Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 13, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #31,307 of 150,951
I did some work for a company just outside of Knoxville that does very large fireworks displays all over the country. I think they are down in the hills just in case of explosion, less bunkers to build. I took the photo of sunset in the smokies from a fire tower, it was not a good night to leave your brass monkey outside.

I knew someone who did the landscaping at Evins Mill so my wife and I got to stay there at a remarkable rate. A rustic place that served five course meals. Dry county, I had to get used to corking charges in the restaurant. (You basically pay them to open your wine with dinner.)
You need to come to the next HP meet (or, were you there this spring?). At @kilkil's house on Puckett Point Road. Overlooks Center Hill Lake...delightful place/view. Just north of Evins Mill.

Apr 13, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #31,309 of 150,951
@OldRoadToad

Here's your solution to VU meters!

eOApfyBh.jpg

Meters provided by my friend @Paladin79 who helped me wire them up to the little circuit board and made me up some RCA splitters so I could hook them up to the pre-amp out of my Jot. They are in a little cardboard box for now, I'll be making a wood box for them soon. Put the switch in the front so @Jason Stoddard wouldn't press charges :wink:

Hey Frank,

That is nice. You and Paladin inspired me. I put together an ebay BOM.
2P2T toggle switch
pair of meters with circuit board
IEC 120 VAC socket with RFI filter
pair of panel mount RCA jacks
6 ft IEC power cord
12V lamp (red, of course) for power on indicator
screw on rubber feet
AGC fuse holder and 1A fuse

and either a 203x144x68 mm black anodized enclosure or a 153x105x55 - I have to layout the parts in autocad.

Total BOM cost is either slightly less of slightly more than $50 depending on the enclosure size. Some of the stuff will take a month to get here, but I'll post a picture.

Apr 13, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #31,311 of 150,951
Update on the Pietro Bike Project:
Dr. Tinin has ordered his new bike. He takes delivery on Monday or Tuesday.
Pietro's mobility has been enabled, thanks to you folks.
Incoming pictures are anticipated!

Apr 13, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #31,312 of 150,951
No worries -- we're used to it!

BTW, I'm in Colorado, now.

A great place to be. My daughter went to college in Glenwood Springs so I was out there several times. Doc Holliday is buried there.

Apr 13, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #31,313 of 150,951
You need to come to the next HP meet (or, were you there this spring?). At @kilkil's house on Puckett Point Road. Overlooks Center Hill Lake...delightful place/view. Just north of Evins Mill.

I was not there in the spring, being close to Evins Mill is a good thing, I could leave my wife there, she would be happy, and I could go on to the meet lol. Of course considering the food at the mill, she might need to go on a sudden exercise program when I got around to picking her back up.

Apr 13, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #31,314 of 150,951
Hey Frank,

That is nice. You and Paladin inspired me. I put together an ebay BOM.
2P2T toggle switch
pair of meters with circuit board
IEC 120 VAC socket with RFI filter
pair of panel mount RCA jacks
6 ft IEC power cord
12V lamp (red, of course) for power on indicator
screw on rubber feet
AGC fuse holder and 1A fuse

and either a 203x144x68 mm black anodized enclosure or a 153x105x55 - I have to layout the parts in autocad.

Total BOM cost is either slightly less of slightly more than $50 depending on the enclosure size. Some of the stuff will take a month to get here, but I'll post a picture.

I need to check out those parts when I get a chance. My next project will be building a solid state amp into a Cohiba cigar box, robusto I think, and I may include VU meters and a few other bits of bling. I have boxes from Cohiba Esplendidos but they are not tall enough to support the electrolytics.

Nice picture of Nipper on the Schiit stack in another frame up above.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #31,315 of 150,951
I was not there in the spring, being close to Evins Mill is a good thing, I could leave my wife there, she would be happy, and I could go on to the meet lol. Of course considering the food at the mill, she might need to go on a sudden exercise program when I got around to picking her back up.
LOL, yeah I saw the Evins Mill site pictures and menu...looks great.
I didn't find any pics of the view from Tom's house, but here is the latest meet link...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-city-meet-nashville-spring-2018-march-3-impressions.873628/

Apr 13, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #31,316 of 150,951
LOL, yeah I saw the Evins Mill site pictures and menu...looks great.
I didn't find any pics of the view from Tom's house, but here is the latest meet link...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-city-meet-nashville-spring-2018-march-3-impressions.873628/

I had a chance to go down with Buke9 but for a while there I was working every weekend then and missed out. My schedule gets a little crazy sometimes and I should relax more but such is life.

Evin's Mill serves most anything for breakfast you have ever seen for breakfast. They pack you a box lunch to go hiking, then you get a five course meal later in the day. If you are ever hungry at any time, (which is nearly impossible) one of the chefs will fix you something. I want to say the rates were $250 a night per person but that was a few years ago and my memory gets foggy, but that included the meals.

it is rustic, but haute cuisine rustic. I believe Al Gore junior and senior had stayed there. They can now serve wine so county laws must have changed since I was there. Then it was beer only and bring your own wine. Also drive the speed limit, and I mean the posted speed limit. I never saw so many people doing 55 in my life, and for good reason. If you called for reservations they warned us yankees to watch out. They probably considered anyone north of Louisville yankees. ( I spent some of my college years in Louisville so I learned how to speak some of the language.)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #31,317 of 150,951
Wiki "Cleveland Metroparks" for info. Before it was a national joke, it was one (of many) cities known as The Forest City.
Emerald Necklace for the win, IIRC. I may have had brunch at that place pictured above!

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #31,318 of 150,951
I am hoping this does not follow every other topic here and devolve into an argument about haggis.

Please, Dear Odin, anything but haggis.

<running for cover>
Icelandic rotted shark for the win
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hákarl

Update on the Pietro Bike Project:
Dr. Tinin has ordered his new bike. He takes delivery on Monday or Tuesday.
Pietro's mobility has been enabled, thanks to you folks.
Incoming pictures are anticipated!
First pics have come in..............:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Pietro
giphy.gif

and Cozzi
kittyfarthing.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back