1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. JohnnyCanuck
    My Vidar reaches 38 C under normal (fairly loud) listening here with a room temp of 19 C. Playing heavy rock at loud levels I've seen the Vidar's temperature as high as 40.7 C. I don't consider any of these temperatures to be overly warm.

JC

2. yonson
    I've had my Vidar at 71 - 72° C in 4 ohm mono on a few occasions when really cranking them up, still have yet to send them into thermal shutdown... During normal listening they are in the 45 range...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  3. Timster
    Thanks ... with all respect of course, I think you need to try harder :ksc75smile:

Hmmm ... I must have a different definition of "loud" :) .... I can easily get the Vidar running over 50 degrees C, and have hit thermal cutoff limits at around 60 degrees (although that was unusually loud!!) and I wouldn't normally do that!

4. Timster
    Thanks. So running biased to quality (Class A?) means that they are operating in class A at idle and for lower outputs, and with Class A always "on" the heat is a natural result of that.??

I'll have go back through the "Schiit Happened" story to see what I can glean.

5. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    You married to a polar bear?
    I wouldn't be able to live at those low temperatures.

6. JohnnyCanuck
    It's a function of the load. I'm driving Zu Essence speakers; 12 ohm impedance, 97 dB for 1 W input. They get loud, believe me.

JC

OldRoadToad likes this.
  7. yonson
    Haha, I keep mine at 17...

8. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    NOOOOHHHHH!!!!
    You must be burning carbs like crazy.
    1Kg of spaghetti a day minimum.
    Brrrrrrr... my iniminimanimo's just retracted from existence.

RCBinTN and trellus like this.
  9. Rowethren
    Haha, I have my window open and my room frequently drops down to 14-16, it is lovely!

RCBinTN likes this.
  10. AudioBear
    That it wildly efficient. 97dB/W means you only need a few watts to driver your speakers. I only ready Electricity for Dummies but doesn't 12 ohm impedance mean less current is needed for the same power as compared to a 4 ohm speaker? Meaning it should run colder than with the average speaker.

11. KoshNaranek
    I have my thermostat set to 17 as well.

12. Timster
    Ahh, the 12 ohm would be a big part of the difference. My VAF DC-7s are nominally 4 ohm @ 93 dB/watt.
    Thanks again!

13. barondla
    Just saw the announcement on Audio Asylum that Schiit has become a sponsor.

14. Nicholas Seltzer
    is anyone having problems with their Vidars making a slight buzz and hum... i am and Im pretty sure it isn't a ground loop.

15. JohnnyCanuck
    No buzzing or humming from my Vidar.

JC

Nicholas Seltzer likes this.