Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 24, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #45,106 of 150,704
Sorry for the confusion. My current set up uses rca but with a new set of stands, I’m curious if balanced would be better if I choose to run both the ac power cable and the signal cable through the stands into my active speakers. I just moved into a new house and none of my cables are long enough for what I want to do so now is the time to change if I’m going to. I don’t mind experimenting if that is the best way. It definitely is the most fun way. I currently do not have a balanced source but have need lusting for a Freya for a while now. Is there any speculation about a new preamp from schiit in 2019 ?
I run balanced cables from Freya to my powered speakers, very happy with it. Like you, I could have gone single-ended too, but considering the lenght of the cable and the fact it would be near a powercable I decided balanced would give better isolation and be cheaper. The cheaper part was true at first but ended when I had some better cables made. Which somehow mattered because it improved things coming from 15 euro xlr cables. Another thing to consider could be that xlr is usually used for long runs of cable. So if you have to bridge 10meters of livingroom I would go for balanced anyway.The only real advice I have is that the cheapest xlr-cables are not the ones you want to put in your walls.

You could use Ragnarok 2 as a pre-amp, it is due shortly, or so they say.

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #45,107 of 150,704
This seems to be a good place to ask general Schiit questions, so....

I’m currently using streaming services for my digital content, but considering adding CD back. What CD transport do y’all recommend with Yggdrasil? I’ve been looking at the Cambridge CXC as a potential option. Or possibly waiting for rumored Schiit transport depending on impressions?

Thoughts??

Most current production CD players/transports under $1k leave a little to be desired. The CXC for example has poor mass loading. I would look for a cheap, used player from one of the major (or former major) players in that space. Arcam, Denon, Sony, etc. I'm using an Arcam CD73 which I bought for $330 used which is an excellent example of a good used player you could find. Arcams are pretty common on eBay, though do your research on particular models, not all are created equally.

If you must buy new, check out the Emotiva ERC3. It's on closeout for $499 right now but you may be able to find used around $300.

Schiit has a transport coming next year.

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #45,108 of 150,704
Most current production CD players/transports under $1k leave a little to be desired. The CXC for example has poor mass loading. I would look for a cheap, used player from one of the major (or former major) players in that space. Arcam, Denon, Sony, etc. I'm using an Arcam CD73 which I bought for $330 used which is an excellent example of a good used player you could find. Arcams are pretty common on eBay, though do your research on particular models, not all are created equally.

If you must buy new, check out the Emotiva ERC3. It's on closeout for $499 right now but you may be able to find used around $300.

Schiit has a transport coming next year.

The ERC-3 uses a DVD transport, which many have reported is very noisy. Its seems to be a crap shoot. Some are good and some are noisy. Be careful if you go this route. I was all set to buy one, but didn't.

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #45,109 of 150,704
The ERC-3 uses a DVD transport, which many have reported is very noisy. Its seems to be a crap shoot. Some are good and some are noisy. Be careful if you go this route. I was all set to buy one, but didn't.

Yeah, may need to add dampening to the drive.

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #45,110 of 150,704

I have an ERC-3 and it is noisy at times. It has both digital outs and a built in analog out section as well with both balanced and SE available. Except for the occasional motor noise a really nice piece and I've had it for over 3 years.

I also have a NuPrime CDT-8 transport, rock solid, dead quiet, AES, coax, optical outs, and built in upscaler (which I don't / can't use with Yggdrasil - every setting but 44.1 sets off the "buy better gear" light). Otherwise it is very quirky in operation; the front panel buttons don't work for most of the features. The remote has no number pad to go direct to a track, no A-B repeat (which I find extremely handy when doing A/B's, no programing, and its buttons generally require require a double push to work, the infrared window or spread of the remote must be too narrow maybe. For $800.00 I expect more and for everything to work and I heard somewhere that the company is difficult to work with if you have a problem.

I'm hoping the Schiit Spinner can do better, even at the same price or higher. If everything works and the feature set improves I'll be happy.

EDIT: NOTE I MADE AN EXTENSIVE CORRECTION TO THIS POST ON THE CDT-8' OPERATION ON 3/26 POST 45164

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #45,111 of 150,704
Humans are funny.

I thought I'd upgrade my work music by replacing my Fulla 2 with a Modi Multibit and Vali 2. It made me realize a couple things:

The Fulla has a fantastic volume pot for a $99 do-it-all gizmo.

At work, I value a nice volume pot as much as higher quality music reproduction.

I was eyeballing the left side of the top of the case wishing the Vali had Fulla's "big ass volume knob". When I caught myself thinking about adding Fulla back in as a pre-amp, I reconsidered the whole plan. I think I'll be better off with the Fulla at work and the stack at home where I can appreciate the improved sound quality. If I'm listening critically enough that I can't enjoy music through the Fulla, I'm probably not paying attention to the work I'm supposed to be doing.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #45,112 of 150,704
This seems to be a good place to ask general Schiit questions, so....

I’m currently using streaming services for my digital content, but considering adding CD back. What CD transport do y’all recommend with Yggdrasil? I’ve been looking at the Cambridge CXC as a potential option. Or possibly waiting for rumored Schiit transport depending on impressions?

Thoughts??

As an owner on an Emotive ERC-3 gen 2 for 3.5 yrs, let me say:
--Mine is mechanically noisy; others claim theirs are dead quiet.
--I bought it because it is extremely error tolerant; mine will play CDs that can't play on any other optical transport that I have seen.
--as always: "You pays your money & you takes your choice". We each have our preferences and differing deal breakers.

Mar 24, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #45,113 of 150,704
If I needed a CD player right now I’d try to find a Sony ES player. If I needed a CD transport right now I’d look for a Cyrus XT. But I don’t so I’ll wait for the Schiit transport.

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #45,114 of 150,704
If I needed a CD player right now I’d try to find a Sony ES player. IfR
If I needed a CD player right now I’d try to find a Sony ES player. If I needed a CD transport right now I’d look for a Cyrus XT. But I don’t so I’ll wait for the Schiit transport.
Buy a TASCAM CD-200. Solid, robust, designed for audio, used in the Schitter, and available for less than $230. What more can you ask for? [Schiit transport TBD].

Mar 24, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #45,117 of 150,704
...Fulla's "big ass volume knob". ...
That knob is awesome.

I use my Fulla for a lot of video conferencing and no two participants ever have the same volume. That knob is a hearing saver!

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #45,118 of 150,704
images

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #45,120 of 150,704
Thanks for the reply.... However, can it still be a ground loop with nothing else connected to the power amp except the power lead and the speakers?

You might try one of those Emotiva DC offset filters CMX-2.

I have a couple of them they work wonderfully.

I thought here is if you have any DC in your AC getting through you're bound to have some issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back