Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #50,686 of 151,264
Guys,
I have the following tube:
6N8S (6H8C) OTK Melz IV - 1953

Is this the same as what you are discussing?
Not really tried it. Only have one, so it has to be in the Vali 2.
Comments and suggestions?
Source for more if I like it :wink:

In addition to the details @Paladin79 listed, there should be '1578' silkscreened on the glass.

The '50's Melz that don't meet all those criteria are still quite good sounding tubes, just not to the same level as the true 1578's.

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #50,687 of 151,264
In addition to the details @Paladin79 listed, there should be '1578' silkscreened on the glass.

The '50's Melz that don't meet all those criteria are still quite good sounding tubes, just not to the same level as the true 1578's.

I am not so sure that silk screen is always there, I have read differing info on that. 2976020.jpg

This is some of the info I am referring to, I want to say this was first shown to me by someone named Cowen but I could be wrong. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #50,688 of 151,264
My next wish, now that Bifrost 2 (Gumby, Jr) is a reality ...

Super Loki -- Loki in a BF2 sized chassis with at least the same controls as Loki mini (maybe add 1 more), but also integ
My next wish, now that Bifrost 2 (Gumby, Jr) is a reality ...

Super Loki -- Loki in a BF2 sized chassis with at least the same controls as Loki mini (maybe add 1 more), but also integrate a SYS A/B switch and a 64 step volume with remote!! :wink:

you mean essentially merging a Saga S and loki into one box... some technical challenges there :frowning2:
hum fields from required internal transformer coupling into inductors in LC loki-style tone circuits, cramped front-panel, shortage of internal circuit board real-estate (needs two discrete buffer stages). Would fit a Freya-sized chassis, and be priced between a Freya S and Freya+.

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #50,689 of 151,264
It needs to match the photo Audionics posted.
10350826_thumb.jpg

Holes in the plates, top metal wings, not mica, and the area that sticks out on the bottom mica. Melz made plenty of other tubes but these are the type you want.

Nope different tube. Two rectangular holes per plate, mica wings, oval bottom mica and no "1578".
Thanks for the info.
Still going to move it into the Vali 2 asap.

For now, I am back on the mill, just accepted another consulting job today, Short notice and string.
Much to do prior to a meeting Monday evening and I already have a meeting tomorrow, just finishing up for that one now.
What retirement?
Fourteen days and counting until I leave to see the new granddaughter :L3000:
Having 2muchfun.

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #50,691 of 151,264
'm glad you didn't mention 300B's. Jason might see it and start thinking about making one. That will have to cost more than the $700 the Bifrost 2 is going to cost me, so I appreciate you looking out for my financial well being.
Then there's this for the real risk takers :wink:

6OJH40lTBdR7vkzO2BiFmhsOXFSy59YGvGALL6yLjLlx29F4cUhNFJ-3BsvzwKShHMxoqqL8ztVaRRNj63xePjGeJNIfXDKY1iqEIm1UR_qeGDqyIpXgnUt3dC7cdRt5VMt1yxF8Lg=w673-h897-no

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #50,692 of 151,264
I'm glad you didn't mention 300B's. Jason might see it and start thinking about making one. That will have to cost more than the $700 the Bifrost 2 is going to cost me, so I appreciate you looking out for my financial well being. :grimacing:

And I never thought of the surgical mask...probably should consider that. :slight_smile: I go to some lengths with my LP's because the majority of them were purchased at yard sales, thrift shops, given by friends, etc. Most are nasty when I get them. I refuse to stick the stylus of a $2k cartridge into unknown muck, kinda like I refuse to stick nasty tube pins in my tester. Anal? OCD? Ridiculous? No doubt. I admit it. But when you get that LP with a glorious recording and a background that's just as quiet and noise free as a CD, it's all worth it. Unless of course I don't feel like messing with it and just pull up Tidal on the laptop. :slight_smile:

Checking Amazon now for surgical masks….
Breaking Bcowen...LP edition :wink:

_104226198_breakingbad.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #50,693 of 151,264
We still need an effective mass spec for the Sol arm. A low mass arm with a low compliance cartridge will not make very good music. I think I read somewhere back that the Sol and the Denon DL-103R were a nice pairing. If my memory is correct, then the Sol must be at least a medium mass arm or the two would probably not work well together (the Denon's compliance is quite low).
The 3 cartridges I have seen mentioned as being used on the Sol would appear to be medium compliance (the 10Hz compliances of the Japanese cartridges are "guesstimates")

Denon 103R - Compliance:
100Hz Dynamic compliance: 5 x 10-6 cm/dyne
10Hz Dynamic compliance: about 12 x 10-6 cm/dyne at 10 hz (?)

NAGAOKA MP-110 MP
100Hz Dynamic compliance: 6.0 x 10-6 cm/dyne
10Hz Dynamic compliance: 12 x 10-6 cm/dyne (?)
Static compliance: 18 x 10-6 cm/dyne

Decca Maroon
10Hz Dynamic compliance: 15x10-6 cm/Dyne

and a typical widely used MM cartridge as a reference (?)

AT 95E
Static Compliance 20 x 10–6 cm/dyne
100 Hz Dynamic Compliance 6.5 x 10–6 cm/dyne
10Hz Dynamic compliance: 13 x 10-6 cm/dyne (?)

@bcowen, don't forget to get one of these to go with your surgical mask :grinning:

61JUTABTYrL._SX342_.jpg

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #50,694 of 151,264
Sep 11, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #50,695 of 151,264
I use sous vide at home. Does a fantastic job with many foods. I don't normally cook my steaks this way, but it is possible to do a reverse sear using sous vide.

Yes, the reverse sear works very well on Sous Vide steaks. I use it frequently. The trick is to have the pan/grill/bbq really (and I mean REALLY hot) so you are only searing for about 30 seconds a side. Can serve immediately after the sear too, no need to rest

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #50,696 of 151,264
Yes, the reverse sear works very well on Sous Vide steaks. I use it frequently. The trick is to have the pan/grill/bbq really (and I mean REALLY hot) so you are only searing for about 30 seconds a side. Can serve immediately after the sear too, no need to rest
I thought sear first (to seal in the juices) then slow bake / broil ???

on another topic (espresso machines DIY repair), does anyone know if the Ulka pump output connection is barbed (push on/ pry off) or threaded? if threaded then is it conventional (lefty loosy righty tighty viewed from hose side of pump body) or left-handed?

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #50,697 of 151,264
you mean essentially merging a Saga S and loki into one box... some technical challenges there :frowning2:
hum fields from required internal transformer coupling into inductors in LC loki-style tone circuits, cramped front-panel, shortage of internal circuit board real-estate (needs two discrete buffer stages). Would fit a Freya-sized chassis, and be priced between a Freya S and Freya+.

Just a Loki w/ 2 in / 1 out and a stepped volume with remote. There's a power supply in the current Loki in a smaller Modi-sized enclosure and no issues with hum. I'm just saying add a remote stepped attenuator and a passive 2 way output switch. Look at what they've managed to cram into Lyr 3 and BF2. As the owner of a Schiit mid-size stack, a Freya enclosure is not something I or other mid-size owners would really desire. I could see a Loki Max with more EQ controls w/ balanced in a Freya sized enclosure for the larger footprint Schiit line-up, however, I just hope they can continue to show love to the owners of their mid-sized gear by providing something akin to what I've described. If it can be done, there's no better/smarter folks to make it happen. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #50,698 of 151,264
Just a Loki w/ 2 in / 1 out and a stepped volume with remote. There's a power supply in the current Loki in a smaller Modi-sized enclosure and no issues with hum. I'm just saying add a remote stepped attenuator and a passive 2 way output switch. Look at what they've managed to cram into Lyr 3 and BF2. As the owner of a Schiit mid-size stack, a Freya enclosure is not something I or other mid-size owners would really desire. I could see a Loki Max with more EQ controls w/ balanced in a Freya sized enclosure for the larger footprint Schiit line-up, however, I just hope they can continue to show love to the owners of their mid-sized gear by providing something akin to what I've described. If it can be done, there's no better/smarter folks to make it happen. :wink:

I understand the appeal of a mid-sized enclosure. Loki has the advantage that the transformer (wall wart) is external to the box, so the transformer hum field doesn't interact with the inductors in the Loki filter circuit. Looking at the Saga S circuit board pics, the remote volume feature needs a 5V digital supply for the PIC processor and relay drivers, in addition to the plus and minus ~15V rails for the buffers, hence the use of an in the box transformer (3 separate voltages). Balance trim via remote only (couple of dB's favoring either channel, could be done with a few more relays and relay driver chips). Still have problems fitting the control knobs (alps rk09 dual pots) on the front panel, along with volume knob and LED indicators, far enough away from the transformer's hum field. Other parts of Loki circuit (LC circuits) sensitive to hum field. Active filters could eliminate the need for inductors, but would necessitate the use of op-amps. Not sure effective shielding could meet cost requirements. Replacing the loki discrete buffers with the more compact ones in Saga would help, but circuit board layout would be non-trivial.

@Jason, I have a lot of respect for the techs that troubleshoot and repair the Jotenhiem & Lyr 3 modules. lotsa SMT right next to tall caps & connectors...

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #50,699 of 151,264
I'd even settle for Loki-mid with no remote and standard manual alps pot. It would be essentially a passive SYS switcher incorporated into mid-size enclosure Loki -- external wall wart is also not a deal breaker for me. For me it's more about a mid-size enclosure and combining Loki and SYS. Something that would look nice when stacked with Lyr 3 and Bifrost 2. If it had remote switching and volume, that would just be the cherry on top of the sundae..

Oh, well. One can dream ... :slight_smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back