Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 11, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #30,001 of 151,580
The link provided earlier, (and again below) is for tin plated copper wire. I found a bunch of manufacturers make it for various purposes. Just wondering how useful this stuff would actually be for audio gear.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_hookup_duelund.html

"Conventional" wisdom would lead one to believe that the tinned copper wires would sound inferior to the more "modern" types, but it's just not true. I've replaced all of my interconnects with either the Duelund DCA's, or the Belden 8402's. They are very inexpensive, but they sound better, and have now replaced interconnects in my system that cost much more. I don't why the tinned copper sounds so nice, but I like it. Speaker cables will be next, and that will be the Duelund DCA 12 gauge.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #30,002 of 151,580
Mmm..
No both cable and other connector side are brand new.
If the cable is truly brand new, wouldn't it be under warranty? I don't see warranty information about their cables, but their headphones seem to have 1 year warranty (plus an additional year if you register it).

BTW, as AudioQuest is a big name brand, I find them to be especially shameless about pushing high priced cables of questionable value. Love the "reviews" on Amazon, e.g. for their $850 1m HDMI cable:
https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-feet-Braided-Cable/product-reviews/B003CT08E4/

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #30,003 of 151,580
#30,000 .....holy Schiit, forgot what was going to say!

:trophy::trophy::trophy: And, we both just passed 500+! (In my case helped along by an overabundance of interest in my avatar.)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #30,004 of 151,580
"Conventional" wisdom would lead one to believe that the tinned copper wires would sound inferior to the more "modern" types, but it's just not true. I've replaced all of my interconnects with either the Duelund DCA's, or the Belden 8402's. They are very inexpensive, but they sound better, and have now replaced interconnects in my system that cost much more. I don't why the tinned copper sounds so nice, but I like it. Speaker cables will be next, and that will be the Duelund DCA 12 gauge.

Can I make the correlation that you believe cables influence the sound profile? You enjoy the sound of tinned cables compared to your previous set? I'd buy that explanation and have no knowledge or opinion on whether cables do or don't make a difference to sound profile.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #30,005 of 151,580
Thanks, but my electrical knowledge is in its infancy. I have a question below.

Wouldn't power loss in the wire mean the amp has to work harder, or said power loss would cause reduced detail in the signal to come through? If the current/signal pushed into the cable contains information the speaker needs to reproduce sound, wouldn't heat mean a loss of information?
Amplifier work harder for the same volume level = yes. This means there is any change to the signal or the sound (assuming the amplifier is not clipping) = no.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #30,006 of 151,580
Can I make the correlation that you believe cables influence the sound profile? You enjoy the sound of tinned cables compared to your previous set? I'd buy that explanation and have no knowledge or opinion on whether cables do or don't make a difference to sound profile.

I absolutely do believe that different cables sound different, for better or worse.
But I also believe that there is some fiscal abuse by some. I don't mind someone making an honest living, but I will try my best not to support someone who is trying to make a "killing" instead of a living.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #30,007 of 151,580
The link provided earlier, (and again below) is for tin plated copper wire. I found a bunch of manufacturers make it for various purposes. Just wondering how useful this stuff would actually be for audio gear.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_hookup_duelund.html
Wire is wire. Generally plated copper hookup wire, whether it is plated with tin or with silver, is done to improve temperature rating of the wire. It has no impact on audio. It is used in industrial applications.

Mar 11, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #30,011 of 151,580
"Tinning" is an old term from back in the days when the sweet aroma of solder contained copious amounts of lead and tin. But the modern lead-free alloys used in today's solder have much less tin, and in many cases at this point a better term for coating the tip of a stranded wire might be "silvering".
Actually tin lead solder typically had 60% tin, lead free solders typically have >95% tin

Mar 11, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #30,014 of 151,580
Wire is wire. Generally plated copper hookup wire, whether it is plated with tin or with silver, is done to improve temperature rating of the wire. It has no impact on audio. It is used in industrial applications.

If you will indulge me good sir, I would like to relate to you a story.

When I set up my second system in my bedroom about 12 years ago, I subscribed to the idea that wire is wire and purchased some Phillips 14 gauge speaker wire that was on clearance. I connected it up and thought that it sounded terrible. It really set my teeth on edge.

I sighed and bought some Audioquest cable. It sounded much better and I rolled up the Phillips and put it in my bedroom closet.

About 6 months later, my wife made me clean my closet, and when I pulled the Phillips cable out, the copper of the cable had turned green under the PVC jacket!

I believe that the insulation had outgassed chlorine, which had corroded the cable inside its jacket. I believe the effect was audible 6 months before it became visible.

Thank you for hearing me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back