Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 4, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #4,081 of 153,729

FULLA !!!   

Well , looks like one hellofa stocking stuffer !

$79 ? , are you kidding ?

What kinda company can make stuff like this ? 

I've been watching DACs and they blindside everyone with this .

Impressive 

Tony in Michigan 

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #4,083 of 153,729
Yep, during the development of Fulla, there were many weeks when I was running around with one of the prototype boards dangling off the end of a balanced HD800, with a balanced-to-TRS dongle adapter, and another 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to plug into the Fulla. The Fulla board was orders of magnitude smaller than the crap used to connect to the HD800.

Everyone who saw it was, like, "Are you crazy, will it drive those headphones?"

In short, yes. It also does amazingly well with many planar headphones--I also had it dangling off the end of Audeze LCD-3s and HiFiMan HE-560s. Yes, stupid mismatch, but don't worry, we ran it with everything from Grado SR60e and Carbo Tenores to the big-pricetag stuff.

Fun fact: we actually made about 40 Fullas and gave them out for staff and friends to play with and stress test. They've been up and running in final form since early summer. 

Is it the ultimate amp? No.

Is it the ultimate DAC? No.

Is it a lot better than the headphone out of your computer? Yes.

And that's the point.

More in a future chapter.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #4,084 of 153,729
Didn't see this in any of the website info, but since the dac in Fulla is the same as in Modi, does that mean it supports the same sample rate spectrum up to 24/96?

Modi Specs - 
Sampling Rates: 
USB: 16/44.1 to 24/96, including 24/88.2

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #4,085 of 153,729
  Didn't see this in any of the website info, but since the dac in Fulla is the same as in Modi, does that mean it supports the same sample rate spectrum up to 24/96?

Modi Specs - 
Sampling Rates: 
USB: 16/44.1 to 24/96, including 24/88.2

Fixed on the site. Same as Modi.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 4, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #4,086 of 153,729

Fixed on the site. Same as Modi.

Looking forward to learning more about how you plan to fit the Fulla into the lineup. What I'm thinking is it may end up cannibalizing the Modi and Magni. Something like what the Magni did to the first Asgard.

However, that will be the perfect excuse for you to release the Modi 2 and Magni 2, and the Vali 2 while you're at it 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #4,087 of 153,729
Very minor, but think there's a word or two missing here:

Wait, wait, wait! A $79 dongle DAC? With a VOLUME KNOB? And a custom aluminum and steel chassis? How the hell did you pull this off?
By making about a billion of [them at?] a time, not trying to throw the kitchen sink into the thing, and by not marking it up to hell and gone. And no dealers. If it sold through dealers, it would be about twice the price. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #4,089 of 153,729
Jason,

Are the specs on production Fulla the same as at RMAF?
I'm slightly concerned that mW output remains high for IEMs despite the web statement.

Consider IEM with 102 SPL dB/mW at 18 ohms- needs only 63mW for 120 dB.
But Fulla can crank out 5-6x that mW.

Has the volume knob been tuned more than the RMAF unit so blasting ears past 9am on the dial is less probable?

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #4,090 of 153,729
Now I don't really care, but I think it's beginning to become iffy when you guys advertise the 5 year warranty on the bottom of your homepage. It used to be all of the products (the higher end ones) came with it, but now I'm assuming the majority of what you guys sell comes with a 2 (or 1 in the case of the Fulla) year instead. I just think it might be more clear if you guys changed that. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #4,091 of 153,729
  Very minor, but think there's a word or two missing here:

Wait, wait, wait! A $79 dongle DAC? With a VOLUME KNOB? And a custom aluminum and steel chassis? How the hell did you pull this off?
By making about a billion of [them at?] a time, not trying to throw the kitchen sink into the thing, and by not marking it up to hell and gone. And no dealers. If it sold through dealers, it would be about twice the price. 

Yaknow, some of the FAQ pages over thar at schiit.com are hilarious, and I think the one for Fulla sets a new standard for laugh factor! Why aren't other companies allowed to have fun like these guys?

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #4,092 of 153,729

Yaknow, some of the FAQ pages over thar at schiit.com are hilarious, and I think the one for Fulla sets a new standard for laugh factor! Why aren't other companies allowed to have fun like these guys?

Just my opinion, but not everyone likes fun.  Other companies are trying to please everyone.  Schiit is trying to please those who find use from their products.  And those who enjoy a bit of fun along the way.

OK, I'm pretty sure I just demonstrated my firm grasp on the obvious….

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #4,093 of 153,729

O'Canada , 

These guys "intentionally" don't have a Board of Directors looking over their shoulders ,
2). they've been down this road over the last three decades ,
3). Owning Schiit is supposed to be Fun ,
4). they're in California where people make their own rules ( nearly anything goes ) ,
5). they have little to loose cause they started with nothing and they still don't have much save a successful start based on Internet rules of engagement and
6). no Dealer Network to coddle and protect ,
7). the Press loves em despite the Company having very little Ad Budget .
 As a person with Fiduciary Responsibilities in Four Companies , I would urge you not to try this Schiit flippancy in any other Company ( if you value peace of mind ) , I'll wager that Sir Jason & Professor Mike don't let their employees say this crazy stuff in public , it's ok for them , they're the Owners and will take the Hit if some statement gets them a Black Eye , plus they have vast experience in the silliness of Consumer Audio .
 I'll bet the silliness will end the moment the Schitt hits the Fan .  For now , enjoy all this fun .
and
8). Consumer Audio is filled to overflowing with scripted bull-**** nonsense and sales sizzle , these guys making funny is a great way to highlight ALL that we as consumers have had to deal with over these last years , God bless em .  I "feel" we realize this !!

You Canadians are Polite , probably too polite to even consider a Schiit Concept in any part of Life ( of course you are the Seed Capitol of the Happy Smoke World ) but I never hear anyone making lite of it .  

Tony in Michigan

ps.  Please keep all that Snow to yourself , I'm getting tired of shoveling the stuff .  Just a thought  

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #4,094 of 153,729
"What the hell is a Fulla?
A very funny name. Hey, be thankful, we could have called it the Dingleberry."

HAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha  
beyersmile.png

This just HAS to be first in advertising and marketing.

I figure they're going for one of those advertising and marketing industry awards.
As in, a little crossover never hurt anybody…  
atsmile.gif

Genius, I say GENIUS!

JJ

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #4,095 of 153,729

Ordered mine just now, so I expect to be "Fulla Schiit" in a couple days as I am just up in the Bay Area. Looking forward to using this with my new Senn Momentums! 

Think I will put Wyrd in front of it as an experiment just to see what happens. Sure improved my already fab Gungnir. 

Love the fact that Jason, Mike and the gang don't take themselves too seriously about the unimportant stuff, and take themselves very seriously about the important stuff (like providing incredible value for customers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back