Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #4,096 of 153,745
  "What the hell is a Fulla?
A very funny name. Hey, be thankful, we could have called it the Dingleberry."

HAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha  
beyersmile.png

This just HAS to be first in advertising and marketing.

I figure they're going for one of those advertising and marketing industry awards.
As in, a little crossover never hurt anybody…  
atsmile.gif

Genius, I say GENIUS!

JJ

Early prototypes were actually called "Dingleberry," and "Dingle Dongle, it's a DAC" was screened on the first prototype PCBs. I'll take some photos for the upcoming story.

We actually had a fairly big internal, ahem, "discussion" about what to call it. Rina wanted to call it the Dingleberry, full stop. Mike loved the name, too. It was me, the boring/safe marketing wonk, who said, "You know, I think this might be going a little too far..." 

But I'm getting too far into the story. More to come.

And, as far as the humor goes, it's a great filter. People who take themselves too seriously (and who are therefore tedious/time-consuming/insufferable) typically don't buy our stuff. This  further reduces our needs for psychoanalysts and support scripts that start with "We really value your business, you are the most important person in the world, we love you and will do anything for you, including hand-polish your boots and pick up your laundry," and end with "your estimated hold time is 70 minutes."

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #4,097 of 153,745

Just my opinion, but not everyone likes fun.  Other companies are trying to please everyone.  Schiit is trying to please those who find use from their products.  And those who enjoy a bit of fun along the way.

OK, I'm pretty sure I just demonstrated my firm grasp on the obvious….

Good comment. If I may, I'd like to posit the hypothesis that Schiit is trying to please those who find VALUE from their products.

A simple principle that often appears completely unknown to most audio companies. 

"Value? What's that?" 

May as well be talking rocket science to them.

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #4,098 of 153,745

Good comment. If I may, I'd like to posit the hypothesis that Schiit is trying to please those who find VALUE from their products.

A simple principle that often appears completely unknown to most audio companies. 

"Value? What's that?" 

May as well be talking rocket science to them.

I feel compelled to post this, from post #2:

4. Be memorable—this isn’t about getting everyone to like you, this is about getting some people to love you.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 5, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #4,099 of 153,745

4. Be memorable—this isn’t about getting everyone to like you, this is about getting some people to love you.

Yes, I remember this particular key principle from Schiit because I was just mentioning exactly this statement this to a team I have been leading this week in a "Voice of the Customer" project for a new product (we in our last stage, concept generation). 

I also mentioned a camera company whose products I also really love (Fujifilm and their wondrous X-series of mirrorless digitals) that are also publicly on record with the very same principle: "We don't want to make cameras every photographer will like, we want to make cameras some photographers will LOVE."

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #4,100 of 153,745
This discussion prompts me to add a few more points for consideration. 

One pitfalls I've noticed in working for and observing tech-based companies for a very long time is a trap many of them fall into, and this includes high-end audio companies.

This trap is called: FALLING IN LOVE WITH YOUR OWN TECHNOLOGY. 

"Gee, wouldn't you like to buy our new Arblegarble analyzer 'cause it uses LASERS! And...lasers are cool!"

What many of these companies fail to understand is: most customers don't care. They just want to do an experiment, perform an analysis, or listen to a recording 

What most customers really want is a product that truly meets their needs from a company that truly puts customer first, and provides a compelling value proposition. 

The  bottom line for a majority of customers (the ones who actually drive profit for a company) is that it doesn't matter if the product has four lasers, is 'quantum-tunneled" or cryogenically-treated. 

If the product doesn't provide a compelling value proposition, they simply won't buy it. 

It's amazing how many technology-based companies, audio companies, etc., don't understand this simple fact. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #4,101 of 153,745
  snip

And, as far as the humor goes, it's a great filter. People who take themselves too seriously (and who are therefore tedious/time-consuming/insufferable) typically don't buy our stuff. This  further reduces our needs for psychoanalysts and support scripts that start with "We really value your business, you are the most important person in the world, we love you and will do anything for you, including hand-polish your boots and pick up your laundry," and end with "your estimated hold time is 70 minutes."

This reminds me of one of my earlier phone answering machine messages where I tell a really good joke with a wonderful build up and just before the punchline
BEEEEP

Please leave a message…

And there, of course, were other 'catchy' messages with a similar 'catch' at the end.

Great fun.

JJ

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #4,102 of 153,745
  This reminds me of one of my earlier phone answering machine messages where I tell a really good joke with a wonderful build up and just before the punchline
BEEEEP

Please leave a message…

And there, of course, were other 'catchy' messages with a similar 'catch' at the end.

Great fun.

JJ

I like that. I had a recording on mine that was Arnold in The Terminator saying "I'll be back!", then BEEP. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #4,103 of 153,745
We actually had a fairly big internal, ahem, "discussion" about what to call it. Rina wanted to call it the Dingleberry, full stop. Mike loved the name, too. It was me, the boring/safe marketing wonk, who said, "You know, I think this might be going a little too far..." 

Could have gone with Kúlur...

(maybe next time you develop something small with a matching power supply...)

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #4,104 of 153,745
Or my fav spelling…

Kewl…

EDIT:  Ya know, dongleberry just might slip under the wire…  
atsmile.gif

JJ  
dt880smile.png

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #4,105 of 153,745
  Sorry about the continuing delay on Valhalla 2.  We are in a perfect storm of delay with that product. 

Thank you for the in-depth reply, Alex, I appreciate it very much. It's an unfortunate, but understandable situation.

Looking forward to enjoying my Valhalla 2, whenever that might be.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #4,106 of 153,745
  Think I will put Wyrd in front of it as an experiment just to see what happens. 

Wondering about that myself since I have a Fulla "on request" as a stocking stuffer from my better half. Thinking the Wyrd would be good from a power standpoint since the Fulla has to get all its juice for headphone amplification off the USB supply.

Or am I just Fulla Wyrd Schiit.

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #4,108 of 153,745

Early prototypes were actually called "Dingleberry," and "Dingle Dongle, it's a DAC" was screened on the first prototype PCBs. I'll take some photos for the upcoming story.

But I'm getting too far into the story. More to come.

LOL!

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #4,109 of 153,745

I saw that in the story, and I agree.

I get tired of the saying that the customer is always right. Either that company soon goes out of business, or it's just another platitude to make themselves feel better.

A soft correlation that I've found with successful companies is that they put their employees first. Then, the employees take better care of the customers, and it feeds on itself.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #4,110 of 153,745
Through-hole is still far friendlier for hobbiests though.

-I beg to differ - every time I've etched a board for a SMD project, I sigh relieved and content that I do not have to drill lotsa holes before I can start assembly. And don't even get me started on him much easier it is to get a QFN (say) chip in place, rather than a DIP version of the same chip - provided, of course, that you can find one in the first place.

Added bonus for the chromatically challenged among us - SMD passive components have their numerical values printed on them, rather than those pesky color bands.

Obviously, YMMV - but this hobbyist goes SMD whenever he can. (0805 and the occasional 1206 part - I've hand-soldered 0603 (doable, but hardly my idea of fun) and 0402 (undoable in a sober state) in the past - but for my hobby purposes, 0805 will do nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back