Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #45,076 of 150,610
It's a result of poor reading comprehension.
You think so?
I think his question had nothing to do with his current use of balanced cables as interlinks.
Time for you to learn how to read and comprehend?
However.. you underscore my observation remarkably well.
Me being a doctor is really besides any point.

Edit: Nobody here is stupid enough to follow me blindly, I hope.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #45,077 of 150,610
It's a result of poor reading comprehension. @scclimber did ask for an advice. Read below.
I am surprised many people blindly followed your message without actually reading @scclimber's post.
They simply trust doctors :)
I didn't really care what the OP might have said, I just agreed with the good doctor's observation. It *IS* a disease that infests audio forums: it's the "I must be right" disease.

And also please note: I did not say that I was immune to this disease, although I do strive to walk away from discussions before I develop the dreaded "panties in a twist" side effect. :)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #45,078 of 150,610
What I can’t understand is if the transformer hum is this common (I have it in my Vidar as well, in a silent room, I can hear it from listening chair when no music is playing); then why isn’t it being caught in quality control? Maybe they let the amps out when the hum is below a certain level? Maybe they don’t think it’s an issue worth fixing? I’d love a silent amp, and may call for warranty service soon, but don’t want to be without the amp for a few weeks while they fix it. If they would mail me a new one without the hum, and I could mail back the other one when it gets here, I would do that.
AC power quality at the Schiit quality control station might be better than at end-user locations. See this.

My Hegel H360 (way more expensive than Vidar) has a slight transformer hum. Can't hear the hum from my listening location, but I can within a couple of feet. I have a Furman 15i power conditioner, but that does not block DC. The problem was not enough for me to do something more drastic/expensive to the AC power source, but I just ordered one of those Emotiva CMX-2 gadgets to see if it removes the hum. Always experimenting...

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #45,079 of 150,610
This seems to be a good place to ask general Schiit questions, so....

I’m currently using streaming services for my digital content, but considering adding CD back. What CD transport do y’all recommend with Yggdrasil? I’ve been looking at the Cambridge CXC as a potential option. Or possibly waiting for rumored Schiit transport depending on impressions?

Thoughts??

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #45,080 of 150,610

I’m currently using streaming services for my digital content, but considering adding CD back. What CD transport do y’all recommend with Yggdrasil? I’ve been looking at the Cambridge CXC as a potential option. Or possibly waiting for rumored Schiit transport depending on impressions?

Thoughts??
I’m waiting on Schiit for both Sol and the CD Transport. Was ready to upgrade my turntable when I read about Sol coming soon, so spend the turntable upgrade money on Bimby, Saga and Vidar instead while I wait.

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #45,081 of 150,610
AC power quality at the Schiit quality control station might be better than at end-user locations. See this.

My Hegel H360 (way more expensive than Vidar) has a slight transformer hum. Can't hear the hum from my listening location, but I can within a couple of feet. I have a Furman 15i power conditioner, but that does not block DC. The problem is not enough for me to do something more drastic/expensive to the AC power source, at least not for now. But it is there.
It’s not obnoxious transformer hum, or I’d have sent it back right away. Still bothers me a little.

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #45,082 of 150,610
It’s not obnoxious transformer hum, or I’d have sent it back right away. Still bothers me a little.
I't rather live with this-only-from-2-feet-away hum than live without my very nice speaker amp for months, not to mention the hassle of repacking that very heavy amp, taking it to the dealer 40 miles away, ... The only reason for me to ever replace that amp (unless it fails) would be to dive into room correction, which would be a whole 'nother rabbit hole.

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #45,083 of 150,610
I't rather live with this-only-from-2-feet-away hum than live without my very nice speaker amp for months, not to mention the hassle of repacking that very heavy amp, taking it to the dealer 40 miles away, ... The only reason for me to ever replace that amp (unless it fails) would be to dive into room correction, which would be a whole 'nother rabbit hole.
I think I’m in the same boat. Just wish the design wasn’t prone to transformer hum.

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #45,084 of 150,610

My Hegel H360 (way more expensive than Vidar) has a slight transformer hum. Can't hear the hum from my listening location, but I can within a couple of feet. I have a Furman 15i power conditioner, but that does not block DC. The problem was not enough for me to do something more drastic/expensive to the AC power source, but I just ordered one of those Emotiva CMX-2 gadgets to see if it removes the hum. Always experimenting...
I don't think the transformer hum can be fixed by any conditioners. If it gets 60 or 50 Hz current it will hum at that frequency and stop when the current is off, i.e., when the equipment is off. It needs to be mounted better or reassembled. Here is a good short read from a transformer company about it: https://www.mgmtransformer.com/faqs/why-do-transformers-hum/
I believe toroidal transformers are used to eliminate this effect (maybe among others).

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #45,085 of 150,610
You think so?
I think his question had nothing to do with his current use of balanced cables as interlinks.
Time for you to learn how to read and comprehend?
However.. you underscore my observation remarkably well.
Me being a doctor is really besides any point.

Edit: Nobody here is stupid enough to follow me blindly, I hope.
I don't know. When I read @scclimber's post over and over again I feel like he currently uses RCA single ended cables and can run balanced in the future if they will be better.

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #45,086 of 150,610
You can't beat the some of the closeout prices on the performance grade RCA cables at CFL.

https://www.cablesforless.com/other...ables/spdif-cables-for-digital-coaxial-audio/

https://www.cablesforless.com/other-cables/audio-video-cables/rca-composite-cables/rca-cables/

I ordered a bunch of the SPDIF cables for analog and digital use just yesterday.

I'd recommend trying some of these to see if they work before you explore more expensive cable options.
The spliced RCA cables I kludged together back in December are failing. Yep, cablesforelss dot com. I'll check it out.

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #45,087 of 150,610
Mar 23, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #45,088 of 150,610
Mar 23, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #45,089 of 150,610

Thoughts??
This is a thorny question, @Zer0.p0int.Zer0 . I'm trying to hold on until whatever Schiit's creation's released. If you're using THE Yggy, then I suspect you don't wanna go cheap. The CXC seems to do few things -- and do them very, very well (read audio-CDs [no SCAD, DVD, Blueray] and spit out digital signal via TOSlink & SPIDIF). If my sugar-mamma gave me $1K Canadian and told me to go get something nice & shiny, I wouldn't hesitate with that Cambridge offering. :ksc75smile:

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #45,090 of 150,610
What I can’t understand is if the transformer hum is this common (I have it in my Vidar as well, in a silent room, I can hear it from listening chair when no music is playing); then why isn’t it being caught in quality control? Maybe they let the amps out when the hum is below a certain level? Maybe they don’t think it’s an issue worth fixing? I’d love a silent amp, and may call for warranty service soon, but don’t want to be without the amp for a few weeks while they fix it. If they would mail me a new one without the hum, and I could mail back the other one when it gets here, I would do that.

I'm curious how old some of the Vidar are that experience this hum, I have 3 all from shortly after they were released and none of them have hum...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back