Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 6, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #49,006 of 149,163
Hey all, it's time for SchiitrMeet 5: Cartridge Thunderdome

Join us this Thursday, August 8, from 6-10PM at the Schiitr for a blind audition of 4 (or more) cartridges on the near-production Sol. These cartridges will be pre-mounted and set up on Sol's easily swappable arm, and we're hoping to also take rips from each cartridge on Jil so you can listen later. We're going to be going through a wide range of cartridge types and cost levels, so you'll get an idea of how Sol can scale.

If you have a favorite cartridge, bring it by and maybe we can set it up--or at least listen to it after the main event.

If you're in the area, come see us at:

The Schiitr
22508 Market Street
Newhall, CA 91321
August 8, 6-10PM

All the best,
Jason

Unfortunately my visa has expired, and even if it was still valid, I don't think I'd be able to afford plane tickets from the south of Brazil to Newhall in such short notice. :beyersmile:

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #49,007 of 149,163
Coming late to the discussion on the USPS with a few comments. I've had a size business for 20 years selling on eBay and various 'hobby' sites dedicated to cameras, audio, Barbie Dolls, Weddings and others. BTW, if anybody can help me erase my memories of vintage Barbie Dolls, let me know.

1. Free Shipping from Amazon: Amazon has a lot of regional warehouses around the county they stock with commodity items. So the Book/Shoes/electronics you buy from Amazon may be less than 250 miles away. This cuts delivery time and costs. This strategy currently seems feasible for Amazon and...probably no other business.

2. Shipping for Schiit: Schiit is on the West Coast. Shipping a 5 lb Mani can fit into a USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail box and will cost $15 (numbers in this post are ball-park / close but not exact) almost anywhere in the USA. Shipping a 40 lb amp via the US Mail may cost $25 to ship to the West coast, but $125 to ship to the East Coast. This is a factoid that most people who don't ship things simply aren't aware of. Just like most people are totally unaware of greening that can affect vintage Barbie Dolls. (Sorry. The metal ear rings in early Barbie Dolls corroded to a green color, staining the ear and nearby face.)
With such a large price differential for heavier items, calculated shipping as opposed to flat rate makes a lot of sense. Or, you could move the company to the mid-west, equalizing the distance between the East and West Coast and charge everyone the same, adjusted for the company to break even on shipping.
a. When placing on-line orders I also do not like shipping costs sprung at the end of placing an order. To prevent the shipping cost surprise a limited number or rates, or rate ranges, with the cost displayed in a side box might be a solution? Ebay displays a shipping cost if you are logged in most of the time. If the seller offers different rates you can click to see other rates. For Schiit that would likely be too hard to implement.

3. Shipping prices before circa 2003 were pretty stable. Now prices seem to change every few years. Or months. (The change is always up.)

4. USPS has always had the lowest fees charged to the recipient for International Shipping.

5. USPS has favored shipping partners, or something with a similar name. Through one of those partners you can get discounts and the lowest rates, such as First Class Parcel, that you cannot buy directly from the post office. Paypal and Ebay are favored partners, and there are others.

6. Ebay has a severe case of Amazon Envy. They have been pushing sellers to offer free shipping ala Amazon for years. It's a disease.

Meta-comment: I suspect I'll still be doing the Amazon chapter, since it would be valuable to anyone who's in business to know about their latest tricks.

That said, one other comment:

"Amazon has a lot of regional warehouses around the county they stock with commodity items." Or, more accurately, "companies selling on Amazon stock these warehouses by paying to ship to them, and also pay for space in the warehouse, and also pay to bring returned stock back." Amazon don't stock nothin'. The vendors always pay. Always. In the past, Amazon Vendor worked differently (at a much higher vig and with 60 day terms), but Amazon isn't big on Vendor anymore, unless you're someone like Apple.

Yeah, maybe I need to do that Amazon chapter...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 6, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #49,008 of 149,163
I've been selling items large and small on eBay for almost twenty years. For the smaller stuff, I now just offer free shipping and bump the price up to compensate. For the larger items, calculated shipping is generally the way to go. I haven't noticed that eBay disallows charging shipping (although it does punish you in search results). But I guess I wouldn't put anything past them going forward...

Fair enough. I just repeat what Lisa says. Schiit doesn't sell on eBay, so we have no direct experience. I do know that Etsy requires free shipping over a certain dollar amount now.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 6, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #49,009 of 149,163
Amazon don't stock nothin'. The vendors always pay. Always. In the past, Amazon Vendor worked differently (at a much higher vig and with 60 day terms), but Amazon isn't big on Vendor anymore, unless you're someone like Apple.

Yeah, maybe I need to do that Amazon chapter...
Interesting. The last product I bought on Amazon said "sold by XYZ, fulfilled by Amazon." It arrived the next day. Gotta be the same thing.
Please do your chapter Jason, if you have time. I, for one, as a consumer am interested.

Aug 6, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #49,012 of 149,163
Fair enough. I just repeat what Lisa says. Schiit doesn't sell on eBay, so we have no direct experience. I do know that Etsy requires free shipping over a certain dollar amount now.
I've never sold anything on Etsy. However, a Google search on "mandatory free shipping Etsy" doesn't turn up anything by way of confirmation (that I see). It does appear Etsy is following eBay's lead in de-prioritizing items not offering free shipping in search results. Sophisticated buyers on eBay don't use the "Best Match" option, but rather sort search results by price (including shipping), in which case there's really no penalty for not offering free shipping.

The main disadvantage to the seller of offering free shipping arises in case of returns. The seller will necessarily have to eat the cost of the original shipment since it was "free". My experience indicates that returns can be minimized by offering detailed descriptions in one's listings. OTOH, I don't sell stuff like audio equipment where people often expect an in-home trial period.

Aug 6, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #49,013 of 149,163
My Oppo BDP-93 is taking a dump on me and gonna need a new transport soon.....(Quietly whispers... *any news on the Schiit transport?*)

Shhhhh. Please don't distract Jason from working on the 300B Lyr 4.

:slight_smile::slight_smile:

Aug 6, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #49,014 of 149,163
amazon has become a bully and treats their employees very badly. Their employment practices have decimated new hires to the point of becoming homeless after moving to seattle for a new job.

I for one will NEVER purchase ANYTHING from them ever again.

Bezos has turned to the dark side and his business practices reflect this mindset.

JJ

Aug 6, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #49,015 of 149,163

I bet he is giving it exactly the same amount of thought now as before. :)

Aug 6, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #49,017 of 149,163

You will probably get that freaking Lyr and it will be one of a kind since no one else wants to spend a fortune for the tubes for it.

I decided to go back and watch the Soprano's again and saw something that reminded me of @bcowen, a huge Marilyn Manson fan. 1550610414055-unnamed-1.jpeg Now mind you this is a fictional show and Anthony is probably 12 years old here or less so the Manson adoration is probably not real, as it is in Mr Cowen's case. :ksc75smile:

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #49,019 of 149,163
You will probably get that freaking Lyr and it will be one of a kind since no one else wants to spend a fortune for the tubes for it.

I decided to go back and watch the Soprano's again and saw something that reminded me of @bcowen, a huge Marilyn Manson fan. Now mind you this is a fictional show and Anthony is probably 12 years old here or less so the Manson adoration is probably not real, as it is in Mr Cowen's case. :ksc75smile:

Manson through an SET 300B headphone amp. MMMmmmmmm. I can already hear the gates of heaven creaking open. Perhaps an oxymoron in relation to Manson....:laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back