Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 25, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #33,212 of 149,304
May 25, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #33,213 of 149,304
When drinking scotch you might want to chill it but you do not want small chips of ice melting and adding water to the scotch quickly.
I hope you are joking here.
Single Malt should be drank at chamber temperature and with 2 drops of water to open up the bouquet.

May 25, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #33,214 of 149,304
It is probably an American thing like cold beer, generally I drink it straight up with no water, but occasionally a single ice cube or slightly chilled.

I know we are probably heathens for doing so.:ksc75smile:

Here is a statement from Glenlivet:

“Yes, you can put ice in single malt scotch,” says Glenlivet Ambassador Phil Huckle, immediately throwing cold water on our seemingly cut-and-dry answer. “But not too much. Put one or two cubes in your whisky, it will chill it slightly, melt into water, and then help release all these wonderful aromas and flavours.”

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #33,215 of 149,304
Sam, I will keep your generous offer in mind. If it is 21 year old Balvenie, I have a feeling you might even drive from South Georgia to help.:smile_phones:

This will take some experimenting to perfect and my local liquor store will probably wonder why I am measuring scotch bottles with a caliper as I shop. Balvenie does have a nice wide bottle so it could be close to what I want.
If it is Balvenie, I will turn off my test equipment and head north. As for a candidate bottle, look at Aberfeldy single malt. Only 12 years old, but palatable and it comes in a bottle that is a little under 4" od. I just discarded one last week or I would mail it to you.

May 25, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #33,216 of 149,304
If it is Balvenie, I will turn off my test equipment and head north. As for a candidate bottle, look at Aberfeldy single malt. Only 12 years old, but palatable and it comes in a bottle that is a little under 4" od. I just discarded one last week or I would mail it to you.

I will look for the Aberfeldy. Plenty of scotch comes in nice tube containers too, they might hold the Coaster amp well too but it would not be as visible. Sam the next time I get a nice Balvenie I will invite you up. When my son is in town we tend to buy a couple bottles of the good stuff. He also owns more Schiit gear than me but rarely gets much time to listen.

May 25, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #33,217 of 149,304
Single Malt should be drank at chamber temperature and with 2 drops of water to open up the bouquet.
The problem is that "room temperature" in Europe is a significantly lower number than in the U. S. Room temperature in summer, even with air conditioning, is about 25 degrees Celsius. So, in many locales, wines and spirits need a little help to get to their optimal drinking temperature. You are correct that a small splash of water helps the flavor immensely, which is why many Americans use one small piece of ice to accomplish both needs.

May 25, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #33,218 of 149,304
I've stayed the Westin Kierland Resort in Phoenix where there is a sophisticated Scotch Library and I've partaken in a couple scotch tastings. Few things I learned that you may wish to try... I don't posit one correct way over another. This may be old news to some and new news to others. For the record, I generally like it neat at room temp.

* Bouquet - Unlike wine, place your hand over the glass and splash some scotch onto your palm. Rub both palms against one another until things get a bit sticky. Smell. May be repeated with each different bottle.
* Mouth Priming - Take a sip and swish around your mouth for 10-20 seconds. This will be the least favorable sip. and only needs to happen at the beginning of the session; not before each different glass or bottle.
* Breaking the Surface Tension - A drop or two of water or from an ice cube to break the surface tension of the whiskey. Should be done after each glass is refilled.
* Enjoy

May 25, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #33,219 of 149,304
The problem is that "room temperature" in Europe is a significantly lower number than in the U. S. Room temperature in summer, even with air conditioning, is about 25 degrees Celsius. So, in many locales, wines and spirits need a little help to get to their optimal drinking temperature. You are correct that a small splash of water helps the flavor immensely, which is why many Americans use one small piece of ice to accomplish both needs.

Now if we really want to open a can of worms we could talk about chilling red wines during hot temperatures, depending on the wine of course. Climate is always a factor.

Very well said Sam.

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #33,220 of 149,304
I will look for the Aberfeldy. Plenty of scotch comes in nice tube containers too, they might hold the Coaster amp well too but it would not be as visible. Sam the next time I get a nice Balvenie I will invite you up. When my son is in town we tend to buy a couple bottles of the good stuff. He also owns more Schiit gear than me but rarely gets much time to listen.
Thank you for the invite, I really appreciate it. Let us know how the tube swapping/load resistor/plate voltage experiments go.

May 25, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #33,222 of 149,304
Thank you for the invite, I really appreciate it. Let us know how the tube swapping/load resistor/plate voltage experiments go.

I will do that on a new thread. I am also experimenting with most every type of wire I can find for the construction of headphone cables. Those experiments will take a while to complete but at least my test setup is nearly done.

May 25, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #33,223 of 149,304

I learned that the hard way at my brother's wedding. Had an 18 yr old single in a flask. It tasted great during pre wedding photos. I then put it into the cooler for the limo, as I didn't want to bring the flask into the church. After the wedding the scotch was so cold it tasted like Windsor (a very cheap Canadian whisky, used in mixed drinks). Everyone was disappointed.

May 25, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #33,224 of 149,304
With really good scotch I am more likely to adjust the room climate and drink it straight. If outdoors in the summer, I might go for a single ice cube with lesser scotches. I used the term slightly chilled earlier.

It sounds like I should invite both Sam and Rensek for scotch tasting with some audio thrown in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back