Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 7, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #34,666 of 150,589
I am calibrating my super-tweeters on Simone Lamsma, professionally butchering "In Tempus Preasens" from Dmitri Sjostakovitsj with a chainsaw to her Stradivarius.
My roommate (the Honorable Principessa Constanza Du Bois De La Chartreuse) is hiding under the bed.

Care to elaborate on "calibrating my super tweeters" what does that mean exactly?

Jul 7, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #34,667 of 150,589
BUT the cat thing in particular is way out of control. Its ok, I found the ignore and other than Jason or Mike I'm just going to ignore the cat people.
I'm in a quandary about ignoring, because some of the cat people are knowledgeable about audio and on occasion post something useful that I don't want to miss. I wish there was a way to only filter cat posts.

Jul 7, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #34,668 of 150,589
Care to elaborate on "calibrating my super tweeters" what does that mean exactly?
He is stirring the pot again

downloadfile.gif

Jul 7, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #34,671 of 150,589
Jul 7, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #34,672 of 150,589
Ok I posted some helpful hints in the new Coaster thread that should be scary enough that only qualified DIYer's or serious masochists will attempt the build. I lose an average of two parts per board just handling them with tweezers and I am fairly ambidextrous, being able to solder with your opposite hand is not a must, but it helps.

A link for those of you who like pictures of tiny components painstakingly soldered onto a Schiit Coaster.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/unofficial-schiit-diy-coaster-amp.883624/#post-14346578

Finally a day below 90 in Indiana so an evening of music, drinks, and food at my fire pit is in order.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #34,673 of 150,589
I have Mimby playback questions that have been rolling around in my head for a bit and I think it is time to pose them of the DAC gurus here. So at the risk of showing my DAC ignorance, here goes...

Mimby (and Bifrost for that matter) use the AD5547 DAC chip and the famous Schiit Combo Burrito closed form filter. Now as I understand it, Mimby and Bifrost oversamples any source less than 192 or 176 up to either 176 or 192 (depending on clock) and functions as a NOS (non-oversampling) DAC when source is 192 or 176. When in NOS mode and processing a native source signal that is either 192 or 176, the Combo Burrito filter is also bypassed. Now this brings me to my questions/quandary.

The Combo Burrito (CB) is very highly regarded and yet it is not used with native 192 or 176 sources. So is by-passing CB at these sampling rates mean I'm missing out on additional audio greatness? Or is the use of NO filter always preferable no matter how great the filter is?

Now to what brought this quandary about...

I use JRiver Media Center (JRMC) to stream much of my music and JRMC has the ability to Up and Down sample music being streamed. Given the CB filter is so fantastic, is there any benefit in using JRMC to Down Sample 192 and 176 sources so Mimby does NOT by-pass the CB filter? If using NO filter is preferred to any filter (no matter how good), should I Up Sample music source files that are below 192 and 176 up to 192 or 176 to BY-PASS the CB filter and effectively run Mimby as a NOS DAC? Or is on-the-fly Up/Down sampling in software on a computer just a really bad idea in general?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #34,674 of 150,589
I don't believe the filter on the mimby/bimby is the same as the one on the yggy/Gumby. Believe it's a combo burrito filter, not a mega combo burrito.

As to your other questions I have no idea, what is Tidal HiFi? If that isn't 176/192 I'll never find out.

Jul 7, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #34,675 of 150,589
Corrected. For some reason I thought Yggy and Gumby used a Super Mega Combo Burrito filter. I don't know where I got that idea. Maybe it was Taco Casa. :wink:

Thanks.

Jul 7, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #34,676 of 150,589
Tidal HiFi is 16/44.1, Master is supposed to be 24/96.

Jul 7, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #34,677 of 150,589
Tidal HiFi is 16/44.1, Master is supposed to be 24/96.
Tidal Master seems to have a variety of output types, if I am remembering correctly.
More noticeable to me on my Emotiva DC-1 readout.

Mike

Jul 7, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #34,678 of 150,589
I have Mimby playback questions that have been rolling around in my head for a bit and I think it is time to pose them of the DAC gurus here. So at the risk of showing my DAC ignorance, here goes...

Mimby (and Bifrost for that matter) use the AD5547 DAC chip and the famous Schiit Combo Burrito closed form filter. Now as I understand it, Mimby and Bifrost oversamples any source less than 192 or 176 up to either 176 or 192 (depending on clock) and functions as a NOS (non-oversampling) DAC when source is 192 or 176. When in NOS mode and processing a native source signal that is either 192 or 176, the Combo Burrito filter is also bypassed. Now this brings me to my questions/quandary.

The Combo Burrito (CB) is very highly regarded and yet it is not used with native 192 or 176 sources. So is by-passing CB at these sampling rates mean I'm missing out on additional audio greatness? Or is the use of NO filter always preferable no matter how great the filter is?

Now to what brought this quandary about...

I use JRiver Media Center (JRMC) to stream much of my music and JRMC has the ability to Up and Down sample music being streamed. Given the CB filter is so fantastic, is there any benefit in using JRMC to Down Sample 192 and 176 sources so Mimby does NOT by-pass the CB filter? If using NO filter is preferred to any filter (no matter how good), should I Up Sample music source files that are below 192 and 176 up to 192 or 176 to BY-PASS the CB filter and effectively run Mimby as a NOS DAC? Or is on-the-fly Up/Down sampling in software on a computer just a really bad idea in general?

What are your thoughts?
Ripper - My understanding is that 192/176k original samples is better than a lower sampling rate oversampled to the same. I would not downsample since that will throw away original samples and then the oversampling in the Schiit will have to extrapolate extra (non-original) samples. Schiit doesn't throw away any of the original samples it receives when oversampling, but you'd be throwing them away in your downsampling in JRMC. If someone knows more than me, feel free to chime in.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #34,679 of 150,589
When in NOS mode and processing a native source signal that is either 192 or 176, the Combo Burrito filter is also bypassed. Now this brings me to my questions/quandary.

Edit: What I said here was wrong. I only leave this up because some people responded to it below and you might find their responses confusing.. Sorry. NF:triportsad:

I think there is a misunderstanding here,
Any DAC uses a filter: no filter, no analog output.
The upsampling is only about the sample rate of the digital data. If the sample rate is 16 or 24, the Schiit filter upsamples, above than not.
In either case you get the special results of Mike's filter.

edit: As noted by another, above I used the bit rate, not the sample rate. In simple terms we have 16/44 and 24/96 ( and some others in between) that most of us use. It is the 44 and 96 that are doubled (well, 2x, 4x...) in upsampling. The point I was trying to make is that whatever the bit-rate/sampling-rate you are feeding to the multibit Schiit DACs, you are using Mikes filter for the analog signal/music, which is a very good thing.

As to whether you should let an outside source upsample, I don't know.
My understanding, for what it's worth 2 cents? or overpriced?? NF

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #34,680 of 150,589
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back