Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 7, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #34,681 of 150,605
I think there is a misunderstanding here,
Any DAC uses a filter: no filter, no analog output.
The upsampling is only about the sample rate of the digital data. If the sample rate is 16 or 24, the Schiit filter upsamples, above than not.
In either case you get the special results of Mike's filter.

As to whether you should let an outside source upsample, I don't know.
My understanding, for what it's worth 2 cents? or overpriced?? NF
Yeah, IIRC oversampling allows for a more gradual filter which reduces ringing. Also, I do believe that Schiit's DACs oversample all but the highest sampling rates. The 16 and 24 you mention is bit depth which is unrelated - unless you were referring to lower sampling rates, then those would be 20.5k and 24k which aren't hifi (I doubt this is what you were referring to).

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #34,682 of 150,605
I always wonder about that, I run the Tidal app in Win 10 and have no real way to tell.
I could just feed Yggy 24/192 to be sure I guess.

Actually I'll just stick with 24/96
https://www.whathifi.com/news/tidal-adds-hi-res-audio-streams-tidal-masters

Mike how do you tell?
You guys want to run the native sample rate and bit depth. If you're using windows mixer, everything will get resampled. That's why people use ASIO and WASAPI so they can bypass windows mixer and run bit-perfect - you don't have to think about it then.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #34,683 of 150,605
You guys want to run the native sample rate and bit depth. If you're using windows mixer, everything will get resampled. That's why people use ASIO and WASAPI so they can bypass windows mixer and run bit-perfect - you don't have to think about it then.

Not using Windows audio stack, I use a driver from HT Omega, I set to 16/44.1 for HiFi and 24/96 for Master.
http://www.htomega.com/claro-ii.html

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #34,684 of 150,605
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #34,685 of 150,605
Interesting, so it doesn't just have a passthrough/bit-perfect setting?
Actually it does, I just mess with the drivers settings a lot, perhaps I don't need to, unlike the Windows driver.

Edit: are you referring to this- http://www.asio4all.org/

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #34,686 of 150,605
Actually it does, I just mess with the drivers settings a lot, perhaps I don't need to, unlike the Windows driver.

Edit: are you referring to this- http://www.asio4all.org/
That's a generic ASIO driver. I was looking up your card, its driver appears to come bundled with an ASIO driver. The best way to check is to go to Tidal and go to the Settings>Streaming section and see what you have for driver options there. If you see anything that has the name of your card and also says WASAPI or ASIO, that's what you want (either).

I should also mention that if you're not on one of those, then you are using the windows audio stack.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #34,687 of 150,605
Ok thank you.

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #34,688 of 150,605
...(snip)...How do I add my equipment to the bottom of these posts?

Welcome to the forum, @CAPT Deadpool ... open up your account settings or profile editing (?)... look for ‘signature’. There should be an option to edit it. That’s where I share my foolishness (audio flow).

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #34,689 of 150,605
I think there is a misunderstanding here,
Any DAC uses a filter: no filter, no analog output.
The upsampling is only about the sample rate of the digital data. If the sample rate is 16 or 24, the Schiit filter upsamples, above than not.
In either case you get the special results of Mike's filter.

OK. Now I'm really confused. I thought the sample rate is 44khz -192khz and bit depth was the 16bit or 24bit. Sample was how many 'snapshots' per second where taken of the sine wave (frequency) and the bit depth represented the dynamic volume (amplitude) of the sine wave being sampled. The more bit depth, the more dynamic range the DAC has.

Add to that what Jason states from the Schiit FAQ page for Bimby (below) re: no filter and it really is giving me a headache.

What’s this about a non-oversampling (NOS) mode?
For 176.4kHz and 192kHz input sample rates, Bifrost Multibit passes the music right along—no digital filter, no oversampling. Have fun! Upsample lower-rate music with another algorithm, and compare to our “comboburrito” filter.

:tired_face:

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #34,690 of 150,605
OK. Now I'm really confused. See the below from the Schiit FAQ page for Bimby. It states no digital filter ...

What’s this about a non-oversampling (NOS) mode?
For 176.4kHz and 192kHz input sample rates, Bifrost Multibit passes the music right along—no digital filter, no oversampling. Have fun! Upsample lower-rate music with another algorithm, and compare to our “comboburrito” filter.

:tired_face:
That means at 192/176, they pass it through bit-perfect. At lower sampling rates, they upsample using their comboburrito filter. They feel their filter is superior (as do I) versus using another upsampling algorithm.

For instance, if you have a 44.1k sampling rate and you upsample in JRMC to 176 before sending the signal to the Bimby, you'll bypass the Bimby's comboburrito filter. If you just send the Bimby the 44.1k, it will upsample it using the comboburrito filter which should sound better. Long story short, Schiit will always sound its best with a native sampling rate - unless you prefer the upsampling algorithm in your source (not likely).

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #34,691 of 150,605
Yes,, I erred in using bit rate rather than sample rate to make my point.
I have edited that . But I had some other misconceptions as well

Now about the rest of confusion. Go to the Yggy FAQ, "Bullschiit'
What’s this bullschiit about a closed form digital filter, and why does it matter?
Most digital filters destroy the original samples in the process of upsampling. They’re just like sample rate converters or delta-sigma DACs. We’re all about the original samples, so we created a digital filter with a true closed-form solution, which means it retains all the original samples. This is a major difference between Schiit multibit DACs like Yggdrasil and every other DAC in the world.

I think this is the intent of the remark on the Bifrost page, that the filter is not being used to upsample. I don't think they mean the DAC filter isn't being used at all to make music, simply that they are passing along the original bits and not messing them up in the process.

edit: Hmmm, I was wrong on some of this. But part of the issue is that there is a time domain issue as well as a frequency domain issue...and upsampling is not innocuous, as I had supposed.

Johnzz4 said it better

NF

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #34,692 of 150,605
What I'm curious about is the difference between the Mimby and Yggy filters. We should probably be having this discussion in Mike's thread since it's a digital filter and not an analog filter :smirk:

I believe the Yggy upsamples further and probably has a more complex algorithm.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #34,693 of 150,605
Got it. So I think the answer to my quandary is ...

1. Don't Down Sample via computer (ex: 192 to 96) as the computer program will throw away data and then Mimby would have to interpolate to fill in missing data to get the 96 back to 192.

2. Don't Up Sample via computer (ex: 96 to 192) as the computer would have to interpolate and generate filler data while the Mimby DAC's Up Sampling using the CB filter is better and does not throw away any data.

Right?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #34,694 of 150,605
Got it. So I think the answer to my quandary is ...

1. Don't Down Sample via computer (ex: 192 to 96) as the computer program will throw away data and then Mimby would have to interpolate to fill in missing data to get the 96 back to 192.

2. Don't Up Sample via computer as the computer would have to interpolate and generate filler data while the Mimby DAC's Up Sampling using the CB filter is better and does not throw away any data.

Right?
Exactly

Jul 8, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #34,695 of 150,605
Thanks to all! And the moral of this story is ...

Never second guess your Schiit. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back