Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 1, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #39,061 of 149,939
8B55B516-164D-4C67-BD56-BCA50F776F70.jpeg
Hey all,

If you're going to RMAF, we have a surprise in store.

Not quite yet a product intro, but a preview of some very hot Schiit. Well, fairly hot Schiit. Because we're Continuing down a path we started earlier this year, and that path veers away from A nother path.

Said product preview will be in the speaker room. Yes, there will be (preliminary) specs and (preliminary) pricing. No, the pricing will not have 4 figures. No, it probably won't be shipping this year. But if we're lucky, it should be first up next year!

I'll be at the show Friday and Saturday all day, and Sunday in the morning. I hope to see you there!

All the best,
Jason

You mean like a constant-mu class A/B amp?

^^^I believe we have a winner ...

If it's a surprise, it's not likely something Jason has talked about extensively. I expect Sol to be there, possibly a Continuity amp, and so on, but I think what Jason is referring to will be different completely.

Like speakers. Or a complete prototype CD transport. Or an electrostatic amp. Something that Jason said, we aren't doing that in the past.

Please, convention-visitors. Report back to the class what you discover!

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #39,062 of 149,939
Right now my recommendations are coming from an astrophysicist as well as a gentleman who has right at 50 years experience. I am getting a larger scope but it will be quite portable and I have a fairly light camera with Leica optics that should work well for my purposes. Beer is not exactly on topic so never feel bad about drifting off yourself. :smile_phones:

Sounds like you have formulated an astronomical gear acquisition 'game plan' with the benefit of solid advice.

BTW: I actually used an 8" F/7 Newtonian on a Dobson mount for years as my primary telescope. It was simple, but the mirrors tested very good. I used the elegant little Telrad finder, and added a velvet-smooth JMI 1.250" reverse-Crayford focuser.

Most of my viewing was done from dark AZ desert locations. I was purely doing visual observation, no imaging. Some of the views I could get of the planets, moon, and star clusters just sent shivers down my spine.

Fortunately, at the time I owned a 1970 VW bus with a custom (DIY) camper package, and so hauling the 8" beast was fairy easy. I really miss that 1970 VW bus. It was idiotic to sell it --now worth at least 5 times what I let it go for in 2001 :frowning2:

I could tell many stories of magic nights out there in the desert...

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #39,063 of 149,939
Sounds like you have formulated your game plan with solid advice.

BTW: I actually used an 8" F-7 Newtonian on a dobson mount for years as my primary telescope. It was simple, but the mirrors tested very good. I used the elegant little Telrad finder, and added a velvety smooth JMI 1.125" reverse-crayford focuser. Most of my viewing was done from a dark AZ desert locations. I was purely doing visual observation, no imaging. Some of the views I could get of the planets, moon, and star clusters just sent shivers down my spine.

Fortunately, at the time I owned a 1970 VW bus with a custom (DIY) camper package, and so hauling the 8" beast was fairy easy. I really miss that 1970 VW bus. It was idiotic to sell it --now worth at least 5 times what I let it go for in 2001 :frowning2:

The north Bruce Peninsula is a dark sky preserve (best viewing February-March [-20C, yep, yep yep]). My favourite memory was a comment my wife mused at about 1-2 am. Tsk, why is it so cloudy. My (perfectly-timed) response.... those aren’t clouds... those are stars. Humbling Schiit, eh.:ksc75smile:

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #39,064 of 149,939
Sounds like you have formulated an astronomical gear acquisition 'game plan' with the benefit of solid advice.

BTW: I actually used an 8" F-7 Newtonian on a Dobson mount for years as my primary telescope. It was simple, but the mirrors tested very good. I used the elegant little Telrad finder, and added a velvet-smooth JMI 1.250" reverse-Crayford focuser.

Most of my viewing was done from dark AZ desert locations. I was purely doing visual observation, no imaging. Some of the views I could get of the planets, moon, and star clusters just sent shivers down my spine.

This is just my way of keeping things simple with the use of modern technology. At night at my firepit I have a decent view of the sky with very little bounce back. Simple things, fire, food, drink, music (simple the way I do it), and the stars and planets. It makes perfect sense to me to take advantage and make each of those experiences as good as possible. My wife also has a keen interest so it is a great hobby for both of us. We have a friend who is very much into photography who would love to join in. It may not make sense to everyone, but it makes perfect sense to me. :smile_phones:

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #39,065 of 149,939
The north Bruce Peninsula is a dark sky preserve (best viewing February-March [-20C, yep, yep yep]). My favourite memory was a comment my wife mused at about 1-2 am. Tsk, why is it so cloudy. My (perfectly-timed) response.... those aren’t clouds... those are stars. Humbling Schiit, eh.:ksc75smile:

Yeah, it's sometimes amazing to me how many people (including adults) have never seen the Milky Way. Such a pity.

I've been active in trying to raise awareness of urban and suburban light pollution for years, with scarce results. Luckily, I have a place near (essentially in) one of the Mark Twain National Forests that is twenty miles away from the nearest town (and the town is a small one, at that).

At least Hawaii has mandated the use of monochromatic street lights, so it's reasonably easy to notch out their light with a filter.

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #39,066 of 149,939
My Dad owned a resort on Mille Lacs lake when we were young.
We would go out on the ice on a new moon night about a mile, you could not see your hand in front of your face!

The Stars:astonished:

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #39,068 of 149,939

I miss the days where I had that kind of night vision.

Getting old and all that.

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #39,069 of 149,939
Pretty sure he says Fulla and not Thor...

You are right, it's Fulla.

I do like the speculation though, so this is kinda what it's like to be an Apple fanboy.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #39,071 of 149,939
I was blasting it to my ear to hear with the speaker, several times, I got Fulla on the back machines as well.

IMG_20180929_212857457.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #39,073 of 149,939

BTW: I actually used an 8" F-7 Newtonian on a Dobson mount for years as my primary telescope. It was simple, but the mirrors tested very good. I used the elegant little Telrad finder, and added a velvet-smooth JMI 1.250" reverse-Crayford focuser.

I agree, people should see the Milky Way. Let me help:

Starry-Night-800px.jpg

Bixby Bridge on Highway 1 a few years ago.

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #39,074 of 149,939

Users who are viewing this thread

Back