Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #38,613 of 150,554
...myriad cables.
Props for the proper use of myriad!

I figured you’d use a std usb-out power bank with 20K-ish ma output, but this little battery will reduce form factor as you pointed out. But by bringing in bog-standard USB for power, the game is now afoot for unique and innovative use cases. Cant’t wait to see what this bunch of folks comes up with...

Stayed in an historic hotel in Riverside CA early this week which seriously lacked outlets, so this guy would have been handy, powered by my Anker battery using toslink out from my FiiO player... Also, no wall wart clogging my surge protectors!

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #38,614 of 150,554
Thanks for another great chapter Jason!
A Modi 3.
(I’m saying that to myself in the same voice of Spock musing about a cloaking Klingon Bird Of Prey [Star Trek, The Undiscovered Country]).
Holy Schiit. That was a fascinating article. Thanks, eh.
It makes sense. Collapsing that product line must make manufacturing simpler to wrangle.
I’m glad I forked out the extra cash for the a Modi Multibit.
As I upgrade & re-rip my audio files, PERHAPS I’ll hear the difference... especially in my symphonic & solo acoustic music.
(Modi Multibit) > (Modi 3) < (modi 2 + modi 2 über)
Or maybe not.
Meh.
:ksc75smile:

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #38,615 of 150,554
I hear lots of folks love vali2 and senns. If you want to push your friends into cheap tubes Vali and modi 3 can't go wrong. If you aren't concerned about tubes vs SS the magni is fan freaking tastic. If you can get a deal on Audio-Technica see what their R70x runs for. Supposed to be awesome. Might be my next hp purchase. Super high ohms. Wouldn't have to wait for HD6XX to ship.

My understanding is the fulla 2 is a bit underpowered to get the HD6XX to their full potential (from schiit support themselves back in December 2017)

I can second the Fulla 2 and Senn comment. I have HD600s. The Fulla 2 did not provide enough power in my option (sound came out of the headphones but I do not think they sound anywhere near as good as they do on the Valhalla 2 (which should be no surprise)).

Edit: failed to see it saved a previous draft where I answered a question that was already answered... removed that part.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #38,617 of 150,554
I hear lots of folks love vali2 and senns. If you want to push your friends into cheap tubes Vali and modi 3 can't go wrong. If you aren't concerned about tubes vs SS the magni is fan freaking tastic. If you can get a deal on Audio-Technica see what their R70x runs for. Supposed to be awesome. Might be my next hp purchase. Super high ohms. Wouldn't have to wait for HD6XX to ship.

My understanding is the fulla 2 is a bit underpowered to get the HD6XX to their full potential (from schiit support themselves back in December 2017)

That makes sense and you are right about the long wait.

This morning I gave away a couple Coaster boards, not completed amps, and made a young woman's day. She is always asking me questions about audio and it was nice to treat her to something somewhat audio related.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #38,619 of 150,554
I can catch a deal on the Beyers as well and if one is industrious enough they can buy just the drivers for those and mount them in other headphones like I did here. $110 and a bit of labor.
IMG_1731.JPG headphones.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #38,621 of 150,554
Just having fun, do not really need another one.
May get the Modi 3 instead to make a "3" set with the Magni 3 which I did get from "B Stock".
For some reason I am fond of sets.

Just 2muchstuff and choices. Never a bad thing.

LOL, though for us, today, there's a little less stuff, for a change. One less Modi. BIG sigh of relief. We've needed to simply this line for a long time.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #38,622 of 150,554
I have friends who hear my system and want to get into headphones with a modest priced DAC and amp. I generally recommend the Sennheiser 6XX for $200 since the quality of sound is hard to beat for that price but I would be interested in thoughts on most bang for the buck within the Schiit line. Fulla would be the least expensive but Magni and Modi 3 would certainly be an upgrade at twice the price. Jotunheim with balanced dac for $499 still only brings the total price up to $700 plus shipping. Any thoughts?
Gotta say, I’m still gobsmacked by the HE4xx - kinda grabbed that drop on a lark, but I love the way they sound. WRT the Schiit end, I prefer the Vali 2 over the Jot (don’t kill me here, I just found it too bright), and either V2 or Magni 3 with Modi 3 is an unbeatable value proposition, IMO.

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #38,623 of 150,554
Had you tried the Sennheisers in that mix? I have had friends prefer them over headphones in the $1500 range. With the Modi 3 release, that is certainly a good place to start in the Schiit product line. My cost on the Audio Technica's is pretty low so I may try a pair sometime.

No, because they were for work they had to be closed back headphones...

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #38,624 of 150,554
No, because they were for work they had to be closed back headphones...

Perfectly understandable. The headphones I modified became open so that cut down on my build time. I also turned them into dual entry headphones, a lot of the Beyers are single entry. The headphones I modified originally sold for around $250 but sold off at $50 each, California Headphone Company Silverados, built like a tank and originally low impedance, closed. They are one of the few headphones I know of where changing out the headphone cable made a world of difference, I have to be careful making such claims and most of the major brands start with quality cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back