Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 29, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #35,716 of 154,173
Unless Jason has pulled off another miracle, a 40-50wpc class A won't be in a Vidar chassis. In a previous post, he calculated that Vidar's enclosure would just barely accomodate the thermal load of a 20-25 wpc class A amp. Either it's a different chassis, his genius found a way to pull it off in a Vidar chassis, or he finally took my advise and developed a Vidar sized mineral oil immersion tank!! :D

I'd be just fine with 20 to 30 wpc, in a class A amp I can afford, and don't have to build.

I'm going to have my hands full with building my own highly efficient speakers to have audio nirvana for the middle class :wink:

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #35,717 of 154,173
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #35,719 of 154,173
I've noticed idle power draw is not a good measure of potential amp power.

This is the time of day headphones really shine for me X:darthsmile:X 1:45 am

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #35,720 of 154,173
An integrated class A Rok, with remote of course!

This wouldn't work of course:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

True but there’s a new topology being called Nexus. So its everyone’s guess!

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #35,721 of 154,173
I'm sitting here imagining a Ragnarok with heatsinks hanging off the sides. :beerchug:

Who knows what he might come up with?!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #35,722 of 154,173
4a76beb34eaaa1a9aa687ab6a958d5bc.jpg

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #35,724 of 154,173
Dunno if it's just "kids." I've done a fair amount of backcountry ski touring over the last 20 years in places with very limited wireless and sometimes rather basic facilities, and over time all age groups seem to have grown way more concerned with the lack of network than with the lack of flush toilets or running water...

Until they see or experience their first case of Typhoid.

Jul 29, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #35,726 of 154,173
Um. If the amp draws 10x the standing current that means it idles at 450 watts. Yikes!

Cell phones are considered high current devices ( relative to voltage) and low impedance headphones of say 32 ohms impedance work with them. Some class A OTL tube amps might have nearly
100 volts at the output but lower current, you need high impedance headphones for those generally. Power, measured in watts is equal to voltage times current. Class A transistor amps are high current load devices so this may well be a class A amp that is in the works.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #35,727 of 154,173
No secrets here. From previous posts, folks may have been able to assemble that I was born and raised in VA near DC.

:ksc75smile:

I spend more time in Virginia (Woif Trap area) when visiting now having seen most of the sights in DC through the years. My son used to live on K street in DC but has since moved. Spring for cherry blossoms and Christmas time are generally when I visit now. I consider DC one of the loveliest cities around and have visited many buildings designed by Danial Burnham, Union Station was close to where my son once lived. Burnham designed Union Station in Chicago as well. Originally from Illinois, I have visited homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and while driving from Indiana to DC we generally pass the exit to Fallingwater in Pennsylvania. Soon after completion the owners complained to Wright that the roof leaked, his replay was "use buckets" or something to that effect; sometimes aesthetics trump functionality. It is a museum now and quite a ways off the beaten path but certainly worth a visit.

Not long ago on this thread, James McMurtry was mentioned. Here is a line from his song Hurricane Party:

The hurricane party's windin' down
and we're all waitin' for the end
And I don't won't another drink,
I only want that last one again

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #35,728 of 154,173
@golfbravobravo - With all the food tips floating about, I am not sure if anyone has mentioned ... Even if they have, it's worth mentioning again. A month in, surely you've noticed that most all iced-tea is pre-sweetened. They don't ask. Also, FYI it's pronounced - Swee-tea. I happen to love it, but be prepared for a wicked sugar-high. (((Humming Empire Records Soundtrack))) And be careful... depending on who you're talking with, the BBQ debate runs deep there... :wink: <joking> but only a little.[/QUOTE]

No mention of tea yet. However, having lived in the US for almost 25 years I have still to find the perfect cup of tea. As a Yorkshireman (as is Andrew Jones for halo effect :)), tea is my lifeblood! And you guys remain blisfully unaware of the concept! Tea is made with water that IS boiling - not that has been boiled at some stage in its life - and careully brewed. The sugar thing: well in the 1970s there was a sever sugar shortage in the UK and we dployed (of of all paces to the Far East - mainly HKG) with almost no sugar on board. I decided then to either have sugar or not. The ration was so modest that 'not' was the only logical conclusion, despite being a sweet tooth my whole life. Since then, I have not added sugar to anything, though processed food does its best to defaeat my sugar ration!

Enjoy Honky Fid; I went back for a consulting gig after 35 years a couple of years ago. It was fun to see the changes.

And, BTW I will try the tea, but sugarless.

Cheers

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #35,729 of 154,173
So I placed an order pair of Massdrop 6XX back in Feb., after hearing all of the Senn. HD650 praise being thrown about. I received them in June and after burning them in for a week, proceeded to start giving them a listen. Cutting to the chase, I was not really impressed. Maybe it was the fact that I'd grown accustomed to the Hifiman HE400S and Sundara sound, but the HD6XX sounded congested and the Senn. veil was very present. To me, it was almost like cotton was stuffed into the ear cups in varying amounts depending on the music and recording. I sat them aside for nearly a month and decided to revisit them recently, but I was still not impressed. I was beginning to think maybe I'd tossed $200 out the window.

Perhaps people need to finally realize that HD600 is simply a better headphone... :deadhorse:

Jul 29, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #35,730 of 154,173
I can appreciate outhouse life, my family had a cabin on a lake when I was a kid. No running water, outhouse behind the cabin. Been there since the 60's. The family added plumbing and whatnot about 95, but i made a point to use the outhouse on each visit until the DNR made us remove it about 2016. Felt right, my grandfather built it.

"You were lucky, we used to DREAM of having an outhouse". (The cultual reference may not travel - as Ms Jody constantly tells me - check out the 'Four Yorkshiremen' if not) but we did in fact have an outside 'long drop' toilet until the late fifties when we had this marvelous new thing - a bathroom - with an indoor toilet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back