Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 14, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #49,291 of 150,578
I still recall my best friend's much older brother playing, gleefully, "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" from Ummagumma, when I was 12, as he watched my astonishment, and laughed. I was so flabbergasted by what I heard, that the next day I biked to the local record store and bought every record of theirs I could find (I remember biking home with my hands full of records, hands free of the handlebars, hoping against hope I didn't crash - ha!). Spent the entire weekend glued to my turntable. Been a dedicated fan ever since.

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #49,292 of 150,578
I know of the tubular seduction. I still have a firebottle based OTL headphone amp (6BX7/6528) I built in the mid 90's in storage. It's a bit too big for my current available space though, so in the box it will stay. Someday. I've been seriously considering picking up either a Vali 2 or a Valhalla. The Vali 2 would fit nicely on the top of my modest stack. I'll need more space for Valhalla. And I have a healthy collection of tubes with which to roll with - lots of 6922, 6BQ7, 5760, etc.

Another neglected hobby of mine is restoring old 500 series Tektronix oscilloscopes. I own 13 so far (only some restored, the rest are waiting...), my favorite is my fully restored 547 w/ 1A4 plugin. Doubles as a space heater in the winter. Real oscilloscopes glow in the dark. http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/547#/media/File:Tek_547_Tubes.jpg
Real [non-sampling] analog o'scopes that have wide bandwidth and high performance are rare today. Keep your blue-green space heaters glowing!

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #49,293 of 150,578
bottlehead_badge
And I'll throw out another group for the music collection: Incubus

I never listened to them much but I will go back and check them out. I did have a cat named Incubus, his full name was Incubus Elegans (elegant nightmare).

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #49,294 of 150,578
I know of the tubular seduction. I still have a firebottle based OTL headphone amp (6BX7/6528) I built in the mid 90's in storage. It's a bit too big for my current available space though, so in the box it will stay. Someday. I've been seriously considering picking up either a Vali 2 or a Valhalla. The Vali 2 would fit nicely on the top of my modest stack. I'll need more space for Valhalla. And I have a healthy collection of tubes with which to roll with - lots of 6922, 6BQ7, 5760, etc.

Another neglected hobby of mine is restoring old 500 series Tektronix oscilloscopes. I own 13 so far (only some restored, the rest are waiting...), my favorite is my fully restored 547 w/ 1A4 plugin. Doubles as a space heater in the winter. Real oscilloscopes glow in the dark. http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/547#/media/File:Tek_547_Tubes.jpg

I have not seen a working 500 series scope in ages, I have a few Tektronix in my shop but they are much newer and smaller except for one that is rack mounted.

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #49,295 of 150,578

I like the way you think. :slight_smile:

I have a limited space to work with as well for my HP rig. Not sure if the little Schiit will play nicely with bigger tube Schiit like the Valhalla, but it stacks nicely enough on the Lyr 3. :grin:

Stack.jpg

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #49,296 of 150,578
If one likes Dixie Dregs (and I love them), check out Steve Morse's solo efforts. Also -- the work of 'The Aristocrats'. :wink:

You like the Dregs? Holy cow. My respect for you is growing by the day.

(just on that though). :stuck_out_tongue:

Aug 14, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #49,297 of 150,578
Non-sequitur/off-topic (no cats):

Grado's internet store 4ourears.net is now selling Schiit Amps and DACs.

I got an email yesterday announcing it.

They have a regular contest in their emails, the current one has a chance to win a Schiit Amp (a Fulla I think); the emails don't render properly on my work PC.

https://www.4ourears.net/Articles.asp?ID=266

My first set of Audiophile phones are some SR-225s from back in 1998, still use them. Grado told me in the past that they love Schiit and use them professionally.

:gs1000smile:

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #49,298 of 150,578

They have a regular contest in their emails, the current one has a chance to win a Schiit Amp (a Fulla I think); the emails don't render properly on my work PC.

My first set of Audiophile phones are some SR-225s from back in 1998, still use them. Grado told me in the past that they love Schiit and use them professionally.

The prices are cheaper than Schiit.com, if you factor in the free shipping (at least for me on the east coast).

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #49,299 of 150,578
The prices are cheaper than Schiit.com, if you factor in the free shipping (at least for me on the east coast).

Yeah much cheaper, I also live east coast and shipping is always pretty high out this way.

Also on the "Specials" tab looks like they are planning to offer headphone and amp bundles and the like shortly.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #49,300 of 150,578

Good to know. Thanks!

And the Fulla is one of my favorite Schiit names other than EITR (which is pronounced "eater" if you haven't looked at one). :grin:

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #49,301 of 150,578
I've been seriously considering picking up either a Vali 2 or a Valhalla. The Vali 2 would fit nicely on the top of my modest stack.
I've read some very positive comments lately that the Modi MB -> Loki -> Vali 2 is a tremendous Schiit stack :)

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #49,302 of 150,578
I've read some very positive comments lately that the Modi MB -> Loki -> Vali 2 is a tremendous Schiit stack :)
There were five B stock Vali's a couple days ago but they went pretty fast. I was not quick enough to buy a second, I want to be able to A/B specific tubes and that is an inexpensive way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back