Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 18, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #36,721 of 151,179
IMG_0048 (1).PNG
I need to interrupt for an important announcement from the county in which I reside.

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #36,723 of 151,179
Welcome back, indeed! Sorry to read about your Mom.
Great picture - a very comfortable-looking space. Love the old metronome!
Thank you, my wife plays the piano and when I was young I tried to play classical guitar. I was never good at it so now that arthritis has taken the upper hand of the hands so to speak it's not a big adjustment, that's what Schiit is for:smile_phones:

Just to add my 2¢ a little late, Mark Knopfler is my vote for favorite guitarist. He's like fine Scotch....gets better finesse with age. The picture of the 6 guitars are his favorite acoustics.

Hopefully my description won't ignite a debate on "whisk(e)y":beyersmile:

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #36,725 of 151,179
I always liked High Sheriff

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #36,726 of 151,179
Nice rig @Pandahead !! You must provide more info on the wood / butcher block isolators -- I'm especially curious as to what you used for isolating feet.

Also sorry to hear about your mother's situation. It can be quite stressful and having your Schiit back in service should allow for some needed relaxation time.
Thank you. So the isolation feet I made from cork and a rubber door mat from Lowe's. Glued with contact cement. It's really just a collection of experimentation over the years. Once I get the main 2 channel rig dialed in, who knows when that will be, I'll remove them and see if it mattered. Since the shelves are wall mounted I figured to start that way from the get go. And sometimes you just want something sturdy and flat to put a component on. BTW, Gumby has 3 feet, it sits obediently most anywhere!

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #36,727 of 151,179
Thank you, my wife plays the piano and when I was young I tried to play classical guitar. I was never good at it so now that arthritis has taken the upper hand of the hands so to speak it's not a big adjustment, that's what Schiit is for:smile_phones:

Just to add my 2¢ a little late, Mark Knopfler is my vote for favorite guitarist. He's like fine Scotch....gets better finesse with age. The picture of the 6 guitars are his favorite acoustics.

Hopefully my description won't ignite a debate on "whisk(e)y":beyersmile:

My memory is not what it once was but I can remember buying Sgt. Peppers, The White Album, and where I was the first time I heard Sultans of Swing. Knopfler is talented and within my collection I even have some of the movie scores he composed.

Aug 18, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #36,730 of 151,179
In the rhythm of Bob Marley's song it would indeed be impossible to sing:
"I shot the sheriff, but I didn't shoot the undersheriff"
I should mail a reprimand to the sheriff's office of that town.
Undersheriff....... it's a disgrace.

It might be wise to familiarize yourself with this song, were you to mail such a reprimand.:)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #36,731 of 151,179
Aug 18, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #36,733 of 151,179
I can offer no advice except do what makes you happy. I like the Freya, how long have you been waiting to get one?

I do not spend much on equipment and DIY can deliver quite a bang for the buck so I often go though route.

I ordered Freya back in..... May was it? Maybe it was April. Turns out when you put it in the same shopping cart as an Yggy Analog B upgrade it will not ship until the RMA is triggered for the upgrade. The ordered has to be shipped in full. I decided to just leave the situation to lie since I can't decide whether or not I *should* have ordered the Freya. And it's not like the Yggrasil doesn't sound great as it is, so it just doesn't bother me that the whole thing is taking forever. There are times when I forget I even placed that order.

Aug 18, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #36,735 of 151,179
Class-A Extremism: a cautionary tale...

Hey folks, with all the recent thread chatter about Class-A, I thought I'd share a little regarding a personal project which pushed things to a bit of an extreme.

The amps shown were built a little over ten years ago. The primary factor in the genesis of the design was a casual wager I made with an audio friend of mine over a beer. I stated that I could build a SET amp utilizing a triode-connected pentode or beam-power output stage which would rival SET amps using the acclaimed WE 300B DHT tube. At the time, I was also itching to try out some new concepts I'd been working with, and so I jumped into the project with both feet. Here is a basic description of the design:

SET "integrated monoblock" amplifiers with local input/source switching and volume controls. Each rated (conservatively) at 10-WPC output into 4, 6, or 8 Ohms at 5% or lower THD+N from 20Hz to 20kHz at full rated output power. The amplification chain is a 6J5 input stage DC (direct) coupled to a 5687 driver stage, feeding a triode-connected KT90 (or KT88) output/power stage. The 5AR4 rectified, multi-stage L/C-filtered power supply utilizes all polypropylene filter/reservoir capacitors. A stacked pair of 0A2 gas discharge tubes shunt regulate/isolate the supply voltage to the input stage. Absolutely no feedback is utilized anywhere in the circuit. All filaments are supplied by DC. Much effort was directed towards achieving low-distortion low-frequency performance.

The results: Gratifying. A harmonic complementarity scheme was used in selecting the output and driver tube operating points, resulting in unusually low THD numbers for amplifiers of this type. Subjectively, the amplifiers performed very well --beyond expectations. The low frequency performance, and transient performance was particularly noteworthy. The units sounded much "bigger" than their 10-Watt ratings would suggest. Various loudspeakers were used: back-loaded horn, bass reflex, transmission line, sealed, open-baffle --satisfying results with all tried. Resolution and separation/differentiation of instruments was excellent.

Some Caveats: these were ridiculously bulky and heavy amplifiers. The chassis was built of 6061-T6 aluminum pieces with a minimum panel thickness of 1/8" --necessary to deal with the iron weight of the prodigious output and power transformers, filter chokes. The units weighed-in at almost 60 lbs each. Unfortunately, big bass performance with tube amplifiers equals big pieces of iron --essentially no way around it. Power consumption per-amplifier was around 75-80 Watts, as I recall. A lot of power consumed and heat created for 10-WPC output. And... it was a fairly expensive project. Total parts and materials costs for the pair was around $2K.

Was it worth it? All in all --definitely. These amps brought a lot of musical enjoyment. The shocked reactions on the faces of DHT people and other audiophile friends alone was probably worth the cost and effort. Having said that, after a couple years lugging these heavy monsters up-and-down stairs during a few household moves etc, I let them go. The bulkiness and weight of the amps didn't mesh well with my lifestyle needs at the time.

Would I build them again? Probably not. There are so many efficient loudspeakers available these days. I find I can get satisfying results in modest-sized listening areas using less powerful, more compact amplifiers. Another thing I will not be doing again: mirror-polishing aluminum panels --what a tiring chore that was.

In the Pics: From our apartment circa 2008. At the time of these pics, 1980's vintage DCM TF-600 'Time Frame' transmission-line speakers were being used with the amps. The DCMs were not the most revealing or refined speakers, but they had excellent, tight bass extending to a real 30Hz in the room, plus a HUGE "wall of sound" presentation thanks to wall and ceiling reflections provided by the angled rear-firing tweeters. My GF really liked those speakers --they were seriously fun. Also note the tube phono preamp (self-designed) under the Technics SL-1210 turntable.

A note on the test pics and plots: The little paper tags on the CRT indicate the frequency of the square wave in Hertz (Left) and output power in Watts (Right). These scope traces were all made with an 8-Ohm resistive load.
The THD+N plots shown were made with data generated using all lab-grade test equipment including an HP distortion analyzer. The amp was designed specifically to power a nominal 6-Ohm loudspeaker load, but it also produced significantly lower mid-band distortion into 8-Ohm loads. It did a quite solid job driving 4-Ohm loads as well.

regulus3.jpg

regulus5.jpg

dcm_tf600.jpg

set90_t2.jpg

set90_40Hz.jpg

set90_1kHz.jpg

Attachments

• set90_10kHz.jpg
    set90_10kHz.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread