Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 5, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #48,992 of 149,297
If you only like to listen to Classical music through headphones, I can relate, as I have gained this appreciation. And if you just want to hear Led Zeppelin II on a really good stereo, I can do that.

What? No Manson? I'm chagrined. :relaxed:

The real issue is whether we can disagree, without being disagreeable.

That sums up my personal feelings on this whole thing in one concise sentence. Nicely stated.

Aug 5, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #48,993 of 149,297
Anybody remember the Monster Cable litany of threatened lawsuits a number of years ago? They were sending cease and desist letters, and even intent-to-sue letters to anybody using the word Monster in their brand or company name. Easily confusable entities like Monster Mini-Golf and Monster car wash...you know stuff that was real similar. I remember LMAO at the response from Blue Jeans Cable to their initial threat (which was over a connector design) -- made me want to buy some Blue Jeans cables even though I didn't need any. :relaxed: Never followed it to see what the eventual outcome was, although I haven't bought a Monster Cable product since (and never will again) due to their strong arm and threatening tactics.

This was Blue Jean's response:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/response041408.pdf

Main page here:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/

Thanks for posting this. I haven't read it in a couple years, and it's always a good read :)

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #48,994 of 149,297
That's a pretty funny story from a few years ago.

Not surprising at all was my experience with the Coca-Cola Corporation of Atlanta. I got a cease and desist from infringing their trademark in a column I had penned about the 4-H Fair queen candidates had enjoyed Pizza and Cokes at the poolside home of ...whomever. I wrote another column about the nice engraved stationery, in multiple colors (1975) and the nice tone of such a major Worldwide concern to an article in the Tipton Daily Tribune, maybe 2,000 paid circulation. And in my proto sarcastic self suggested that their concerns were noted, and in the future, the local Pepsi bottler has already said they would be glad to provide for the 4-H queen candidates. I think I still have the letter around here or it was disposed of with trash...

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #48,995 of 149,297
I buy a few here and there and one think I believe the tubes I am sending to Schiit will show is that there are some amazing $20 tubes out there if you take the time to hunt them down. You do have to take the time to learn what to look for but that is just part of the process. I do have some tubes in the $100-$200 range and some of those are included as well. If nothing else this blind test is a good indicator of whether or not it is worth it to you to spend the money. If all tubes sound alike, why bother? Different tubes do have different characteristics but not everyone can pick up on that. To me those differences are a lot bigger than what you might get from headphone cables and there are folks that spend hundreds of dollars on very little improvement, if any.:)
When the big reveal happens, I’m looking forward to what my peeps prefer, eh (my Valhalla 2 and Vali 2 are the end of my tube fascination [perhaps a future DAC upgrade... and then go whole-hog on different headphones]... meh, we’ll see).

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #48,996 of 149,297
A bunch of my friends and I blind A/B tested the Jotunheim to the Schiit Vali 2 (with 6BZ7 tube and Amperex ECC88/6DJ8 Orange Globe Logo O-Getter tube) with a 3.5mm switcher and we all could tell no difference between the amps.
My Vali 2 (and its oddball adapter) is on par with my Valahlla 2. Once I installed larger knobs on the Vali, I find myself returning to it for casual listening. It’s a tough little toaster. I don’t need all-in-one units (i.e., Lyr, Jotunheim). I got space. Meh, my 2 cents.

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #48,997 of 149,297
This is what will go in my 300B-driven Lyr 4 as soon as Jason gets it built. :slight_smile:

Perhaps a bit of overkill for a 300B, but there are 4 things I know of where there is no such thing as too much: sex, money, tube stash...and power. :sunglasses:

...and the first time a Lyr-with-a-300B-bolted-on returns to the service desk... I wonder how it’ll be received? And how much hairy-eyeballs... Heh.

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #48,998 of 149,297
When the big reveal happens, I’m looking forward to what my peeps prefer, eh (my Valhalla 2 and Vali 2 are the end of my tube fascination [perhaps a future DAC upgrade... and then go whole-hog on different headphones]... meh, we’ll see).
Tubes are not for everyone but I like them, and enjoy changing sound a bit and discovering tonal nuances. Ymmv

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #48,999 of 149,297
...and the first time a Lyr-with-a-300B-bolted-on returns to the service desk... I wonder how it’ll be received? And how much hairy-eyeballs... Heh.

I'm working on a 300B adapter for my Lyr 3. Problem is all the extra weight keeps tipping the amp over on its side. Need a cinder block on the other end I guess (with a Lithuanian rare-earth vibration pad between it and the Lyr, of course). :smiley:

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #49,001 of 149,297
I would argue that science does indeed know everything there is to know about electricity running through wire, but that those effects are not what is important in audio. :)
You Sir are the reason I tolerate the cats and coffee conversations....:beyersmile:

Aug 6, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #49,002 of 149,297
Well here's my experience. I've found neither me or my wife like being forced to click on something extra to add more money to the purchase price. It's hard enough deciding whether the purchase price is worth it let alone whether two day shipping is worth it. Because now the company is forcing people to put a price on how much they value their own impatience.

To find out how much more it is, we'd go through the hassle of creating accounts, then "calculating shipping" only to find out we are going to be paying $10 more than we intended...and waiting over a week, or $25 for two day shipping. Then the question becomes - well is the extra $15 really worth it? About 80% of the time I simply cancelled my order. I'd either do without or just pop down to the store.

I can guarantee you when I purchased my heavy 70 pound monoblock amps, if I had realized that shipping was going to be another $120 for two day shipping, I wouldn't have bothered. But it wasn't. It was "free" two day shipping and I got that amp in two business days and I was thrilled. I did not think twice about how much I paid for shipping.

Once my wife and I moved to a website that offered free two day shipping and now one day shipping, our number of purchases have risen by a lot! It's because it removed an extra step of thinking - "yeah but what about shipping?" or "well what's the slowest speed I want it". It's taken out. I've got "free" two day or one day shipping - whether I like it or not - and I couldn't be happier. The number of trips to the store to "save on shipping" have gone down a lot too.

I suspect you'll sell a good bit more if you simply do just that. Increase the price - blanket fast speed delivery - increase customer satisfaction.

Coming late to the discussion on the USPS with a few comments. I've had a size business for 20 years selling on eBay and various 'hobby' sites dedicated to cameras, audio, Barbie Dolls, Weddings and others. BTW, if anybody can help me erase my memories of vintage Barbie Dolls, let me know.

1. Free Shipping from Amazon: Amazon has a lot of regional warehouses around the county they stock with commodity items. So the Book/Shoes/electronics you buy from Amazon may be less than 250 miles away. This cuts delivery time and costs. This strategy currently seems feasible for Amazon and...probably no other business.

2. Shipping for Schiit: Schiit is on the West Coast. Shipping a 5 lb Mani can fit into a USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail box and will cost $15 (numbers in this post are ball-park / close but not exact) almost anywhere in the USA. Shipping a 40 lb amp via the US Mail may cost $25 to ship to the West coast, but $125 to ship to the East Coast. This is a factoid that most people who don't ship things simply aren't aware of. Just like most people are totally unaware of greening that can affect vintage Barbie Dolls. (Sorry. The metal ear rings in early Barbie Dolls corroded to a green color, staining the ear and nearby face.)
With such a large price differential for heavier items, calculated shipping as opposed to flat rate makes a lot of sense. Or, you could move the company to the mid-west, equalizing the distance between the East and West Coast and charge everyone the same, adjusted for the company to break even on shipping.
a. When placing on-line orders I also do not like shipping costs sprung at the end of placing an order. To prevent the shipping cost surprise a limited number or rates, or rate ranges, with the cost displayed in a side box might be a solution? Ebay displays a shipping cost if you are logged in most of the time. If the seller offers different rates you can click to see other rates. For Schiit that would likely be too hard to implement.

3. Shipping prices before circa 2003 were pretty stable. Now prices seem to change every few years. Or months. (The change is always up.)

4. USPS has always had the lowest fees charged to the recipient for International Shipping.

5. USPS has favored shipping partners, or something with a similar name. Through one of those partners you can get discounts and the lowest rates, such as First Class Parcel, that you cannot buy directly from the post office. Paypal and Ebay are favored partners, and there are others.

6. Ebay has a severe case of Amazon Envy. They have been pushing sellers to offer free shipping ala Amazon for years. It's a disease.

Aug 6, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #49,003 of 149,297
Coming late to the discussion on the USPS with a few comments. I've had a size business for 20 years selling on eBay and various 'hobby' sites dedicated to cameras, audio, Barbie Dolls, Weddings and others. BTW, if anybody can help me erase my memories of vintage Barbie Dolls, let me know.

1. Free Shipping from Amazon: Amazon has a lot of regional warehouses around the county they stock with commodity items. So the Book/Shoes/electronics you buy from Amazon may be less than 250 miles away. This cuts delivery time and costs. This strategy currently seems feasible for Amazon and...probably no other business.

2. Shipping for Schiit: Schiit is on the West Coast. Shipping a 5 lb Mani can fit into a USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail box and will cost $15 (numbers in this post are ball-park / close but not exact) almost anywhere in the USA. Shipping a 40 lb amp via the US Mail may cost $25 to ship to the West coast, but $125 to ship to the East Coast. This is a factoid that most people who don't ship things simply aren't aware of. Just like most people are totally unaware of greening that can affect vintage Barbie Dolls. (Sorry. The metal ear rings in early Barbie Dolls corroded to a green color, staining the ear and nearby face.)
With such a large price differential for heavier items, calculated shipping as opposed to flat rate makes a lot of sense. Or, you could move the company to the mid-west, equalizing the distance between the East and West Coast and charge everyone the same, adjusted for the company to break even on shipping.
a. When placing on-line orders I also do not like shipping costs sprung at the end of placing an order. To prevent the shipping cost surprise a limited number or rates, or rate ranges, with the cost displayed in a side box might be a solution? Ebay displays a shipping cost if you are logged in most of the time. If the seller offers different rates you can click to see other rates. For Schiit that would likely be too hard to implement.

3. Shipping prices before circa 2003 were pretty stable. Now prices seem to change every few years. Or months. (The change is always up.)

4. USPS has always had the lowest fees charged to the recipient for International Shipping.

5. USPS has favored shipping partners, or something with a similar name. Through one of those partners you can get discounts and the lowest rates, such as First Class Parcel, that you cannot buy directly from the post office. Paypal and Ebay are favored partners, and there are others.

6. Ebay has a severe case of Amazon Envy. They have been pushing sellers to offer free shipping ala Amazon for years. It's a disease.

Ebay and now Etsy are forcing sellers into "free" shipping. It's going to kill my wife's business. Silver lining: she's bringing her Amazon expertise to Schiit.

Thanks for the input!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 6, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #49,004 of 149,297
Hey all, it's time for SchiitrMeet 5: Cartridge Thunderdome

Join us this Thursday, August 8, from 6-10PM at the Schiitr for a blind audition of 4 (or more) cartridges on the near-production Sol. These cartridges will be pre-mounted and set up on Sol's easily swappable arm, and we're hoping to also take rips from each cartridge on Jil so you can listen later. We're going to be going through a wide range of cartridge types and cost levels, so you'll get an idea of how Sol can scale.

If you have a favorite cartridge, bring it by and maybe we can set it up--or at least listen to it after the main event.

If you're in the area, come see us at:

The Schiitr
22508 Market Street
Newhall, CA 91321
August 8, 6-10PM

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 6, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #49,005 of 149,297
Ebay and now Etsy are forcing sellers into "free" shipping. It's going to kill my wife's business. Silver lining: she's bringing her Amazon expertise to Schiit.

Thanks for the input!
I've been selling items large and small on eBay for almost twenty years. For the smaller stuff, I now just offer free shipping and bump the price up to compensate. For the larger items, calculated shipping is generally the way to go. I haven't noticed that eBay disallows charging shipping (although it does punish you in search results). But I guess I wouldn't put anything past them going forward...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back