Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 13, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #4,264 of 155,171
  I sank probably hundreds of hours into metadata on my iTunes collection

Unless you are completely married to the Apple ecosystem, I would highly recommend not using itunes to organize your music library. Save your metadata to the actual song files themselves with an external tagging program if you have to.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #4,265 of 155,171

I lived in the UK back in the day, and I read the hi-fi (what they called it before someone invented "audiophile") magazines. Some highly respected bespectacled boffin opined (and I believed him, based on personal experimentation) that the highest fidelity musical experience available to the house-bound was live FM.

The BBC used 13 bit 32 kHz (later 14 bit 32 kHz compressed to 10 bits) digital channels to distribute the signals to their transmitter sites, starting in 1972. Enthusiasts who called CD a step backwards from analogue had been listening to digital for years...

The BBC PCM/NICAM Story

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #4,266 of 155,171
  Amazon, ebay, goodwill, etc. for previous years (and current); the sponsoring company's retail outlets (Whole Foods, Starbucks, Peet's...) for the current release.  They're only out there for a few months before they pull them back, too.

Just search on the station call letters.

Is this XRT in Chicago that you are referring to?

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #4,267 of 155,171

This is the part that has me hanging on to my vinyl collection. There are simply too many good recordings that didn't jump the digital divide. In my case I have lots of obscure Canadiana and albums/singles released during the bloom of punk rock that were never commercially successful enough for anyone to bother to re-release. Ironically, low budgets often meant there wasn't money available to over-produce this stuff, and raw off-the-floor recordings made for visceral listening experiences.

That being said I have a lot of crap that I really should sell off. Ironically, that schiit is much more likely to be available on CD... :wink:

Obscure Canadiana:
for example: Anthem has never issued "Breakin' Thru" on CD.
Hence, I better hang on to my vinyl copies!

Anthem has always been all about Rush.   
rolleyes.gif

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #4,268 of 155,171
What I find interesting in the vinyl vs digital discussion is for me right now in 2014 my digital equipment Schiit and others and my planar phones is just approaching even surpassing the sound I used to get from my vinyl set up of the 60s/70s At this point in time the there is really no reason to go back to vinyl for me.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #4,269 of 155,171

Mr. J&J, 

You are in Queens Sir, you are not allowed to abandon vinyl, it is mandatory for you to maintain a vinyl standing in the community. 

You will be shunned I tell you , shunned, disgraced, ridiculed, abandoned, cursed and ridiculed.

However, you may be able to maintain a Public Image of vinyl but lead a secret life as a "other" format person.  This will save face for you.

I would advise you to: Not let Art Dudley know of your emigration from his Church of antiquities, he may lash out with a vindictive assault on your well being.  

We, of the Reformed Church of DDD, will welcome you and more importantly, Keep Your Secret!

Tony in Michigan

ps.  There are a few Vinyl Anonymous groups popping up in your area, best to wear a disguise. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #4,271 of 155,171

I feel the same.  but for some reason, I was about to make a snarky anti-vinyl comment last night, and listened to Opeth's Pale Communion on Blu-ray with my main rig, using the Primes.  I was totally swe[t away by what I was hearing, which over the course of decades equaled or exceeded any digital, analog, speaker, or headphone rig I have ever heard or owned.

Which made me aware that the choice between digital/analog, headphone/speaker, tube or solid state is a false choice.  There is no inherent dichotomy, just a bunch of enthusiasts and audiophiles choosing sides and arguing.

Pointless!  I still think we are in a new golden age of the audio hobby in general.  When I can, I probably will give a modern TT shot.  It won't work for me now, but in 5 years when my retires after 20 years in the Marines, I might give it a shot.

In the meantime, if I may steal a riff from Reddog, "May your rig of choice put a smile on your face from the awesomeness of your great equipment"

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #4,272 of 155,171

JonnyCanuck,

You must, absolutely must, the rituals, the artifacts, the Priests, the deacons, the statues ( Harry Pearson, Edison, etc…) candles to light out of reverence.  A baptismal for new inductee's, readings from old issues of the Absolute Sound, sermons about record care, TT VTA, proper storage of….

Go ahead, work out a proper location for the Spiritual Home and work out a worthy Name & gorgeous logo.  

The time has come for the "True Believers" to unite and become one faith.  

and perhaps a slogan:  "the Dark forces of Digigal will find no place amongst us" !!!  

Tony in Michigan 

ps.  great idea, there again, the good people of Canada set down their Hockey Sticks for a moment and take the lead in a very clever undertaking that we in the States should've already had well-in-hand!!

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #4,275 of 155,171
After growing up in the 60's, college and military in the 70's, and working for record and film companies and radio stations in the 80's I collected a rather large vinyl collection and many thousands of dollars worth of high-end turntable paraphernalia  In 2005-2006 I sold or gave it all away and joined the digital revolution.  Now my rather large music collection lives on a 9Tb hard drive array and I will never go back to the drudgery of vinyl.  Go for it ye hipsters, and may ye find your holy grail.  But me, I've been there done that and I ain't never going back!  This was one wall...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back