1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. ImagesbyMurray
    Wow

Refreshing

I've been happily doing just that for many years , first with (what turns out to be a fairly atrocious) Sumo Theorem and Axiom transport feeding a Diana / Andromeda. I'm impressed and frankly a bit touched you "garfed" an Andromeda II out from storage and took the time to share the picture. That and your most recent post says a lot about you and your company.

Ethical

I spent a princely sum of $99 on your Modi and discovered the most significant upgrade to my system in 20 years. Since that purchase, I've been enjoying the story - but most importantly the passion of Schiit. I'm soon purchasing a Freya along with a multibit DAC, as the Diana's volume control's L/R tracking is awfull, let alone dumping a gallon of contact cleaner once a year through it.....

I was planning on an amplifier purchase, but, you know? I'm good with the Andromeda II for now.... nice to know you are probably good with that as well

Thank you

/john

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  2. Ripper2860
    There @Jason Stoddard goes applying logic and reason to a hobby where logic and reason have no business. :D

3. courierdriver
    Couldn't agree more Jason. As an audio nut for over 30 years, it has always astounded me how many people in this hobby seem to flip through gear faster that they change their clothes. I used to subscribe to many stereo magazines (I wont list them all, but one was Stereophile) and I couldn't believe how some guys were selling their 6 month old gear for half price or less...just so they could fund their latest "new path to audio nirvana". Me, I keep my gear for years and when I DO move up, I spend 6-12 months researching to find what I want...and then at least another 2-3 to get a price I can afford and am willing to pay (even if that means buying used). It does seems sometimes, that many people dont spend enough time tweaking their gear (or finding other components that match well with it) before they slap a for sale sign on it. In many cases, it seems like they couldn't even be bothered to spend enough time with the piece of gear, before they labeled it inferior for their needs and sent it off to the trade-in shelf. Seems like a shame...alot of good gear gets dissed just because it wasn't paired with the right other gear, and was discounted before it got a chance to shine within the context of a synergistic system. Oh well, bargain hunter types like me just end up getting better deals on the used stuff.

ScubaMan2017 and CAPT Deadpool like this.
  4. saddleup

motberg and barondla like this.
  5. mike138
    I upgraded my system once from the magni/modi stack to the modi multibit/valhalla 2. I seriously think my only other purchase will be a Loki unless something in the chain dies.

ScubaMan2017 and dieslemat like this.
  6. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    I loved the last update by Jason. Having spent so much time upgrading and side grading, I found that the low-mid tier stuff was definitely good enough for me. $200-$400 headphones, a Magni/Modi level dac/amp was really all I found necessary.

I have experienced less expensive, and MORE expensive, and for the latter, I never found the cost to justify the inconsequential improvement.

But hey that's just me.

Honestly, the only thing I want from Schiit is a Magni/Modi in ONE chassis. I know, I know, but STILL. Just do this, and I'll die happy.

Don't get me wrong, I do find it fun to try a bunch of headphones, but when it comes to source and amp, I'm of the "get something you feel is good enough" camp, and worry mainly about the actual transducers.

7. Alexnova
    Get the Fulla 2 bro.

I mean sure it's not as good as the Magni 3/Modi 3 stack, but it keeps pretty close to the old Modi2U/Magni2 setup I had a long time ago.

Fulla 2 might be all the amp/dac one needs for under $300

8. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    Not enough headroom in the power department. Not for 'current gear' but because I review headphones, I have a wider spectrum of headphones at random points in time, and feel Magni levels of power covers 99% of what I would review. As far as DACs go, I'd be fine with Modi level. I just want it all in one chassis, lol.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    ScubaMan2017 and Alexnova like this.
  9. wink
    Get the YGGY, and be happier........:ksc75smile:

US Blues likes this.
  10. jimmers
    He managed to last a minute with these ones :ksc75smile:

I am contented with my Bimby-Jot-HD650/Brio R-LS50 :L3000:

sam6550a likes this.
  11. AA8
    Just have to skip the sidegrading and keep three different amps and a collection of headphones to create the combo that best fits your mood. :)

[​IMG]

12. Alexnova
    I agree, if they could do it in one chassis, I would buy.

And dude while I'm quoting you KSC75 > KSC35 :wink: Weird how good the soundstage is on the KSC75 while just being just a touch bright and not as muddy as the KSC35.

Anyway uh back to Schiit happens...curious about Aegir impressions. I have a Vidar in my rig and I absolutely love it. Fantastic bass.

13. Redcarmoose
    https://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~wright/ContemporaryAmericanSociety/Chapter 7 -- consumerism -- Norton August.pdf

An amazing paper on consumerism, which not necessarily pertaining to audiophiles; is centered on the USA in comparison to the world. Reading it you can’t help but notice the underlying psychological concepts involved with simply buying for the sake of buying.

It turns out a new audio purchase creates a whole stream of endorphins causing a grand feeling of well-being. After which the cycle can start again and again as funds permit. Poor neighborhoods and countries have less consumerism and rely on family and social community interaction to parallel the endorphins of big purchases.

Ever live in a rich gated community? No one knows anyone except the total extroverts in town.

With the underlying proof that many aspects of our hobby are getting better and better, there is no better time than “now” to chase audio quality. It is true that gear is better than ever. Still I always wonder how much of a gear-head I really am? And........do I really need this stuff?

But in the USA consumerism is created. If you live in Orange County California driving a beat-up old car can actually make you look like a bad person; not a poor person; but an actual bad individual. Where have we wondered to?

rollinbr, ModiHiFi, gljus and 2 others like this.
  14. wink
    I remember hearing these once and they were worse than Tyll portrays them to be.

15. Derrick Swart
    To take your time is a bit sadistic but also FUN! I remember when upgrading from my all in one Panasonic radio/tape/record system to Rotel I first bought the pre amp and then had to wait a whole year to buy the power amp...not sure i have the same patience nowadays

Leopold Nenning likes this.