Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 28, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #27,796 of 153,403
Wabbits are for hunting, not for chasing down holes. @KoshNaranek may be stockpiling NOS metal based mil spec 6SN7's ($3K for a matched set, a bargain I tell ya!), I've been enjoying tubeless listening for the past week+ and wondering if I'll drop them back in my Freya. And the New Year holds a new development. :sunglasses:

How I got my NOS RCAs is a mildly amusing story. One of my father's friends is a retired RCA naval radar engineer. He was moving into a condo this Thanksgiving and my father graciously volunteered me to help. I found a box of old tubes and other equipment on his basement that he was just going to throw out!

Dec 28, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #27,798 of 153,403
I would like to relay my horrible experience i had with Schiit. First off i was very leery about doing business with people
who do not have a phone number. I am old school and much prefer talking on the phone over email. i get it that they
are small but in an emergency a phone call is much appreciated over an email. Having said that i resisted doing business with Schiit for a long time
as a result of this policy. However i had a lot of friends who had good experiences and i decided to take the plunge. I initially ordered
a valhalla 2 and modi uber. within about a week i started having a issue which is similar to what others have posted on this forum so i know
i am not alone in this issue. my issue with the modi uber was that for long stretches of time my computer as well as 2 other machines i had would not see the modi from the usb port at all. it was as though it had disappeared. another forum user on the schiit modi 2 problems thread is dealing with this exact same thing and is also being totally ignored as well. with that in mind i shipped back the modi and upgraded to the bifrost mb. That order was temporarily lost by
fed ex in that it missed a scan and i was told incorrectly by a fed ex skip trace agent that my package was lost. going on what fed ex told me i relayed this to schiit. they assured me it was not lost and would arrive on time. it turns out it did arrive on time but schiit refused to talk
on the phone with me about this issue which left a bad taste in my mouth given the circumstances. the next day
the valhalla 2 started making a crackling noise and i had had enough. i shipped back everything for a refund. Schiit received the items
then after two days of testing they declared zero issues with both the modi and valhalla 2 and charged restocking fees for
all items. after only 2 days of testing! so much for the customer being always being right! this entire time i requested to discuss this
on the phone and was consistently rebuffed. I will never do business with schiit again and will encourage everyone i know to stay far
away from them. Horrible customer service, and attitude and a product that honestly really did malfunction for me and other people as well
and those issues were met with an elitist attitude and excuses.

A lot of us here have been Schiit customers for a while and know they aren't perfect, Jason says it all the time. The website is clear email is how their business model works. It's clear the products you can return during the trial period for a restocking fee, etc. They are a home grown company and I have always felt the more everyone cooperates with their business model the better prices for us all and that allows a small company more time devoted to developing new products.

It's worked well for many of us and sorry it didn't for you.

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #27,799 of 153,403
I'd answer the phone too if some guy gave me $100 a year!

Qj1lAYj.png
Right but if i give Schiit 1200$ in a week i can't get the same treatment....

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #27,800 of 153,403
They are very up-front that for assistance, you use email and not telephone to contact them. My experience has been very different, but then, I followed their directions.
I hear you i know it says that on their site but i was in a special situation and i asked several times for the human touch of
a phone call and it was flat out refused. I just felt like a call would have been them going the extra mile in my opinion.

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #27,801 of 153,403
Amazon is driving retail prices down. Did you mean Apple?
i try to support small business and made in america which was my reason for trying them. usually 9 out of 10 times this
gets you an extra layer of customer support but i did not get that in this case. conversely i have never used amazon ever out
of this philosophy. if there was a usa made camera company i would give them a try too.

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #27,802 of 153,403
They are very up-front that for assistance, you use email and not telephone to contact them. My experience has been very different, but then, I followed their directions.
i followed their directions as well but as i said before it was a unique situation and i would have preferred a phone call.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #27,803 of 153,403
If schiit takes a phone call from one dude with an honestly not that unique issue, then they also have to take them from every whacko out there who wants to ask about what type of fairy dust they sprinkle on their circuit boards or if they can have their particular amp dipped in the fountain of youth prior to shipping, etc.. That type of stuff is easily filtered out by email.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #27,804 of 153,403
If schiit takes a phone call from one dude with an honestly not that unique issue, then they also have to take them from every whacko out there who wants to ask about what type of fairy dust they sprinkle on their circuit boards or if they can have their particular amp dipped in the fountain of youth prior to shipping, etc.. That type of stuff is easily filtered out by email.

Everybody is a special snowflake in their own mind.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #27,805 of 153,403
Schiit has thought their policy through very carefully. It works for most people but clearly not for all. I have never had a problem with a Schitt product so I don't how I'd feel about it if I was relegated to e-mail only. I suspect I'd like it. I hate playing phone tag and I like the asynchronous nature of e-mail. It also makes things more matter of fact by taking most of the personalities out of transactions. Obviously one could be insulting and perverse in an e-mail but for me at least that is somehow easier to take than by getting unpleasantness from a live person on the phone. With e-mail there's always the delete button.

Jason has also made it fairly clear that there are some customers that aren't worth having. In fact, they are a liability. The OP may be one such example. He obviously got off on the wrong foot when the equipment didn't work as he thought it should. None of us likes that. But where the plot goes North or South is how you choose to deal with it. Schitt designs products that last and warrants them better than most. Repairs and returns are costly. The don't want to have to service products so they test everyone before it leaves Schitt. Not doubting that the OP had problems with the kit, but Schitt also knows it worked perfectly when it went out the door. Stuff happens in life so when the OP reported the gear didn't work right they probably waited until someone with really high electronic acumen had enough time to give it a look. For this the OP blames them for taking two day days. Two whole days! I suppose I would be upset if I were told that what didn't work in my house works in their house but that's what happened. Who knows why? From the tone of the post it appears the OP thinks they are lying to him. That's pretty revealing about his attitude because I suspect everyone here knows Schitt tries very hard not to misrepresent things. I suppose it could happen through miscommunication but now about what works or doesn't work.

It's really too bad that the OP isn't going to be able to enjoy the Schiit value proposition: great audio gear, well-built, at a price way below normal market. I even think it looks good but there's no point debating tastes. Problems arise in life, how you deal with them has a lot to do with your long term happiness. I do not mean this in an unkind or nasty way, but from the OP's posts, I suspect there are other things he is letting make him unhappy. As for Schitt, they are going to end up happier here by following their rules. For most of us when Schiit happens in life it's a good thing. Sadly not this time.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #27,806 of 153,403
i followed their directions as well but as i said before it was a unique situation and i would have preferred a phone call.

Please contact orders@schiit.com tomorrow and let them know I authorized a complete refund, including any shipping.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 28, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #27,807 of 153,403
I'm all about the sound. Schiit has their priorities right. For every item ORT won't buy, I'll buy one.

It's about the sound!
...and, here, I thought it wuz the perception that ruled supreme..........:L3000:

Let's face it, All those millions of Beats owners can't be wrong...............:ksc75smile:

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #27,808 of 153,403
With respect to email vs phone:

1. With the email/ticketing system, we have a complete record of everything we have been asked, and everything we have promised, from the get-go, which cuts down on any confusion. Phone stuff can turn into a "he-said, she-said" situation, which we'd like to avoid.
2. With email, we can also ask for photos, screen caps, or even video to help diagnose odd problems, and we can also send photos, diagrams, etc if necessary, and, again, we have a complete record of everything sent. We can't receive or send imagery, screen captures, or video over a phone.

I understand our model doesn't work for everyone, and for that, I apologize. For everyone it doesn't work for, I hope you find equipment from a manufacturer that perfectly suits your needs and thrills you to no end.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 28, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #27,809 of 153,403
Please contact orders@schiit.com tomorrow and let them know I authorized a complete refund, including any shipping.
Jason, thank you very much. i posted here hoping to get your attention and i really appreciate your response. Given that i payed overnight fed ex rates for both of my orders and the fact that i was hit hard on the restock fees for products that clearly were malfunctioning for me this will be a most
helpful relief. Assuming orders opens my email at all and they answer my email (i will screenshot your reply) this would certainly change
my opinion of this matter.

Thank you again for your time and response.

Dec 28, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #27,810 of 153,403
I'm all about the sound. Schiit has their priorities right. For every item ORT won't buy, I'll buy one.

It's about the sound!

`I agree that sound quality is important. I shall tell you all a truth my mother taught me and she said she can not recall who taught it to her but all such knowledge is not exclusive to one person and so is passed from head to heart for years on end.

Love is friend ship set to music.

So many over/misuse the word, "love". I love my family, my friends and even my pets but not a car or motor bike. But even so every thing in this world has a place in some one life and every life has a sound track that is continually being updated with new memories and the music associated with them. Memories are important for with out them we run the risk of dying alone, even in the company of family. No man dies alone who has a sound track filled with the memories of a life lived as well and true as possible.

I wonder if Jason and MIke migh fashion the plinth of the VOL from some nice tropical wood? Couple that with an acrylic platter and a tone arm of 100% Schiitonium®™ and I may fall for VOL. All though I must admit the name "Vol" conjurs up images of an episode of the original Star Trek.

"Vol hungers!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back