Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 22, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #28,579 of 151,620
is anyone having problems with their Vidars making a slight buzz and hum... i am and Im pretty sure it isn't a ground loop.
Mine are completely quiet for what I would consider normal use. I use them everyday. I do run them balanced. And I assume you mean through your speakers. If I put my ear on the amp I can hear the transformer. One is almost dead quiet, one a little more noticeable. If I put my ear on the speaker the same thing. 3 or 4 inches away the only reason I know it's there is my ear was was right up to it and I'm listening for it. 8-12 inches away nothing at all. This is in a quite room with no extraneous noise.

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #28,581 of 151,620
That it wildly efficient. 97dB/W means you only need a few watts to driver your speakers. I only ready Electricity for Dummies but doesn't 12 ohm impedance mean less current is needed for the same power as compared to a 4 ohm speaker? Meaning it should run colder than with the average speaker.

My Klipsch towers are 97.5db efficient, they get ridiculously loud, and I have them Bi-amped with a 150Wpc Sony receiver.

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #28,583 of 151,620
is anyone having problems with their Vidars making a slight buzz and hum... i am and Im pretty sure it isn't a ground loop.
yes, I returned one for the same reason but the replacemente is showing the same issue (230v)

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #28,585 of 151,620

Yes, slightly. The amp physically hums from the transformer and, as it's on my desk 2 feet from left ear, I can hear that, just sometimes, but not if the PC is on and certainly not with any level of music. (Ok with this, BTW, transformers hum.....) But it also sometimes has a slight buzz, which can be stopped by tapping/pressing on the case. I need to check the screws are all tight because that seems like something is ever so slightly loose.

From the speakers if I put my ear up to the them I can hear an electrical hum. Think of the opening scene in Back to the Future, when Marty turns up the amps. It's exactly that sound but *very* quiet and not noticeable from a few feet away. Can't say if this is normal or not, but no concerns from me.

The other day I moved some stuff around and got a ground hum for my trouble. That was noticeable and went away once I plugged everything back into a board hanging off my UPS. So I have a ground issue somewhere if I'm not careful.

In all this I now am listening for PC noise too, that bleeds into the signal. I can hear it sadly (again with my ear to the speaker) and you can hear the hard disk activity if you listen closely enough with your ear on the tweeter.
I now need an Eitr to remove that :)

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #28,586 of 151,620
Is this thread going batty...?
I guess it beats everyone being catty......

Bats, cats, what the difference? It's just more of the same noise. I'm a dog lover but I don't want to see dogs plastered all over the thread either. Buy hey, as I said a long time ago, I don't expect it to change. I have resigned myself to expect the terrible signal to noise ratio.

I keep hoping Jason will announce a new product so we can talk about audio gear for a change.....

Jan 23, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #28,587 of 151,620
31611830c1674a5da9e9af243829cc24--beagle-puppies-beagles.jpg

Jan 23, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #28,589 of 151,620
LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back