Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 21, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #31,593 of 149,853

Ok thanks Jimmers, I skimmed it, that looks like fun and I may have to build one sometime. By the end of the day today I may well have something similar put together only with dual pots, a large rechargeable battery pack, and a quarter inch trs jack and parts laying around my shop. Possibly similar in size though, I only have so much room with which to work on my build. I will put together something similar to a Grado RA1 amp, it uses the fewest parts and I can run it off of a couple 9 volt batteries. Unfortunately my stock of single gang pots is diminishing so for now it will have to be a dual gang Alps.

Finally a weekend in the 60's so today shall be my first paella of the season with a nice bottle of Rioja, I have already replaced the solar lights around my fire pit and have plenty of fire wood stored from last year. Once again life is good.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #31,595 of 149,853
Thanks RCB and I am nearly done with my portable amp build, it is just solid state but should get me by tonight. IMG_2621 (1).JPG I will output from a PONO player or similar player depending on the music I want to use. I could not locate Shoot out the Lights in a quality lossless format yet but I may get that going before it is time to cook. Not much time to mount VU meters but they would be a nice touch. They would also allow me to see the controls easily at night.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #31,596 of 149,853
Wine is very similar to audio gear. I both love them. Highly depending on taste, knowledge and the size of your wallet. As with audio gear don't we've a good insight of the ingredients that go into the wine. Funny is that nowadays the 'quality' of wines is very consistent over the different harvest years. It used to be that this year the wine is good but the year before was awful. I think now it is a work of a chemist instead of a farmer. For me Portugal produces the best wines that I know: great taste, affordable and relative small productions. Some favorite wineries: Herdade dos Grous (10€-30€ a bottle), Quinta Da Alorna(4€-8€ a bottle) and Pêra-Grave: Quinta de São José de Peramanca(10€-20€ a bottle). Especially Alorna white and red are 3.99€ and delicious, try them out when you've the chance. Other thing I like about Alorna is that the price policy/strategy is very much the same as the one of Schiit Audio :)
I see you go for south of the Tejo wines (nothing wrong with that!), but let me plug the flinty Douro reds I keep going back to: Quinta dos Frades, Meandro do Vale Meão, Carm Reserva, Crasto Superior, Vallado Touriga Nacional, all below 25 Eur. (I'm really bad tracking my wine favorites, too busy enjoying and chatting with the dinner company to remember to write down specifics, so I had to go to the site of a favorite Lisbon wine store to jog my memory).

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #31,597 of 149,853
That should work for me since I have the Massdrop 650's and Alpha Primes that are probably more like 45 ohm. I rarely listen to amps at full volume but it bugs me when they are cranked all the way and I am left hoping for a bit more range. The Valhalla 2 I have is probably similar, I have plenty of amps but I want one dedicated to outside use so I am not pulling others out of their locations.
FWIW, my new Lyr 3 with the optional Tung-Sol tube gives me plenty of power in low gain into Ether C Flow (23 Ohm). I'm totally taken by this little amp!

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #31,598 of 149,853
Cool, I did not need another Dac or I may have considered the Lyr 3. I will certainly try different tubes, I am starting to acquire a decent selection and Tung Sol is an excellent brand.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #31,599 of 149,853
I will be getting a Lyr 2 for outdoor use but I want something rugged as well so I will build a solid state amp in either a cigar box or aluminum case. I like choices and I want something with dual volume controls and I have some very nice Alps pots to use up.
Interesting coincidence. Putting some tubes away.
upload_2018-4-21_12-43-16.png

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #31,600 of 149,853
Very nice, now the ones I have do not have the color red in the "O" for Cohiba since they are from Cuba. I had a friend just visit Cuba for a few days and I explained three or four times what Cohiba Esplendidos were, she came back with Monte Cristo number 4's for me lol. I sent a couple to the gentleman who runs Zynsonix since he had not tried Cuban cigars before. He was kind enough to send me some very good wire that will go into my headphone cable test setup.

If anyone has some extra tubes they really like in the Lyr 2 you can private message me.IMG_2623.JPGI have not even started the fire for paella yet and Woodstock is already anxious to join in.IMG_2627.JPG

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #31,601 of 149,853
FABE907E-EEA6-4BEC-97FC-8D0E496341CF.jpeg I

I think Woodstock might be a distant cousin of Tinker...

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #31,602 of 149,853
Quite possibly, he is a Cairn terrier mix. Great watchdog.

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #31,603 of 149,853
7BDC24C1-2EE1-4E4D-88ED-3FAB1CDCF943.jpeg

Record Store Day here, not that I need an excuse to visit my local shop. Mrs F and I got all the ones we wanted. More music to feed our Schiity system!

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #31,604 of 149,853
Quite possibly, he is a Cairn terrier mix. Great watchdog.

Ours is of the breed Scruffy Little Brown Dog. She has some terrier in her, probably.

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #31,605 of 149,853
IMG_2288.JPG IMG_1863.JPG A better photo. I have a cat that weighs slightly more than Woodstock. In the first photo Valentine is laying across the top of a Klipsch subwoofer, I think he is pretending to be a doily. We put him on a six month diet once, I think he lost an ounce. He goes door to door in the neighborhood acting famished most likely. He can stand on his hind legs and rest his chin and both front paws on a dining room table.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back