Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 23, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #33,181 of 148,400
I might consider it unless someone else feels more qualified.

Schiit will be selling them along with other products and this is Jason’s thread so I would think it would be his call.

May 23, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #33,182 of 148,400
So. Yeah. Slow down, zoom out, get the big picture, and maybe, just maybe, spend a bit more time thinking, rather than doing.

I don't know if it's really thinking, or maybe not actively thinking. One strategy I was advised to use in college was to read the exam questions front to back before you start answering any. You let your subconscious start working on the problems before actively trying to solve them.

Your hiking time and enforced "stepping-away" time should be providing the same effect.

May 23, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #33,183 of 148,400
May 23, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #33,185 of 148,400
@Jason Stoddard, have you thought about taking your lunches at the brewery? 45-60 minutes & 1 or 2 beers later, you might come back to work with some new ideas. I often work from home at night after the family has gone to bed. Some of my best ideas have happened 1-2 beers in. Just remember to jot them down. Evernote is always handy.

May 24, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #33,186 of 148,400
Wow, more surprises from you Pietro:

"If you're really in for something special, knead some cumin seed into the dough and top the pizza (apart from the tomato mud) with hot spicy chicken or bacon."

I'm learning Italian with a podcast (Coffee Break Italian, if you must know) and they have a running gag about how putting chicken on a pizza is a crime against humanity... now I don't know what to believe anymore.

Good going so far everyone... let stay on the subject of pizza, beer and cats and pay no attention to the off-topic ramblings of this "Stoddard" guy.
How about a cat on a pizza to keep the chickens away....?

giphy.gif

May 24, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #33,187 of 148,400
Great chapter @Jason Stoddard . So many good points. Enjoyable read.

Schiit doesn't need to do this! You already have superb products. Sales are going strong. Take time when changing a product. Make sure it is an improvement. Schiit doesn't need rapid product churn to stay profitable and in business. Don't let the industry and consumers push you to change too quickly. True product innovations don't come along that often.

Absolutely correct. Take your time, get it right and enjoy the process.

May 24, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #33,188 of 148,400
We need a dedicated "Schiit Coaster / Hybrid Tube Amp" thread in the DIY forum.

I'm no DIY'er but I would follow the Schiit out of that thread to see the crazy things you guys come up with.

Agreed. And a separate thread would allow Jason to put some distance between all the crazy customizations that are likely to be made by DIYers. He has already made it clear that he does not want to associated with any attempts to bump up the HT for example.

[my iron is warming up]

May 24, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #33,189 of 148,400
I can look at starting the thread this weekend, unless someone else wants to start it.

No matter what if Jason posts updates here I can always catch them and it could be he would want to post updates in another thread anyway. So far I have heard from a few people stating it should be a separate thread. I was hoping to wait till Jason gets them up for sale at least, that way it would be easier to post a link the first time someone asks "Where can I buy the PC board?"

Any other thoughts?

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #33,191 of 148,400
2018, Chapter 7
Velocity vs. Sanity

I do believe one of the keys is in forcing yourself to turn schiit off. Put the phone in Do Not Disturb mode—all the time. Turn off the automatic email checking—have your system check email only when you ask it to. Disable all notifications from all apps. Unsubscribe from all your threads—yes, even this one. Because each of those things is another interruption, another thing to get the adrenaline spiking, another thing to keep you on edge, another thing that makes the constant grind seem completely normal.

Even if you can’t put the brakes on, set the limits you can.

Couldn't agree more.
Switching the old phone off always works for me.

I work in an ad agency, so I can identify with Clients wanting to see things 'to see whether they like it'.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #33,192 of 148,400
I would suggest it has a separate thread for those building it out.

That way the questions/answers/troubleshooting posts don't get lost in the shuffle here, and it keeps the tech discussions together with those that want to see them. Personally I'm looking forward to it and will most likely build one, but there is already so much going on in this thread and that's such a specific thing it should have a thread that focuses on it.

Just my $0.02.

May 24, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #33,193 of 148,400
Both are very good points. Even with a separate thread for the more technical stuff, every now and then someone could probably post a photo of a build here without drawing a lot of wrath and said photo is not like an important piece of information you just have to have. This thread moves quickly and I have searched back to find Jason's mention about tubes and such and it can be tricky.

I have some things on the way that should allow me to mount a Coaster amp in a scotch bottle. The bottle of choice will not be easy, I should practice on a Chevas Regal bottle first before attempting single malt.

It is not about getting there, it is about the journey.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #33,194 of 148,400
2018, Chapter 7
Velocity vs. Sanity

Hey all, if you’re not into some navel-gazing with a side of engineering, perhaps best to skip this chapter. After all, a logical alternate title could be “3D Printing (and other Technologies), Part 2: Full Crazy Mode.”

Because here’s the problem: today’s R&D tech means engineers don’t get any rest at all.

---------

SNIP

----
You might be more into gardening, or competitive swimming, or hell, even just more work. I don’t know you. I can’t tell you what will work.

But I can say, for me, that current engineering technology lets me keep up a pace I could only imagine in the past—and that pace is so fast I need to make myself take breaks from it.

And, in finding ways to take breaks, I think we’ll end up with better products.

We’ll see how right I am.

Jason,

I am sure it has been said before; but we really appreciate the work you do. I mean that not only from a customer standpoint but for the industry. It is hard these days to avoid the always on world! You can almost never get away from that stimulation.

I received my first Schiit product yesterday; a Yggdrasil and TODAY and more than ever I REALLY want you and the rest of the team at Schiit to keep building things like it. (I know,... wait for it to warm up and break-in) I also want you to keep challenging the norm or the "standard" and to have that voice of sanity.

So YES please take care of yourself, your family, the team at Schiit. We all need you here for the long run.

Bob Fairbairn

PS Tell Mike he does know how to roll a DAC! (but do not let it go to his head!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back