Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 12, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #42,288 of 151,650
If you don't like someone's posts, click on their avatar and click the Ignore link. You won't see them again and everybody on the thread will be happier.
I only ask that, if you do use ignore, you always use Reply to respond to something.

I get so many responses to posts where I never see the original post because the original is ignored but the response does not "quote" it.

It's very confusing.

P.S. Actually, everyone should always use reply. This has nothing to do with ignores.

Dec 12, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #42,289 of 151,650
We are subbing the Modi3 in the big system whilst the Freya is no doubt inspiring laughter in the Schiit factory.

Funny, I was just downstairs in the lab, and Naomi mentioned "hey, this is the Freya from the guy on Head-fi who put the wrong tubes in it." No laughter, just thankful for your honesty. We'll get the Freya taken care of and back to you shortly.

Bottom line, we all screw up.

I read Archimago from time to time, and I don't ignore his views, in fact my Pi-based work music streamer benefitted from his writings. However, as I have said multiple times here and elsewhere, I had the privilege of hanging out for over a decade with some of the most accomplished Bell Labs DSP experts, who (among many other discoveries and inventions) developed the theory and experimental design of perceptual audio coding (PAC). I also have current colleagues with distinguished careers in human sound perception, processing algorithms, and audio recording. It was one of them who led me to Schiit. All of them are/were very aware of the limitations of current experimental/measurement techniques. I remember well when PAC was being refined, and the designers could point out where the technology, which worked so well on both "objective" measurements and human listening, would fail unexpectedly in very dynamic passages, especially with plucked strings. Last but absolutely not the least, I've had my musical, keen hearing wife distinguish between different digital sources in a blind test reliably time and again. Indeed, a big reason I jumped into lossless digital audio over five years ago is when a software bug in our first all-digital speaker system pushed out the same Bill Frisell track in standard Apple AAC and uncompressed FLAC in succession and she called out the difference without knowing what was going on. I know, I know, that's not the same thing that comparing different lossless sources, but really there are differences there -- bits are bits, but not all electrical encodings of bits are equal to electrical circuits that at the electrical level don't know whether they are digital or analog.

One of the biggest eye-openers for me was when I was writing white papers on low-rate codec audio performance (really low rate, think analog cellphone era). They didn't rely on measurements--they used subjective listening panels. Yes, I know, this is pretty far away from measuring -120dB linearity on a 24-bit audio source. This was more about intelligibility, but there were also points awarded for "pleasing" sound.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 12, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #42,290 of 151,650
^^^ Now that's customer service and why I am a Schiit evangelist!!

So, @Jason Stoddard -- when will you reveal what the shielded transformers go into? Is it a new DAC, maybe?? :wink:

Dec 12, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #42,292 of 151,650
Funny, I was just downstairs in the lab, and Naomi mentioned "hey, this is the Freya from the guy on Head-fi who put the wrong tubes in it." No laughter, just thankful for your honesty. We'll get the Freya taken care of and back to you shortly.

You should ALL laugh. I did. Eventually.

Bottom line, we all screw up.

As the Dalek said, climbing off the dustbin.

Dec 12, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #42,293 of 151,650
Graham was certainly honest about the mistake and such information can make troubleshooting easier. At some point we will all have to change tubes in a device if we keep it long enough and his post may keep others from making the same mistake.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #42,295 of 151,650
Graham was certainly honest about the mistake and such information can make troubleshooting easier. At some point we will all have to change tubes in a device and his post may keep others from making the same mistake.

To be honest, it never entered my head to do other than I did. I was more interested in learning why it happened and how to avoid the problem again! It was only after much detective work and hints from this forum that I realized that - in the initial search on eBay - I had transposed two digits and ordered something incompatible. [BTW, they are still avilable if anyone wants them. Aparently they won't work in a Freya though :-0]

Thanks for the thoughts - this has been a bad day, two of the upgraded Rpi enpoints are refusing to connect to wireless and I can't find the cause. Foortunately, the Berry/SPDIF and Modi3 to the Vaidar is still working. (Did he just tempt fate like that? Really?)

Cheers

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #42,300 of 151,650
To be honest, it never entered my head to do other than I did. I was more interested in learning why it happened and how to avoid the problem again! It was only after much detective work and hints from this forum that I realized that - in the initial search on eBay - I had transposed two digits and ordered something incompatible. [BTW, they are still avilable if anyone wants them. Aparently they won't work in a Freya though :-0]

Thanks for the thoughts - this has been a bad day, two of the upgraded Rpi enpoints are refusing to connect to wireless and I can't find the cause. Foortunately, the Berry/SPDIF and Modi3 to the Vaidar is still working. (Did he just tempt fate like that? Really?)

Cheers
Graham, what are the tube numbers on those tubes you have available? (No I am not going to plug them into the Freya.) I have been experimenting with dual tube adapters and if the tubes are suitable for any of my needs I am glad to help out. It also helps that I have an RCA tube book from the late sixties so there is no doubt on proper substitutions. This morn I saw one published in the early seventies at a local electronics distributor but they were not about to turn loose of that, they are getting harder to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back