Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 17, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #36,706 of 151,705
Panda what are those large wooden objects between your Schiit and the shelves? Just curious if they are more than just blocks of wood.

Oh and welcome back.
Those must be the famous IKEA cutting blocks

Aug 17, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #36,707 of 151,705
Btw, fantastic to see what the edge does in the docu Lets get loud...
I think you'll find "Lets get loud" is a Jennifer Lopez DVD, :blush:
I hope you are referring to the "It Might Get Loud" DVD
:v:

Aug 17, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #36,708 of 151,705
Those must be the famous IKEA cutting blocks

Wow i’didn’t know ikea was selling audiophile equipment.

Ok actually I use Ikea stuff for my “HT entertainment center” and surround speakers stands.

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #36,709 of 151,705
I had some actual Sanus speaker stands but my kids destroyed them.

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #36,710 of 151,705
IMG_0049.jpg I am listening to a Raspberry Pi music source thanks to CAPTDeadpool. Running it trough a solid state amp for now and later it will be part of a portable outdoor system. It has a DAC module so I can store flac files on an sd card or thumb drive for a few hours of music. This is a seven inch touch screen and I have a blue tooth keyboard and mouse on the way as well. There will most likely be a couple of Coaster amps involved along the way.

Many thanks

Tom

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #36,711 of 151,705
I am listening to a Raspberry Pi music source thanks to CAPTDeadpool. Running it trough a solid state amp for now and for my use as a portable outdoor system, this should be perfect.

Many thanks

Tom
Your welcome.

It is good practice and I’m looking forward to building some coasters as soon a new soldering iron arrives that won’t singe my board.

Disclaimer: I was using a soldering practice board. No coasters were harmed during this lesson in more tempature (upto 950f in this case with no practical temperature control) in the iron is not better.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #36,712 of 151,705
I probably should have mentioned I have several soldering stations new in the box. When I ran my own business I tended to grab extras on things I used if I caught a deal on them. To this day I am still tempted to buy extra magnifier lights because of the deal I get on them but a half dozen in my shop is plenty.

700 degrees F should be fine for those boards, just remember to tin the pads before soldering the part, the rosin flux in the center of the solder will clean the trace and allow the solder to flow.

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #36,713 of 151,705
Aug 17, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #36,715 of 151,705
I had some actual Sanus speaker stands but my kids destroyed them.
I picked up a pair of Norstone Stylum 3 speaker stands recently from a local charity shop for $5 each, hard to destroy them - very strong,
I think it was pretty clear they had no idea what they were. :thinking:

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #36,716 of 151,705
I can't believe it! I finally caught up on this thread!

Hurricane Irma has forced us to put our home up for sale and move into my mom's home which I care for and partially remodeled a few years back with all hurricane "proof" windows and sliding doors. Now that she is in a nursing home I can't be there everyday and take care of two homes anymore due to health so all our Schiit had to be moved right at the time Jason's thread became the most popular spot on the web:L3000:

Most everything including power amps had to go in a closet. The main speaker system is in the living room on the other side of the wall, nice and neat. Freya is controlled by an ir repeater. The closet set up allows Yggy to services the living room, den headphones and speaker system.:)

It's great to see so many on this thread.

Jason, where is Loki Maxi?:o2smile:Or did I miss it? And Sol? Making a space for it!

Welcome back, indeed! Sorry to read about your Mom.
Great picture - a very comfortable-looking space. Love the old metronome!

Aug 18, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #36,717 of 151,705
Nice rig @Pandahead !! You must provide more info on the wood / butcher block isolators -- I'm especially curious as to what you used for isolating feet.

Also sorry to hear about your mother's situation. It can be quite stressful and having your Schiit back in service should allow for some needed relaxation time.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #36,718 of 151,705
I am listening to a Raspberry Pi music source thanks to CAPTDeadpool. Running it trough a solid state amp for now and later it will be part of a portable outdoor system. It has a DAC module so I can store flac files on an sd card or thumb drive for a few hours of music. This is a seven inch touch screen and I have a blue tooth keyboard and mouse on the way as well. There will most likely be a couple of Coaster amps involved along the way.

Many thanks

Tom

Nice. That will most certainly be my next endeavor. :wink:

Aug 18, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #36,719 of 151,705

Great, learn everything you possibly can about them so I can contact you day or night with questions! :)

I know I am running this PI through a very good amp but the Dac does a very good job, I was surprised. My next endeavor is to try it through a coaster amp, and a Lyr 2, and a Valhalla 2. I will also have to build some short custom cables.

Aug 18, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #36,720 of 151,705

If you need any assistance just let me know. I'll be glad to help.

I've got some spare parts if you have trouble getting everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back