Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 14, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #48,346 of 149,387
Qobuz actually has 3 versions of the album in different resolutions, listed with different release dates:
16/44 January 18, 2008
24/192 December 31, 2013
24/96 February 27, 2014

I don't hear a difference between the two hi-res versions. As @Alcophone said, the 16/44 version sounds significantly louder than the hi-res. The 16/44 release was clearly mastered at a higher level or has dynamic compression which makes it sound louder. I think the distortion (which occurs at peaks) might be clipping. It would be interesting if someone runs the different versions through an analyzer for comparison.

RE: album "Just a little loving'" by Shelby Lynne -- and various versions

These are two tools I haven't used much, but interest me for figuring out if a "hi-res" album on HD Tracks for instance is worth it over a non Hi-Res version. I have been purchasing more with Qobuz Sublime+ lately though than on HD Tracks.

1) Dynamic Range Database
http://dr.loudness-war.info/

upload_2019-7-14_7-8-33.png

2) MusicScope
https://www.xivero.com/musicscope/

The MusicScope is a high precision software audio analyzer and measuring tool that works as an Audio-Microscope to visualize the different quality aspects of a music collection.

The implementation of international audio standards (EBU R128 and ITU-R BS-1770) allows a full comparability to professional studio software but with the advantage of being usable without the deep knowledge of an audio engineer. It is possible to analyze digital music but also analog sources like LPs or tape records.

Integrated modules (Jitter- and THD-Analyzer) allow the measurement of HiFi-Components (e.g. Digital to Analog Converters or Headphone Amplifiers).

Image.png
upload_2019-7-14_7-9-4.png

Software Audio Analyzer for high-resolution audio tracks to determine the frequency range and consequently the authenticity of the record.
Up-Sampled forgeries of standard records are easily identified.

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #48,347 of 149,387
I am well aware of what is going on at USPS. I think most people who frequent this thread. It is not a question that the employees of the USPS are good people who are being pushed too far. I think Ben Franklin would be appalled at the situation at his baby. This does not change the overall situation and how we as individuals and as a society respond to it.

I think that you mistake individual complaints with bashing the institution. I, personally, would gladly forgo individual luxuries for a reversal in the attrition of the bedrocks of society.
Congress has been using the Postal Service for its own secret piggy bank for decades not to mention outright trying to get rid of it. USPS can stink because that’s the intention of legislators.

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #48,351 of 149,387
Thanks! Can I see that info (bit depth, sample rate etc) in Tidal?
The Tidal app doesn't show that information. If your DAC has a resolution indicator, you can see what resolution it is receiving from Tidal. This album on Tidal happens to be an MQA Masters version, which are usually 48k FLAC files. You can set your Tidal player to do MQA software decoding and it will output a lossy 96k stream, or if you have an MQA enabled DAC it can hardware decode to a lossy higher resolution.

However, knowing the resolution wouldn't tell us much about the distortion. We don't know which master was used to create Tidal's MQA streaming file. Only the record label can provide the details. The streaming file might have been created from an existing master for CD or download distribution, or it could be a new remaster. Sometimes clipping or other distortion is allowed or even intentional to add some edge to the sound. It is up to the recording engineers and producers.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #48,352 of 149,387
Thanks! Can I see that info (bit depth, sample rate etc) in Tidal? It's not obvious to me.
To add to what @rkw said, if you use Tidal through Roon and probably some other software like Universal Audio Player PRO, you might see bit depth and sample rate. I only used a trial version of Roon once, and don't have Tidal anymore, but I appreciated that about Roon.

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #48,353 of 149,387
The Tidal app doesn't show that information. If your DAC has a resolution indicator, you can see what resolution it is receiving from Tidal. This album on Tidal happens to be an MQA Masters version, which are usually 48k FLAC files. You can set your Tidal player to do MQA software decoding and it will output a lossy 96k stream, or if you have an MQA enabled DAC it can hardware decode to a lossy higher resolution.

However, knowing the resolution wouldn't tell us much about the distortion. We don't know which master was used to create Tidal's MQA streaming file. Only the record label can provide the details. The streaming file might have been created from an existing master for CD or download distribution, or it could be a new remaster. Sometimes clipping or other distortion is allowed or even intentional to add some edge to the sound. It is up to the recording engineers and producers.

To add to what @rkw said, if you use Tidal through Roon and probably some other software like Universal Audio Player PRO, you might see bit depth and sample rate. I only used a trial version of Roon once, and don't have Tidal anymore, but I appreciated that about Roon.

Thanks for your inputs @rkw and @Alcophone :beerchug:

Jul 14, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #48,354 of 149,387
Re: the last few days comments.

UPS, FedEx, and USPS are all good or bad depending upon the area. Here UPS is awesome, USPS isn't quite as awesome as UPS, but is a close 2nd. FedEx sucks especially if you get the FedEx Ground driver. The faster FedEx services are marginally better. As is usually the case, it all comes down to the people.

On Schiit Discounting. Some good deals on Amazon. With those coupons some items can be had for cheaper then A stock on schiit.com. I wonder how much of this has to do with Prime Days and the fact that the few reviews posted for Schiit products are not great. Most seem to focus on poor customer service rather then the item itself. Perhaps they are trying to get their ratings up. Amazon sellers generally live and die by their star ratings. I generally only shop for items 4 stars and up.

I also noticed the reduced b stock pricing. A welcome change as long as it isn't a sign of low sales and needing to move product. I'll probably be buying another modi 3 in the coming months, as well as a Mani, and maybe another Loki.

Maybe they have some refreshed products being released soon and are getting things out the door for pre closeout pricing. They did that on B stock original Sagas.

Jul 15, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #48,355 of 149,387
On Schiit Discounting. Some good deals on Amazon. With those coupons some items can be had for cheaper then A stock on schiit.com. I wonder how much of this has to do with Prime Days and the fact that the few reviews posted for Schiit products are not great. Most seem to focus on poor customer service rather then the item itself. Perhaps they are trying to get their ratings up. Amazon sellers generally live and die by their star ratings. I generally only shop for items 4 stars and up.
The Jotunheim only has 5-star reviews (albeit not many) and got the highest coupon value of $75. But all items with coupons could use some more reviews, for sure. Though the Fulla 2 has 15, which isn't bad.

I also noticed the reduced b stock pricing. A welcome change as long as it isn't a sign of low sales and needing to move product. I'll probably be buying another modi 3 in the coming months, as well as a Mani, and maybe another Loki.
I'm wondering whether A-stock returns and products with flaws are priced differently. Maybe those $2000 Yggys have some particularly gnarly scars.

Jul 15, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #48,356 of 149,387
Has yggy always been $1999 on the B-stock page or was there a price drop?

Maybe a sign that the unison usb is ready hence the price drop of the yggy b stock?

Only my prediction. Not reliable.

Jul 15, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #48,358 of 149,387
Hey guys,

Some detail behind why B-stock prices have been cut, and why you're seeing some deals on Amazon:

1. B-stock: we need to get rid of as much as possible of this before the big parts for Sol start coming in (starting this week) and our new molded packaging for the smaller products comes in. We need as much space as possible for this new stock, so we've been busy moving everything around to make it fit. We need the B-stock space too, so if you see lower prices on B-stock for a while, grab it if you're interested. There's no guarantee that the prices will remain that low.

2. Amazon: we're doing some pricing tests to take data for upcoming products, and also clearing out the old Sagas. The only product we have on Amazon that has a less than stellar rating is Saga, and that's mainly due to people posting nonspecific (and possibly quite old) customer service complaints. We have contacted both of these people and let them know we're sorry we didn't meet their expectations and that we'd like to know what happened specifically so we can rectify the problem, but we haven't heard from them. So, again, if you see a great price, best to get it now, because this is just part of pricing research we're doing, with the exception of Saga clearance. We're still discussing how best to use Amazon internally, and so you'll probably see a lot of tweaks in our approach as we get data.

Here's the funny thing: before we started reviewing marketing (since we can, now that we're caught up with production--largely at least), we've been one of the lamest companies with respect to marketing in the industry. We haven't sent an email for 2 years, we were doing Google Adwords for products that didn't exist anymore up till very recently, we didn't have 100% working track-to-final-sale analytics in place.

Now we're working on all of these things, as well as actively testing some new approaches. It's gonna be a very interesting next few months!

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 15, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #48,359 of 149,387
Hey guys,

Some detail behind why B-stock prices have been cut, and why you're seeing some deals on Amazon:
--clip--

Now we're working on all of these things, as well as actively testing some new approaches. It's gonna be a very interesting next few months!

All the best,
Jason

At one point, I thought you said the Eitr was on the way out. I have been waiting on some of those populating the b-stock and I notice they are now on back-order.

Any updates on Unison/Gen 5/USB products which would be a replacement for EITR. I really detest using a RasPi endpoint for SPDIF transport (Allo DigiOne) when the EITR would be better matched to my Schiity Stack. I am using a Wyrd now, and have my finger on the trigger when Eitr goes out of favor.

Wyrd really helps with USB power and noise issues, but I ask myself--like the guy on TV with A-fib, "can I do more?" He says Eliquis, I am saying Eitr. ( Side effects may include lost time in headphones, lack of personal hygiene for days on end, and obsession with musical library, consult your audio expert before stopping the use of Eitr...)

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #48,360 of 149,387
At one point, I thought you said the Eitr was on the way out. I have been waiting on some of those populating the b-stock and I notice they are now on back-order.

Any updates on Unison/Gen 5/USB products which would be a replacement for EITR. I really detest using a RasPi endpoint for SPDIF transport (Allo DigiOne) when the EITR would be better matched to my Schiity Stack. I am using a Wyrd now, and have my finger on the trigger when Eitr goes out of favor.

Wyrd really helps with USB power and noise issues, but I ask myself--like the guy on TV with A-fib, "can I do more?" He says Eliquis, I am saying Eitr. ( Side effects may include lost time in headphones, lack of personal hygiene for days on end, and obsession with musical library, consult your audio expert before stopping the use of Eitr...)

Yep, I think we have one more run of Eitr on deck, then it's gone. Eitr and Wyrd are both done when the stocks run out--USB has gotten so much better that there's not much use for these devices anymore. Jil will also be gone when stock is out. We need to concentrate on more interesting products now.

With respect to Unison, it will be released when it is released. Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back