without the adapters.

I do believe you are correct.

https://tubedepot.com/products/5670...4cGallTTxVfFrrZbVOzykyUIYNZICBzIaApLYEALw_wcB

And that should be a GE logo on their side. I use 6sn7's with adapters in place of 6922's personally but I know for a fact the Vali 2 can handle them. I would not try this in the Mjolnir without checking with Jason. :smile_phones: I double checked all tubes I sent to the shootout on the Vali 2 as well as in other amps.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #51,351 of 149,848
Oh no. Even 13 years tends to be extreme with Norse Forrest Cats.
Her spouse (Amadeus off course) died when he was just 10 years old.
She will be 21 in February next year.
She is eating double she did a few days ago and much more active.
Keeping her as well fed as possible is an ongoing struggle since my wife died.
Every kind of food she likes and a mountain of snacks are always on hand in abundance.

Sorry about your loss, and my condolences.
I hope Constanza will be with you for a long time to come!

Sorry about your loss. I know what it means.

If I understand this correctly, my condolences to you also. Sadly, I have experienced this myself too and know something of about what it means as well.

Luckily, I also have a cat. She is only one third the age of Constanza but nonetheless she knows exactly what she wants and where she wants to be. Her name is Tonks (from a character in Harry Potter, of which my wife was a great fan).

75F8A6E9-864F-4D74-B2E3-4B177F5EAE6C.jpeg

And there the thread is back on topic again.
Cats. :relaxed:

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #51,352 of 149,848
The MJ2 was my first Schiit purchase back in May 2016. Since then I've added a pile of Schiit to my collection and still, ever time I fire it up and use it in balanced mode with my HP's it puts a smile on my face. With 26 matched pairs of 6DJ8's, 7DJ8's, 6922's and 2 matched pair of the iFi 5670 that came with adapters I can roll till I'm ready for a padded cell. The Amperex JAN 7308 are especially tasty even compared to my more expensive Telefunken's.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #51,353 of 149,848
Sorry about your loss, and my condolences.
I hope Constanza will be with you for a long time to come!

If I understand this correctly, my condolences to you also. Sadly, I have experienced this myself too and know something of about what it means as well.

Luckily, I also have a cat. She is only one third the age of Constanza but nonetheless she knows exactly what she wants and where she wants to be. Her name is Tonks (from a character in Harry Potter, of which my wife was a great fan).

And there the thread is back on topic again.
Cats. :relaxed:

Orange cats are special, but especially your girl, as only 1 in 5 orange cats are female. She's a fine looking beast!

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #51,355 of 149,848
IMHO, Mjolnir 2, amongst all Schiit, is in a class by itself, certainly with good, NOS bottles. It drives everything, with great authority, and enough clarity that it conveys convincingly exactly what it's given.

I continue to appreciate Valhalla 2, especially with 600 series Senns and NOS tubes, and a recent Jotunheim as well, but when I want the best quality attainable here, it's Mjolnir. Noms.

I own a Freya, Bifrost, and Lyr 2, and so I'm curious about the Mjolnir 2, but, really, the killer product that I want to buy from Schiit is a Freya+ plus Mjolnir's balanced HP output. Think of it like a tube Ragnarok in terms of quality, but as a pre-amp only ( and potentially with 2 x XLR). I know Mjolnir 2 can be used as a preamp, but obviously the Freya's flexibility makes it far more suited to being the hub of a system. Add in a quality headphone out and you've got something to build a complete 2 channel AND headphone system around.

Since the Freya only has 1 XLR out, and that's sent to my monoblock speaker amps, I can only send SE out to a headphone am. That's a bit of a bummer because I've got these balanced cables that came with my Clears and nothing balanced to use them with. So, either a built in headphone amp or, at least, a second XLR would be very welcome.

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #51,356 of 149,848
The MJ2 was my first Schiit purchase back in May 2016. Since then I've added a pile of Schiit to my collection and still, ever time I fire it up and use it in balanced mode with my HP's it puts a smile on my face. With 26 matched pairs of 6DJ8's, 7DJ8's, 6922's and 2 matched pair of the iFi 5670 that came with adapters I can roll till I'm ready for a padded cell. The Amperex JAN 7308 are especially tasty even compared to my more expensive Telefunken's.
Now I know whom to go to for tube advice on the Mjolnir lol, and I saw elsewhere that 6sn7's with adapters were not a good fit for that amp.

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #51,357 of 149,848
I own a Freya, Bifrost, and Lyr 2, and so I'm curious about the Mjolnir 2, but, really, the killer product that I want to buy from Schiit is a Freya+ plus Mjolnir's balanced HP output. Think of it like a tube Ragnarok in terms of quality, but as a pre-amp only ( and potentially with 2 x XLR). I know Mjolnir 2 can be used as a preamp, but obviously the Freya's flexibility makes it far more suited to being the hub of a system. Add in a quality headphone out and you've got something to build a complete 2 channel AND headphone system around.

Since the Freya only has 1 XLR out, and that's sent to my monoblock speaker amps, I can only send SE out to a headphone am. That's a bit of a bummer because I've got these balanced cables that came with my Clears and nothing balanced to use them with. So, either a built in headphone amp or, at least, a second XLR would be very welcome.
I have both Freya and Mjolnir 2 and used as pre-amps.
In my ears the Freya just sounds better in that configuration.
The Mjolnir 2 as a pre-amp sounds a little bit too clean and harsh for my taste.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #51,358 of 149,848
Now I know whom to go to for tube advice on the Mjolnir lol, and I saw elsewhere that 6sn7's with adapters were not a good fit for that amp.

I never tried anything but the 6DJ8 types. I never used it as a preamp either, just with HP's.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #51,359 of 149,848

Since the Freya only has 1 XLR out, and that's sent to my monoblock speaker amps, I can only send SE out to a headphone am. That's a bit of a bummer because I've got these balanced cables that came with my Clears and nothing balanced to use them with. So, either a built in headphone amp or, at least, a second XLR would be very welcome.[/QUOTE Deleted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back