Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 21, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #38,626 of 150,600
I almost purchased another Modi MB off "B Stock" the other day. Decided I needed a Loki instead. Now, if this has a MB version :)
Damn, a Loki-ModiMB hybrid... I wonder if that’d clutter up their product line too much? Interesting musing, @r2muchstuff .

Had you tried the Sennheisers in that mix? I have had friends prefer them over headphones in the $1500 range. With the Modi 3 release, that is certainly a good place to start in the Schiit product line. My cost on the Audio Technica's is pretty low so I may try a pair sometime.
One of the other newsgroups I subscribe to has a subset that are very critical of the of the Audio Technica M50X (unscrupulous product placement among social media providers... apparently the M40X & M60X [?!] don’t garner the same vitriol). As a (newly minted) middle age ScubaMAN, I’m enjoying my (Sennheiser HD6xx + ModiMB) pairing... particularly as I’m repairing and upgrading my source.

No, I was talking about the Modi 3 back panel. It uses the same power scheme as Fulla 2, with respect to USB as a power source. (Jason's chapter confirmed my guess.)
You were right on the money, @FrivolsListener . :ksc75smile:

I hear lots of folks love vali2 and senns. If you want to push your friends into cheap tubes Vali and modi 3 can't go wrong. If you aren't concerned about tubes vs SS the magni is fan freaking tastic. If you can get a deal on Audio-Technica see what their R70x runs for. Supposed to be awesome. Might be my next hp purchase. Super high ohms. Wouldn't have to wait for HD6XX to ship.

My understanding is the fulla 2 is a bit underpowered to get the HD6XX to their full potential (from schiit support themselves back in December 2017)
I hope Massdrop takes the hint about the HD650 clones and offer more drops (I received mine between May-June). I wonder if they’re generating an artificial demand to keep the hype (or if it’s really just logistical issues or the inherent consequence of batch-type product offerings). Ah, @Rensek ... if Schiit can ever offer a Vali2 with a bigger volume knob, I’d pawn a house-pet to pick it up (before I can actually afford one). I enjoy my Magni3... and it is enough. But then I see glowing tubes... those mesmerizing (dieselpunk [a la Fallout]) valves. I’m like a f%%king moth. Sheesh. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

So, no changes to the Modi MB...{snip}...Maybe I should have ordered that "B Stock".
I think you’re going to be pleased with your ModiMB (without buyer’s remorse). When I got my DAC, I hustled it over to one of my colleages... whose husband is an audio engineer. When I did show-and-tell-and-beer with the Eng., he looked at the Modi, started chittering excitedly, and we then trundled down to his basement audio-workshop. I understood about 2/3 of what he was talking about, but the upshot was that I had “a nice little DAC... with multibit no less... and you only paid how much?!” I’m paraphrasing a bit, buy you get the idea.:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

I can second the Fulla 2 and Senn comment. I have HD600s. The Fulla 2 did not provide enough power in my option (sound came out of the headphones but I do not think they sound anywhere near as good as they do on the Valhalla 2 (which should be no surprise))....{snip}...
Edit: failed to see it saved a previous draft where I answered a question that was already answered... removed that part.
Greetings, @judson_w ... I appreciated your commented about the Fulla2-HD6xx pairing. I still have a lingering fascination with the big volume knob (pot?), thus had this illogical opinion that it made it ‘better’ than my existing Magni3. I should know better that it’s what inside (the chasis) that counts. My gear’s at its best (for the price range)... I need to focus on my source component and its files.

Just having fun, do not really need another one.
May get the Modi 3 instead to make a "3" set with the Magni 3 which I did get from "B Stock".
For some reason I am fond of sets....{snip}.... Just 2muchstuff and choices. Never a bad thing.
...heh. I might have to get some attractive cordage and bind my growing stack together. I love my tiny-terror, Tower Of Power.
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

I’’m experiencing a brutal wind storm ripping up here on the Bruce Peninsula (too risky to go on the woodlot)... hope my morning dive’s still a GO. Sigh...:triportsad:

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #38,628 of 150,600
Perfectly understandable. The headphones I modified became open so that cut down on my build time. I also turned them into dual entry headphones, a lot of the Beyers are single entry. The headphones I modified originally sold for around $250 but sold off at $50 each, California Headphone Company Silverados, built like a tank and originally low impedance, closed. They are one of the few headphones I know of where changing out the headphone cable made a world of difference, I have to be careful making such claims and most of the major brands start with quality cables.

Yeah, outside of work and flying I don't really have a need for headphones. When I'm at home I'd much rather listen to 2 channel stereo.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #38,630 of 150,600
Yeah, outside of work and flying I don't really have a need for headphones. When I'm at home I'd much rather listen to 2 channel stereo.

With the right equipment, either can be amazing. I am more apt to run speakers at work in my office but I have different setups so I can test headphone cables as well. At home I run both about equally and headphones allow me to experiment with different kinds of wire, speakers not so much.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #38,631 of 150,600
@Jason Stoddard
I'm sure by now you are sick of us (me) asking:grin:... But I see Ragnarok is backordered until October 5th. Any comments as to the delay? Parts shortage?

I see the RMAF starts October 5th....
https://www.audiofest.net
Coincidence?.......:thinking:

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #38,632 of 150,600
With the right equipment, either can be amazing. I am more apt to run speakers at work in my office but I have different setups so I can test headphone cables as well. At home I run both about equally and headphones allow me to experiment with different kinds of wire, speakers not so much.

I find myself going through cycles of listening to my speakers at home a lot and then headphones at home a lot. Both sound good and both are distinct enough that they can provide something 'new' after I have listened to the other for awhile.

Plus being in an apartment complex with a flatmate who works nights, sometimes headphones are needed to get the volume I want without disturbing others.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #38,633 of 150,600
@Jason Stoddard
I'm sure by now you are sick of us (me) asking:grin:... But I see Ragnarok is backordered until October 5th. Any comments as to the delay? Parts shortage?

I see the RMAF starts October 5th....
https://www.audiofest.net
Coincidence?.......:thinking:

You can keep asking, but the answer doesn't change: we're a good LONG way out from a Ragnarok update. We've just had delays (and more important products to concentrate on).

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 21, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #38,634 of 150,600
You can keep asking, but the answer doesn't change: we're a good LONG way out from a Ragnarok update. We've just had delays (and more important products to concentrate on).

More important products eh? Love the quick response. Thanks for adding to the suspense of your next big thing.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #38,635 of 150,600
More important products eh? Love the quick response. Thanks for adding to the suspense of your next big thing.

Modi 3 is monumentally more important than Ragnarok. Don't read too much into it. As usual, there is no conspiracy.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 21, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #38,637 of 150,600
I find myself going through cycles of listening to my speakers at home a lot and then headphones at home a lot. Both sound good and both are distinct enough that they can provide something 'new' after I have listened to the other for awhile.

Plus being in an apartment complex with a flatmate who works nights, sometimes headphones are needed to get the volume I want without disturbing others.

I don't have this issue, I live alone, in a house... I crank my Schiit to 11 whenever I want!

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #38,639 of 150,600
Damn, a Loki-ModiMB hybrid... I wonder if that’d clutter up their product line too much? Interesting musing, @r2muchstuff .

One of the other newsgroups I subscribe to has a subset that are very critical of the of the Audio Technica M50X (unscrupulous product placement among social media providers... apparently the M40X & M60X [?!] don’t garner the same vitriol). As a (newly minted) middle age ScubaMAN, I’m enjoying my (Sennheiser HD6xx + ModiMB) pairing... particularly as I’m repairing and upgrading my source.

You were right on the money, @FrivolsListener . :ksc75smile:

I hope Massdrop takes the hint about the HD650 clones and offer more drops (I received mine between May-June). I wonder if they’re generating an artificial demand to keep the hype (or if it’s really just logistical issues or the inherent consequence of batch-type product offerings). Ah, @Rensek ... if Schiit can ever offer a Vali2 with a bigger volume knob, I’d pawn a house-pet to pick it up (before I can actually afford one). I enjoy my Magni3... and it is enough. But then I see glowing tubes... those mesmerizing (dieselpunk [a la Fallout]) valves. I’m like a f%%king moth. Sheesh. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

I think you’re going to be pleased with your ModiMB (without buyer’s remorse). When I got my DAC, I hustled it over to one of my colleages... whose husband is an audio engineer. When I did show-and-tell-and-beer with the Eng., he looked at the Modi, started chittering excitedly, and we then trundled down to his basement audio-workshop. I understood about 2/3 of what he was talking about, but the upshot was that I had “a nice little DAC... with multibit no less... and you only paid how much?!” I’m paraphrasing a bit, buy you get the idea.:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Greetings, @judson_w ... I appreciated your commented about the Fulla2-HD6xx pairing. I still have a lingering fascination with the big volume knob (pot?), thus had this illogical opinion that it made it ‘better’ than my existing Magni3. I should know better that it’s what inside (the chasis) that counts. My gear’s at its best (for the price range)... I need to focus on my source component and its files.

...heh. I might have to get some attractive cordage and bind my growing stack together. I love my tiny-terror, Tower Of Power.
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

I’’m experiencing a brutal wind storm ripping up here on the Bruce Peninsula (too risky to go on the woodlot)... hope my morning dive’s still a GO. Sigh...:triportsad:

@ScubaMan2017 If you want I can replace the Vali 2 knob with something larger or help you do it. I removed my Fulla 2 Knob last night and it was as simple as pulling firmly up. I might reuse it when I reorient the volume control if it is a good size match. If I don't wind up using it the Fulla Knob can be yours if you don't want to buy a knob and it fits. All you'd need to do is pay for shipping. I would say swapping the knob would be very easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back