Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 19, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #31,546 of 150,609
After listening to a bit of Fairport, check out Richard Thompson. (He was their lead guitarist. I always thought it was odd that music magazines in the late 60s rated him as the "best guitarist" -- over Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, etc. -- while he was in a folk-rock band. Then I learned why........)
He had always been into quality recording and production. His most accessible album is "Rumor and Sigh" which was available on DVD-Audio (another dead format). Check out "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" -- a beautiful love song to a motorcycle!
This is very interesting. Never heard of Richard Thompson until now...thank you @Seret!
I learn so much on this thread.
How about some Richard Thompson...

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #31,547 of 150,609
It is nice to be able to talk about things in this thread that are a bit off topic, it does not happen much in other threads I have found on here.

I am searching around for some Schiit equipment that I can use outside with a 12 volt supply and inverter and I will figure out something yet. I know I want a readily accessible pre-amp out to go to some powered Martin Logan speakers (100 watts which is plenty for my purposes.) I can easily use a laptop to store music and provide an output to a DAC. I prefer tubes so maybe a used Lyr 2? I have some small dacs so that is not much of a problem.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #31,549 of 150,609
I will have to check that out as well.

Who has a Lyr 2 and are you happy with volume levels with various headphones, low and high impedance headphones?

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #31,550 of 150,609
"Shoot Out The Lights" by Richard and Linda Thompson is required listening.

It sounds quite good on my office stereo, I will have to check it out on my home system.

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #31,552 of 150,609
"Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks" featuring the "Lickettes", anybody?
"Striking it Rich" and "Where's the Money?" albums?
Fun tunes and music and I remember these as excellent recordings for demoing on vinyl, got the CD's somewhere, need to dig them out.

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #31,553 of 150,609
I know the name but not the music. As far as fun music, a group of college friends from Austin wrote and are writing some hilarious things. A local professor got my wife to start listening to them...

The Austin Lounge Lizards, songs like Old Blevins, Jesus loves me but he can't stand you, and The Shallow End of the Gene Pool

A song The Big Rio Grande River is packed with redundancy. Lines like "up high on table mesa, I felt her nearness close to me."

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #31,554 of 150,609
I will have to check that out as well.

Who has a Lyr 2 and are you happy with volume levels with various headphones, low and high impedance headphones?

I happily use LYR2 with 300ohm Senn HD650 and 13ohm MrSpeakers Aeon Open flow (both balanced) ... between 9-10 o'clock on Lo-Gain, depending on recording. Mjolnir2 is similar setting, but better overall SQ.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #31,555 of 150,609
Another vote here for “Rumor & Sigh” and “Shoot out the lights”.
I’ve seen him live a few times, both solo, and with his band, and he always puts on a riveting show. Vincent Black Lightning brings the house down.
Also check out his first album with Linda, “I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight”. It’s a classic.

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #31,556 of 150,609
I happily use LYR2 with 300ohm Senn HD650 and 13ohm MrSpeakers Aeon Open flow (both balanced) ... between 9-10 o'clock on Lo-Gain, depending on recording. Mjolnir2 is similar.

That should work for me since I have the Massdrop 650's and Alpha Primes that are probably more like 45 ohm. I rarely listen to amps at full volume but it bugs me when they are cranked all the way and I am left hoping for a bit more range. The Valhalla 2 I have is probably similar, I have plenty of amps but I want one dedicated to outside use so I am not pulling others out of their locations.

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #31,557 of 150,609
Another vote here for “Rumor & Sigh” and “Shoot out the lights”.
I’ve seen him live a few times, both solo, and with his band, and he always puts on a riveting show. Vincent Black Lightning brings the house down.
Also check out his first album with Linda, “I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight”. It’s a classic.

This would be way, way off topic but I also enjoy several British authors, China Mieville, Nick Harkaway, et alia. They influenced my steampunk period in amplifiers. IMG_2239.JPG

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #31,558 of 150,609
That should work for me since I have the Massdrop 650's and Alpha Primes that are probably more like 45 ohm. I rarely listen to amps at full volume but it bugs me when they are cranked all the way and I am left hoping for a bit more range. The Valhalla 2 I have is probably similar, I have plenty of amps but I want one dedicated to outside use so I am not pulling others out of their locations.

You will not have to crank up either amp all the way ... nowhere near, IME.

Slight correction to my earlier posting ... the headphones both have Forza XLR terminated cables and I use a Forza XLR>SE converter cable on the LYR2 to save me switching cables and to keep the quality.

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #31,559 of 150,609
You were safe, Lyr 2 does not have a balanced output so I knew what you meant. Now if you had said you were running balanced amp out to a TRS connection I might have said something.:smile_phones:

I use four pin mini xlrs and pigtails to quickly change back and forth between amps as I need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back