Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 23, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #40,786 of 150,788
As long as the manufacturer didn't desecrate the warm orange-red glow of the tubes with blue LEDs lighting them from underneath.

Bronco fans eat that stuff up.

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #40,791 of 150,788
I agree. The other thread is just folks posting cover art, which is cool but requires a lot of space. I would be happy with recommendations like:

Beck, "Morning Phase"
if I want to see cover art, it is google search away. I would hate to see album covers edging out cute kitty cats...and my Dog, Thomas
I hate blue LEDs! Yes, natural tube lighting is the way to go. I remember my dad showing me the insides of our B&W TV with it powered on and the lights all off at night. That was a beautiful site. I remember going to the local Alpha Beta grocery store and checking tubes on the tube test by the entrance. New tubes were just sitting there in boxes. Too bad many of you don't have memories like that!

P.S. Forever is a long time....

In 1963 (when I was 6) I used to collect tubes from my mother - whole room IBM computer for astrophysics, and my father worked at National Magnet Lab and at Lincoln Labs, and at home: Stromberg TV and big Grundig desktop radio - then haul them in to the hardware store to test them, and write notes on each, and maybe get to buy 1 or 2 new ones and test them to be sure we got the best ones. I hadn't thought of that in decades. Thanks.

As to cooking marshmellows - I notice over my Rag, they melt but stay defined, over at my friends the anode capped 807's produce a relaxing but mushy blob that whispers 'THD'....

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #40,792 of 150,788
Ty twice, sir! And in the see one, play one category, see if you can find anything from the Essbjörn Svensson Trio (EST).

Found on Tidal. Very nice!! 'Seven Days of Falling' is awesome!! Reminds me a bit of the Brit Jazz group 'GoGo Penguin'. :thumbsup:

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #40,793 of 150,788
JPEG image.jpeg
You are right! My house is 85 degrees F (29C. Guess I like the heat :wink:) Currently the naked Gumby is 41C according to my meter. Would you say it is OK or should I put back the fan?

OK, so after leaving the Gumby for awhile without a fan it went over 45C (~115F) !!!
@Jason Stoddard Please let me know the Gumby can take it..

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #40,794 of 150,788
So my b stock box o schiit arrived around 12:30 today. Sadly it took until almost midnight to get it unboxed, hooked up, and turned on.

Sounds good, but man that transformer in Vidar sure does hum. Or is loud, not sure if the two are the same. I should clarify, I can hear transformer with nothing else on in the room, and hear it with the sounds of traffic or flying geese coming through the walls. As Soon as i start playing music the transformer sound disappears, even with saga at 0 volume. I wont be using it as just a heater anyway.

Also my speakers hum too, fairly loudly. I did a search on Google and found a link about identifying and eliminating hum (from ps audio). They even have an audio clip identifying two common types of hum. Ground loop at 120hz and hum caused by equipment interference at 60hz.

Sounds like I have equipment interference hum through my speakers, which makes sense since it's all stacked together on my workbench, with a rats nest of cables behind it.

IMG_20181024_003408.jpg

So I'll live with it until I move into my living room, buy better interconnects, and get the rig separated. I'm not going to worry about it right now.

I noticed the speakers pop a bit after the startup sequence has finished, and after Vidar has been powered down. Is that caused by the hum? Should I be worried about it?

SQ wise I'm very happy, a half hour in. Have definitely heard some things I've not caught before. Started with Hotel California, (I'm my fathers son), and had a smile on my face after about two minutes (only two beers in). Soundstage, imaging, bass, treble, mids all great. Glad I kept my speakers to see what a good system could do with them. Noticibly better then my old jvc. Vidar is heavy, which I like, fins are sharp, them binding posts are awesome.

Two things i was surprised about, both regarding Saga. Volume all the way down and I can still hear music. I also got an old style remote #bstocklife. For whatever reason I assumed I was going to get a new style remote (I have no idea when the new remotes were introduced).

Jason mentioned earlier today that Asgard 2 is very very reliable. I'd be interested in hearing a chapter about QC, warranty claim rate vs actual failure rate, third parties raising cane about SQ & build quality, (whether illegitimate or not), perception vs reality, etc. I'm sure he's got multiple chapters of material on those fronts. Trials and tribulations.

All in all a good hour with schiit. Sad I need to be up in 6 hours, otherwise I'd stay up and enjoy this schiit more.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #40,795 of 150,788
Oct 24, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #40,796 of 150,788
Hi Guys Just one question,

Theres no B stock in European schiit dealers?

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #40,797 of 150,788
In 1963 (when I was 6) I used to collect tubes from my mother - whole room IBM computer for astrophysics, and my father worked at National Magnet Lab and at Lincoln Labs, and at home: Stromberg TV and big Grundig desktop radio - then haul them in to the hardware store to test them, and write notes on each, and maybe get to buy 1 or 2 new ones and test them to be sure we got the best ones. I hadn't thought of that in decades. Thanks.

As to cooking marshmellows - I notice over my Rag, they melt but stay defined, over at my friends the anode capped 807's produce a relaxing but mushy blob that whispers 'THD'....

My Rag is one hot box of metal after a few hours listening, even sitting near air conditioning vents during warm weather. But fall is upon us now, it's all good.

Oct 24, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #40,798 of 150,788

OK, so after leaving the Gumby for awhile without a fan it went over 45C (~115F) !!!
@Jason Stoddard Please let me know the Gumby can take it..

Maishar that should not be a problem at all. Having built a few DIY projects I can say that most components are rated for 85c or more. Hell I’ve been in multiple places where the ambient temperatures are hotter than 115f. I would not worry. Meshi/mafi mushkila. Alakum to our forum.

Oct 24, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #40,799 of 150,788
Fortunately, I'll never be one.

Let's not get into this.
My Rag is one hot box of metal after a few hours listening, even sitting near air conditioning vents during warm weather. But fall is upon us now, it's all good.

I had 3 amps that ran hotter - all Class A, one tube, two transistor. It really isn't that bad unless you are used to stone cold non Class A amps with mega heat sinks. Even sliding bias A (Threshold) didn't idle hot. Just enjoy, makes a great foot warmer (use thick wool!)

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #40,800 of 150,788

Users who are viewing this thread

Back