Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 19, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #31,561 of 151,404
So I had a Fulla 2 repaired under warranty after admittedly knocking it off my desktop table and having the volume pot come off. They were nice enough to repair it for free under warranty which I am super appreciative for but when I received it back, there is significant intermittent static noise that is eliminated by sometimes tapping on the volume pot or adjusting the volume to certain locations. Very frustrating experience. I've sent off three or so forms over the last month or so through the "need help"? section on the Schiit website detailing this but have not heard a response back. Not sure if they're not getting my emails or don't want to spend any more money on my issue since I was at fault but a response back would be nice.

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #31,562 of 151,404
Did the volume knob or pot come off?

Personally I would unplug the unit and shake it fairly hard, there may be a bit of debris in the pot.

If the scratchiness occurs at the same setting each time I would suspect damage they might have missed.

My first hunch is probably more accurate, since they most likely would have tested the unit after replacing the knob or pot.

i doubt there is a poor solder joint since the folks at Schiit are professionals.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #31,563 of 151,404
Another vote here for “Rumor & Sigh” and “Shoot out the lights”.
I’ve seen him live a few times, both solo, and with his band, and he always puts on a riveting show. Vincent Black Lightning brings the house down.
Also check out his first album with Linda, “I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight”. It’s a classic.

My wife surprised me with Richard Thompson tickets a few years ago. It was the same venue as my very first concert in 1975 (Bee Bop DeLuxe opened for Thin Lizzy). Thompson performed solo and played acoustic guitar only. I've never been more in awe at a concert. Acoustic Classics would give you an idea of the music, but not his banter with the audience.

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #31,564 of 151,404
His banter is excellent, and the audiences are pretty witty too. I saw RT at The Free Trade Hall in Manchester here in England, and towards the end of his solo acoustic concert he strapped on a Strat, which prompted some wag to yell “Judas!”.

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #31,565 of 151,404
I am not aware of that album but I will check it out.
I am always curious what folks listen to when they are testing amps, dacs, or headphones and I have some personal favorites. (Many of them engineered by Alan Parsons.) There are also some Chesky recordings that I go to over and over as I make sure everything in my system is working as it should be.

Anyone want to list personal favorites or should we get back on track?

Here are a couple I use when demoing gear and for enjoyment, too:

Levin Brothers – Levin Brothers: Tony Levin and brother Pete recreate the feeling of “cool jazz” they heard growing up in the '50s.

SMV – Thunder: Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten play a wide range of styles.

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #31,566 of 151,404
I am not sure if the soundtrack was ever done but several songs in the movie The Big Lebowski are quite good for testing and general listening. ( I know all of the dialog in this movie as well as most songs.)

Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles by Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band

The Man in Me.... Bob Dylan

Hotel California by The Gypsy Kings

Dead Flowers by Townes Van Zandt

I am off to a meeting but I will leave you with a line from a book to which I am listening entitled NOIR........"She had the kind of legs that kept her butt from sitting on the top of her shoes."

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #31,567 of 151,404
Easily done! Quite sublime...thanks @Ableza!

Last album by the pair. Their marriage was falling apart at the time and it could be why the tunes are so great. Been listening to RT since the days of Sandy Denny and Fairport Convention. 60’s British folk rock which was based on earlier British style folk songs. A surprisingly influential group in the era of hard/acid rock. Check out Ian Mathews solo work for another take on their sound. They were in constant rotation in my college days of 68-72. I guess I just dated myself!

Enjoy

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #31,568 of 151,404
So I had a Fulla 2 repaired under warranty after admittedly knocking it off my desktop table and having the volume pot come off. They were nice enough to repair it for free under warranty which I am super appreciative for but when I received it back, there is significant intermittent static noise that is eliminated by sometimes tapping on the volume pot or adjusting the volume to certain locations. Very frustrating experience. I've sent off three or so forms over the last month or so through the "need help"? section on the Schiit website detailing this but have not heard a response back. Not sure if they're not getting my emails or don't want to spend any more money on my issue since I was at fault but a response back would be nice.

If they replaced the pot it could be a cold solder joint.

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #31,569 of 151,404
I happily use LYR2 with 300ohm Senn HD650 and 13ohm MrSpeakers Aeon Open flow (both balanced) ... between 9-10 o'clock on Lo-Gain, depending on recording. Mjolnir2 is similar setting, but better overall SQ.
Identical results for me. Lyr 2 feeding HD650 on Lo Gain.

Apr 19, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #31,571 of 151,404
Did the volume knob or pot come off?

Personally I would unplug the unit and shake it fairly hard, there may be a bit of debris in the pot.

If the scratchiness occurs at the same setting each time I would suspect damage they might have missed.

My first hunch is probably more accurate, since they most likely would have tested the unit after replacing the knob or pot.

i doubt there is a poor solder joint since the folks at Schiit are professionals.

Hm actually the volume knob is what came off but when the tech rep asked me to take a picture of the inside of the unit he said there looked like significant damage to the pot.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #31,572 of 151,404
Hm actually the volume knob is what came off but when the tech rep asked me to take a picture of the inside of the unit he said there looked like significant damage to the pot.

That may be a sealed pot, if you can wiggle the pot up and down and get a scratching then the poor solder or broken etch may be the culprit.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #31,573 of 151,404
Last album by the pair. Their marriage was falling apart at the time and it could be why the tunes are so great. Been listening to RT since the days of Sandy Denny and Fairport Convention. 60’s British folk rock which was based on earlier British style folk songs. A surprisingly influential group in the era of hard/acid rock. Check out Ian Mathews solo work for another take on their sound. They were in constant rotation in my college days of 68-72. I guess I just dated myself!

Enjoy
We are of a similar age, I am still working to insure some of my employees still have a job for a while, and if I were home I would just be building amps anyway and traveling and spending money.

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #31,574 of 151,404
Apr 20, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #31,575 of 151,404
lunch.jpg brat prep.jpg This is some of my prep work for the bratwurst we are cooking at work today. Naturally they will be served with peppers and onions.

I am also in the process of acquiring a LYR 2 for use outdoors at my place, I like it when a plan comes together.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back