Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 13, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #49,276 of 149,271
Echos is my all time favorite Floyd cut. That it took up the entire second side of Meddle was amazing when I first discovered it.

I lean towards High Hopes from Division Bell myself. :smile_phones:

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #49,278 of 149,271

Truth be told, I'm a Floyd fanatic in general.

When they split up, Roger Waters' early post-Floyd work grated on my nerves. Too much whining about the same personal trauma. OTOH, Gilmore's solo works are very enjoyable.

Yes is another old fave.
And for out and out tight musicianship, The Dixie Dregs are a fun romp - they were as tight live as in the studio.

One of the things I really love about having a headphone system that has lots of detail is being able to dive into the music, listening to the little subtle things going on under the layers. What has amazed me about the Modi MB -> Loki -> Magni stack is how wonderful it sounds for so little $$.

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #49,279 of 149,271
Truth be told, I'm a Floyd fanatic in general.

When they split up, Roger Waters' early post-Floyd work grated on my nerves. Too much whining about the same personal trauma. OTOH, Gilmore's solo works are very enjoyable.

Yes is another old fave.
And for out and out tight musicianship, The Dixie Dregs are a fun romp - they were as tight live as in the studio.

One of the things I really love about having a headphone system that has lots of detail is being able to dive into the music, listening to the little subtle things going on under the layers. What has amazed me about the Modi MB -> Loki -> Magni stack is how wonderful it sounds for so little $$.
Which headphones?

I use the Dregs Calcutta at times for serious listening/testing. Trying it now with a National Union black glass 6sn7gt and a Tung Sol 5998 tube.

Oh and Goin' to Town by the Dregs...I generally start switching out tubes here in search of a bit more bass

Ok I just popped in a 5692 CBS/Hytron, I need to buy more of these while they are out there.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #49,280 of 149,271
I was very surprised how much I enjoyed The Division Bell...Gilmore kept the feeling and subtlety of Pink Floyd with this album. There are a few lyrics that I disagree with, but otherwise its a fantastic album. What really surprised me was how much I disliked Waters solo venture which had me stray clear of Gilmore's for too long.

Animals is still one of my favorite Floyd albums, its a toss up with "Is there anybody out There"

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #49,281 of 149,271
I was very surprised how much I enjoyed The Division Bell...Gilmore kept the feeling and subtlety of Pink Floyd with this album. There are a few lyrics that I disagree with, but otherwise its a fantastic album. What really surprised me was how much I disliked Waters solo venture which had me stray clear of Gilmore's for too long.

Animals is still one of my favorite Floyd albums, its a toss up with "Is there anybody out There"

Excellent points on Division Bell.

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #49,282 of 149,271
I still recall my best friend's much older brother playing, gleefully, "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" from Ummagumma, when I was 12, as he watched my astonishment, and laughed. I was so flabbergasted by what I heard, that the next day I biked to the local record store and bought every record of theirs I could find (I remember biking home with my hands full of records, hands free of the handlebars, hoping against hope I didn't crash - ha!). Spent the entire weekend glued to my turntable. Been a dedicated fan ever since.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #49,283 of 149,271
What has amazed me about the Modi MB -> Loki -> Magni stack is how wonderful it sounds for so little $$.

I am *not* going to say a word about tubes, I promise. Not a word about a Vali 2 or a Valhalla...nope, nothing like that. You will thank me endlessly later for not inducing a stroll down that path and subsequently spending all your money on tub....wait, I promised not to say that word. Valves. There. I didn't promise not to say that. :relaxed:

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #49,284 of 149,271
I am *not* going to say a word about tubes, I promise. Not a word about a Vali 2 or a Valhalla...nope, nothing like that. You will thank me endlessly later for not inducing a stroll down that path and subsequently spending all your money on tub....wait, I promised not to say that word. Valves. There. I didn't promise not to say that. :relaxed:

I know of the tubular seduction. I still have a firebottle based OTL headphone amp (6BX7/6528) I built in the mid 90's in storage. It's a bit too big for my current available space though, so in the box it will stay. Someday. I've been seriously considering picking up either a Vali 2 or a Valhalla. The Vali 2 would fit nicely on the top of my modest stack. I'll need more space for Valhalla. And I have a healthy collection of tubes with which to roll with - lots of 6922, 6BQ7, 5760, etc.

Another neglected hobby of mine is restoring old 500 series Tektronix oscilloscopes. I own 13 so far (only some restored, the rest are waiting...), my favorite is my fully restored 547 w/ 1A4 plugin. Doubles as a space heater in the winter. Real oscilloscopes glow in the dark. http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/547#/media/File:Tek_547_Tubes.jpg

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #49,285 of 149,271
Which headphones?

I use the Dregs Calcutta at times for serious listening/testing. Trying it now with a National Union black glass 6sn7gt and a Tung Sol 5998 tube.

Oh and Goin' to Town by the Dregs...I generally start switching out tubes here in search of a bit more bass

Ok I just popped in a 5692 CBS/Hytron, I need to buy more of these while they are out there.

Current favorite 'phones are the HiFiMan HE-400 when it's quiet in the house - do want to move up the ladder in the planar world but need to go listen to some before spending more $$ on a pair. Also have the Sennheiser HD650, Beyer DT990, Focal Spirit Pro. Oh, and a pair of the Etymotic ER4XR for on the go listening.

A tube headphone amp is in my future. Just need to figure out how to make some space for it....

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #49,286 of 149,271
Dregs Calcutta and Goin' to Town by the Dregs.
Love the Dregs too! I have Full Circle (Goin' to Town) is on that one. I was gonna head to sleep but decided to listen to some Dregs now, Road Expense off of Dregs of the Earth. Steve Morse in his solo groups is awesome too. The Introduction, Stand up ect. Excellent stuff!

Aug 14, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #49,288 of 149,271
If one likes Dixie Dregs (and I love them), check out Steve Morse's solo efforts. Also -- the work of 'The Aristocrats'. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #49,289 of 149,271
Kawaii Metal: Kawaii in Japanese mean "cute." Kawaii in Japan is kind of a big deal. There is even a TV show on Kawaii Culture, where several people compare and show off their latest Kawaii finds.
BabyMetal was the first Kawaii Metal band. I stumbled onto them, and quickly found Band-Maid, which I think has more to them:

Both Band-Maid and Babymetal are touring the US right now. Don't miss your chance.
(This from somebody who grew up on Grand Funk, Black Sabbath...Varese, Stravinsky, Ligeti, Beethoven, Bach...Zappa)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #49,290 of 149,271
I just couldn't enjoy Floyd's albums after The Wall. The Final Cut seemed like a collection of outakes (from the Wall). And I found Momentary Lapse Of Reason too spunky for my tastes.
Your proto-emo-prog-bubbleblower,
ScubaMan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back