Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 22, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #45,049 of 149,241
Mar 22, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #45,050 of 149,241
I don't agree in some aspects ... some things are pushed to their side.

"In all cases, the balanced interfaces will provide better performance"

I think that's wrong, like with "bits are bits" and all the easy generalizations. One thing is theory and other the implementation.

Balanced have benefits like the cancelation of noise ... when the noise exists and it's listenable. In some contexts and with good rca connectors that benefit can disappear. But ... also have some negative points, like the circuitry to split and join the signal, if it's not a good implementation ... all goes bad.

Only my opinion, but I always split the theory and the real implementation in things. In audio it's difficult to find universal laws

Earlier (somewhere in the first 200 or so pages) Jason went on record as saying he is liked single ended on runs less than 30’ and did not see a justification for the additional cost and complexity of balanced in headphone amps.

The market has, of course, pushed different choices on his company, but...

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #45,052 of 149,241
Random question: Does anyone have suggestions on how to shield rca from power cable going through a channel in a speaker stand ? I am fine with diy or aftermarket cables.

Back story: I have the luxury of setting up a music room in a new house and I would like to keep cables hidden in the stand as much as possible. I currently have active dynaudio stand mount speakers on dynaudio stands with the cable run built in. The speakers will accept balanced cables if I get a preamp with balanced out. I will go this route if it will shield better. I need an excuse to buy a Freya or whatever they come out with next. Worst case scenario, I leave cables outside the stand or worry to death about what might be bleeding over with them in the stand.

Thanks in advance,

Blake
There are shielded ac power cables as well.
Hospitals use them frequently.

JJ
I don't see how this could be relevant.
The original question was shielding the rca signal cables from the power cables.
Using shielded power cables is an effective way of adding additional shielding to the source of ac hum and noise, so the signal wires see less of this to begin with.

JJ

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #45,053 of 149,241
will the Jotunheim output balanced with a single ended input ?
Yes. I used to have a Bifrost Multibit > Jotunheim > balanced headphone cable that worked very well (until I gifted it to my daughter upon replacement by a fancier setup).

Mar 23, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #45,054 of 149,241
Hey everyone, I need some advice. I have a Vidar with some transformer hum. It’s not terribly loud but I can hear it clearly from my listening position about 6 feet away from it, and it does annoy me. I just tried an Ebtech Hum X on it since that’s usually the first recommendation, but to my ears it didn’t make any difference. I’m considering getting an Emotiva CMX-2 since the problem might be DC offset, but I also don’t want to start throwing money around chasing a solution. Does anyone have other suggestions for what I could try, or any idea how I could better diagnose the problem?

I’m also going to email Schiit about it but wanted to see if anyone here had thoughts on this.

Mar 23, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #45,056 of 149,241
Hey everyone, I need some advice. I have a Vidar with some transformer hum. It’s not terribly loud but I can hear it clearly from my listening position about 6 feet away from it, and it does annoy me. I just tried an Ebtech Hum X on it since that’s usually the first recommendation, but to my ears it didn’t make any difference. I’m considering getting an Emotiva CMX-2 since the problem might be DC offset, but I also don’t want to start throwing money around chasing a solution.
The Ebtech Hum X is for ground loop hum, which would be heard from the speakers. Several reviewers on Amazon said the Emotiva CMX-2 eliminated the transformer hum in their amp. Might be worth a try since Emotiva has a 30 day return policy.

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #45,057 of 149,241
Uh huh.
I'm just gonna wait for the Schiit transport. :smile_cat:
Here "tis

Single-Portaloo-on-Trailer.jpg

Mar 23, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #45,059 of 149,241
My main interest in balanced is because of the proximity to ac power cables. Somewhat related, will the Jotunheim output balanced with a single ended input ?

If you use good power cables and good rca interconnects the difference with the balanced option can be 0. Obviously, you need to test.

Many people think that balanced sounds better because usually the balanced connection adds 3dB (usually, because some implementations add attenuators). Everybody must know that something louder tends to sound better to the brain, even with the same sound quality (the old trick of the salesman, pump the volume).

So, in some cases it's only "louder" and not "better". I'm saying this it's true universally? If you think that you don't read my previous posts

Mar 23, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #45,060 of 149,241
I really do not understand why people always try to change the minds of others here.
@scclimber did not ask someone's advise but only stated why he uses balanced cables.
In doing so he inadvertently gets the unsolicited advise about "the other method" shoveled down his throat.
It really is a bizar phenomenon on this forum.
Why not respect others choices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back