Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 15, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #48,362 of 151,658
Yep, I think we have one more run of Eitr on deck, then it's gone. Eitr and Wyrd are both done when the stocks run out--USB has gotten so much better that there's not much use for these devices anymore. Jil will also be gone when stock is out. We need to concentrate on more interesting products now.

With respect to Unison, it will be released when it is released. Sorry, I can't be more specific than that.
Well, I may be a b-stock loving cheapskate, but thanks for your candor. I will anxiously await their numbers to dwindle until that fateful day when EITR comes home for Dinner, on the Cheap.:grin:

Jul 15, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #48,363 of 151,658
...USB has gotten so much better that there's not much use for these devices anymore.

@Jason Stoddard - Can you elaborate on what systems have "gotten so much better"? E.G. are you talking computer OS (e.g. Win10) or something else? I've thought of getting an Eitr or USB upgrade for my Yggy1, as coax still seems to beat out USB in my environs.

Jul 15, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #48,365 of 151,658
Jason liked the post, so that's promising.

Jul 15, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #48,366 of 151,658
@Jason Stoddard - Can you elaborate on what systems have "gotten so much better"? E.G. are you talking computer OS (e.g. Win10) or something else? I've thought of getting an Eitr or USB upgrade for my Yggy1, as coax still seems to beat out USB in my environs.

USB is much better across the board, on Windows and Mac--and Linux is making both systems less important.

Let me explain:

When we began, Windows didn't support UAC2 at all, many Mac and Windows systems were plagued by draconian power management that effectively shut down USB ports when used with a DAC, and Linux streamers were still in the future. It was so bad that 80% of our inquiries were related to Windows/USB issues at one point.

Now, Windows 10 supports UAC2 natively, both Mac and Windows have gotten a lot better at power management, and Linux-based streamers are largely rendering both OSes obsolete in the audio world. Our inquiries related to USB have dropped to less than 10%, as more and more systems are simply plug and play.

Soon, with the official death of Windows 7 and the introduction of Unison USB™, there will be no real need for USB nervosa--our stuff will plug and play with all supported modern operating systems, and provide extremely high levels of performance. Or at least we think that's how it will go. As always, we'll see!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 15, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #48,367 of 151,658
Jason liked the post, so that's promising.

We'll see what happens. Right now, we're playing around with a lot of ideas. As usual, we'll see if they're good or bad. I just had to write "stupid idea!" on a provisional BOM for an upcoming product because I spec'd in a part that looks like it's a datasheet dream...as in, never produced and non-buyable. Argh.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 15, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #48,368 of 151,658
I've maybe a asked this before. Any chance of seeing a DAC/preamp combo in a Gumby/Freya chassis? Maybe you do a balanced DAC using Bifrost level AD DAC chips, also nexus or something. 64 step attenuator, remote.

Maybe a SE out only DAC/preamp, using 1 or 2 DAC chips per channel.

Jul 15, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #48,369 of 151,658
USB is much better across the board, on Windows and Mac--and Linux is making both systems less important.

Let me explain:

When we began, Windows didn't support UAC2 at all, many Mac and Windows systems were plagued by draconian power management that effectively shut down USB ports when used with a DAC, and Linux streamers were still in the future. It was so bad that 80% of our inquiries were related to Windows/USB issues at one point.

Now, Windows 10 supports UAC2 natively, both Mac and Windows have gotten a lot better at power management, and Linux-based streamers are largely rendering both OSes obsolete in the audio world. Our inquiries related to USB have dropped to less than 10%, as more and more systems are simply plug and play.

Soon, with the official death of Windows 7 and the introduction of Unison USB™, there will be no real need for USB nervosa--our stuff will plug and play with all supported modern operating systems, and provide extremely high levels of performance. Or at least we think that's how it will go. As always, we'll see!

Fair points ... for me one of the key advantages of the EITR product was that it translated to S/PDIF and did it well ... personally, I prefer that to USB.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #48,370 of 151,658
Yep, I think we have one more run of Eitr on deck, then it's gone. Eitr and Wyrd are both done when the stocks run out--USB has gotten so much better that there's not much use for these devices anymore. Jil will also be gone when stock is out. We need to concentrate on more interesting products now.

With respect to Unison, it will be released when it is released. Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

I just tried the USB on my 2018 Mac mini for an hour, and I still prefer the sound being routed through my Eitr. I hear better clarity and fullness through the Eitr versus the USB port.

Jul 15, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #48,371 of 151,658
Can someone enlighten me as to what benefits Nexus could bring to Gumby?

I am planning to get one eventually, but was waiting to see how Unison plays out (although, I'm not even sure that Unison is necessary to wait for).

From what I have read about Nexus, the extra complexity/cost makes perfect sense in Freya S and Rag2 (and even the mystical Loki Max to save part count).

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #48,372 of 151,658
I think nexus is supposed to do a better job of converting a balanced signal to SE.

People who have heard current Gumby balanced out vs current gumby SE out all seem to prefer balanced out. Of course I have no idea how that scores in real life. 100 for balanced out and 95 for SE out? Still pretty good. Or is it 100 vs 75? I haven't read anything to really differentiate how much better balanced is vs SE

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #48,373 of 151,658
Also IIRC, Nexus will convert BAL to SE without the significant reduction in power output when compared to traditional 'summer' circuits. I believe Nexus produces SE power at close to or equal to BAL power output. And Nexus is not just BAL to SE, I believe it also goes SE to BAL.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #48,374 of 151,658
Is Gumby with Nexus just speculation or something that has been talked about elsewhere?

Hoping there is some substance to Gumby with Nexus.
Based on how Jason has described Nexus technology its logical to me to implement in the balanced DACs. its a better way of converting balanced to unbalanced signals. Unisen is their superior usb technology that they are working on. Lastly Analog 2 for Gumby is rumored to already exist.

My hope (I know nothing) is that Schiit will eventually offer an upgrade to Gumby that includes all three technologies. I have resisted sending in my Gumby for the v5 usb because we knew unisen is in the works. All else is speculation on my part.

Jul 15, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #48,375 of 151,658
Ah, I see...so if I were only using BAL out from Gumby, Nexus wouldn't be a reason to wait.

Just pulled the trigger on a used Mj1 today to feed my HD6XX! My Freya+ will inject a little tube gain from a modi3 DS, which should keep me plenty blissful until I can add the gumby eventually (for fully BAL start to finish)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back