1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. QueYo
    I've listened to that car. No plankton.

2. FLTWS
    I've been A/B'ing my HD800 against my Utopia the past few days comparing a number of recordings of Mahler 5 using my Formula S. They are different in sound presentation for sure but my HD800 is not outclassed by my Utopia at all including in the bass (maybe the reach and control of the "S"?). And that new phone smell is long gone from both of these so there's no "new toy" syndrome at play. I bought both new at list price and its easy for me to be objective about the plus's and minus's of each from my perspective. I kept both so I must like both, but for different reasons.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  3. dieslemat
    I’ve heard the Stellia. They are really really good.

4. RCBinTN
    Great comment. My HD800 present a very wide spectrum of music, very enjoyable!
    And especially on classical orchestras. Just amazing.
    If the Utopia can survive (even excel) with Mahler, they are damn fine cans :)

We have two pair of HD800 as me & Annette listen together.
    Ours are quite new, SN around 33,500, their SQ is identical (I switch them out each session, if it's just me listening).
    Sad that Sennheiser stopped making that can. To me, neither the HD800S nor HD820 come close.

If ours fail, we will be forced to look for a "bright" HP such as Utopia. Annette has tinnitus and she benefits from brighter treble.
    May be back in touch with you, at that point ... thank you.

Cheers!
    RCB

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Rensek likes this.
  5. RCBinTN
    Have you heard the Utopia?

6. FLTWS
    My 800 SN is almost to 42000.
    I agree, working back from the transducer seems right. It's easier than getting the best regarded, best measuring equipment up front only to hear that the phones you've auditioned and liked the best don't mesh well with the stuff in front of it. After my initial "baseline" phone was set, I needed to audition a lot of different phones in home to make sure they were what I wanted sound-wise. I'm fairly certain I've gone through 20 different phones after the 800 and found the Utopia and Abyss worked just fine with most of my gear and ears. The others I rejected for one reason or another.

CAPT Deadpool and Ripper2860 like this.
  7. ScubaMan2017
    THEY are going to burn him at the steak, you know. Seriously, this was indeed an excellent & timely post for users like me. Now, about that Valhalla2 as a wingman for my Frankensteined-Vali. :ksc75smile:

CAPT Deadpool and Rowethren like this.
  8. artur9
    I have to say, I always feel ambivalent when I buy gear. There's the sidegrading, there's the OMG, it costs what, there's the will it do what I'm looking for.

And yet, I'm always looking for the next thing I "need." HST, I think I'm done/reached end-game with my last 2 purchases: new (to me) speakers and the Vidar for my subwoofer. Unless I need another Vidar for my other subwoofer. Then, really, I'm done. For a while, I think. Dammit!

9. caenlenfromOCN
    I mean, I agree with his latest post, but on the same hand I had a lot of fun trading and buying and trying new stuff last 4 years or so especially. I am glad I don't do nearly as much anymore, but on the same hand it was a fun little hobby for awhile, but I have moved on to other hobbies now mostly... but I will get bored of them, so on and so forth. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it doesn't become an addiction. It almost did with me, but I found it to be easy to leave when I did.

I'm still not totally retired from this hobby, but I am mostly pretty chill about it now.

Leopold Nenning likes this.
  10. ScubaMan2017
    This reminds me of an 7-year-old-episode of InnerFidelity... when our man with the bright shirts tried on his very first 'Beats' headphone. Audiophile humour at its finest?

11. dieslemat
    Yes. But fatiguing for me.

Though looking at the price per value. The Raal sr1a is worth every dollar

https://raalrequisite.com/sr1a-earfield-monitors/

Although you need a vidar or a 100W speaker amp to drive it.

I melted listening to the Raals.

12. Lurker0918
    I thought the latest chapter was an April Fools Day joke, but sadly realized it is not April 1st anymore and instead is depressing commentary of society today. The wait begins for the chapter where we're told not to stick metal forks into electric sockets or not to climb into the lion den at your local zoo for a selfie.

ScubaMan2017, Juan_R and Rensek like this.
  13. winders
    Give it a rest....if you don't like what Jason has to say about life and buying audio gear, just move on.

14. johnjen
    My 2¢ on…
    "But you may hear differently.
    You may have different sonic preferences.
    In fact, you almost certainly do."

It has been my experience that our sonic desires and proclivities WILL CHANGE thru time, as we gain more and more experience while listening to our system, AND OTHERS.

I call this getting Calibrated, which by definition will change as our own personal high water mark of SQ gets further refined, as do our 'standards' of our own preferences.
    This in turn also helps us refine what we do hear as being 'better', or not.

IOW we learn what is possible to achieve from an audio system, as we get exposed to and learn what is not just possible, but also what is desirable as well.

And developing and refining our ability to determine what actually IS better for us, helps us know what to listen for as we are now aware of those audible cues, that we now know are desirable.

IOW we learn how to know what to listen for, to help avoid sideways or lateral SQ purchases, that either pass or fail the test of time.
    Because the 'new is better' mindset can take a while to get beyond, and our expanding set of criteria of what to listen for that we have determined is 'better' for us, can help in this regard.

JJ

15. dieslemat
    That’s why the Loki Maxi is a good (not yet announce or in the product pipeline) product.

One day you feel like listening to extra bass heavy stuff, next day more neutral.