Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 22, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #31,621 of 150,889
Apr 22, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #31,622 of 150,889
I think where he is coming from is that traditionally headphone hifi setups have emphasized compactness and convenience.

LPs but there nature are neither of those, but over time headphone setups have moved further from the desktop and portable world where they began.

i think this is pretty well said as well. Music players and phones changed some things. There have been high end headphones in studio use for ages but more and more attention is being placed on them now so that you do not upset your neighbors in an apartment or the person in the next cubicle at work.

Through the years I have kept many formats and may even consider reel to reel again one day. I have kept lots of records but keeping them in pristine condition was never easy and before i was married, various roommates would play records at times and no matter how careful I was, everyone would have to use the same level of caution.

Computer storage has changed and my son has around 30 terabytes of audio/video. I can get 35,000 albums in a whole lot less space. Try doing that 10 years ago and the storage alone would cost quite a bit.

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #31,623 of 150,889
... There have been high end headphones in studio use for ages ...
Maybe for mixing and mastering, but a very common studio headphone from the ages was the Beyerdynamic DT-100, and I can guarantee they are not high end, :beyersmile:

I have a pair, purely for the historical fugliness, though I do listen to them every now and again, good isolation and comfort.
I got mine for < $100 as new, barely used.
Beyerdynamic description (they are still current)
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/dt-100.html

beyerdynamic-dt-100-pink-floyd-waters-gilmour.jpg

Partridge
Partridge1_400x400.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #31,624 of 150,889
I was thinking more of Sennheiser and Sony and mixing and mastering as you said. Quite often high impedance. Most every company makes lower end product, some of the higher number Beyers can be quite good.

I finally saw Ready Player One with a group tonight. Lots of 80’s music and nostalgia but not nearly the geekiness of the book. Entertaining though.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #31,625 of 150,889
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #31,626 of 150,889
I've posted this pic before but seems appropriate. Yes, I did purchase them in 1976 if you look close, most importantly Knob Creek 120 does make them sound better!
IMG_20171121_175116644~2.jpg
IMG_20171121_175451203~2.jpg

Maybe for mixing and mastering, but a very common studio headphone from the ages was the Beyerdynamic DT-100, and I can guarantee they are not high end, :beyersmile:

I have a pair, purely for the historical fugliness, though I do listen to them every now and again, good isolation and comfort.
I got mine for < $100 as new, barely used.
Beyerdynamic description (they are still current)
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/dt-100.html

beyerdynamic-dt-100-pink-floyd-waters-gilmour.jpg

Partridge
Partridge1_400x400.jpg

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #31,627 of 150,889
This would be way, way off topic but I also enjoy several British authors, China Mieville, Nick Harkaway, et alia. They influenced my steampunk period in amplifiers.
Ooh, Mieville’s King Rat - awesome!

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #31,628 of 150,889
Uh... can you explain this?
I think you're right about all formats and media having a place.
I am a digital guy only, more into 2 channel than head phones.
The files I keep are all flac, no doubles and no other than one small jpg-file album cover for each album.
Due to OCD everything is meticulously ordered, I know exactly what I have and where it is.
Not bad with over 5000 albums

Pietro, I'd say that's an impressively large music collection you have there, by any reasonable standard :wink:

On the vinyl world as compared/related to the headphone world:

My observations seem to indicate that at present only a relatively small minority of headphone/personal audio enthusiasts have a turntable and play vinyl.

It's known that interest in vinyl has rapidly grown over the last ten years among younger people (male and female), and the trend seems to be continuing. It also seems evident that the portion of young people who do become interested in higher-fidelity music playback mostly matriculate up via headphones and IEM's --right?

I'm thinking that through time there will be more co-mingling between the headphone and the vinyl crowds, and therefore imagine it likely vinyl playback via headphone and/or 'desktop' systems (small monitor loudspeakers) will expand going forward.

Time will tell...

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #31,630 of 150,889
Ok 1952 Vincent Black Lightning is very good too. There is an Americanized version I have been told about an Indian motorcycle but I doubt I will search for it. Thompson can play guitar! Thanks for mentioning him folks.I also heard a live version of A Tear Stained Letter, I knew that song a bit and Thompson was on a tribute album to Leonard Cohen, I could remember that a bit.

For those enjoying Richard Thompson, you might also enjoy Peter Himmelman. I like From Strength To Strength, personally, but he's got lots of records out.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #31,631 of 150,889
I've posted this pic before but seems appropriate. Yes, I did purchase them in 1976 if you look close, most importantly Knob Creek 120 does make them sound better!
My box newer (and cheaper) with the DT-10x variants. I was thinking Russian Standard would be a more efficient sound enhancer, as the price is better suited to the phones..
upload_2018-4-23_14-30-6.png

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #31,632 of 150,889
For those enjoying Richard Thompson, you might also enjoy Peter Himmelman. I like From Strength To Strength, personally, but he's got lots of records out.

I will have to check out Himmelman as well.

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #31,633 of 150,889
Ooh, Mieville’s King Rat - awesome!

I will have to read King Rat, I have read Embassytown, The City and the City, Perdido Street Station etc. Mieville rarely writes a book that does not win a major award. Another writer like that is Michael Chabon, American but quite gifted. Pulitzer, Hugo, Nebula, and Locus awards to name a few.

Nick Harkaway is the son of John LeCarre, both of them use pen names. Angelmaker is one of my favorite books. On the really really heavy side, I have read Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, and Infinite Jest but those are not books any of my book clubs will touch due to length and complexity.

Anyway I have used vinyl off and on for the large part of my life, I sold Dynaco equipment, Pioneer RT707 and Dokorder dubbing deck, (spelling?) reel to reels, and other things but always hung on to a turntable and my records. I ended up buying lots of vinyl at auctions just to sort through them and keep some of the better condition records.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #31,635 of 150,889
Undoubtedly you are feeling great! How is Constanza?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back