Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 28, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #27,781 of 154,468
To be fair, "valve" is a much more accurate description of how they operate in electronic circuits, controlling the flow of current.

"Tube" is just based on their appearance AFAIK.
See. I can learn new things every day on this thread. Thanks.
I still wonder if the $1,500 valves from 1950 sound better than new valves.
Not that I use tubes...err valves.
I'm just concerned about when the ORT should start selling off his inventory.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #27,782 of 154,468
There are reasons to have meters, on hi fi equipment, besides recording. Probably not power meters. Signal strength and multi path meters are very important for FM tuners. Oscilloscopes have made appearances on tuners. They are also used to set up turntable/cartridge combos. Have seen high-end car audio setups where an oscilloscope was used to set gain. Scope didn't stay in car, unless installer really screwed up.

A turntable with a Fozgometer built in would be nice to set azimuth. I would love a meter built in to my VTL tube amp to set bias. Wouldn't miss pulling the Fluke Meter out every 6 months and inserting probes into a hot tube amp.

But Schiit gives us the most for our money. All the above meter uses are special purpose, except the tuner, and add cost. Doubt Schiit is building a tuner. I'm fine with Schiit spending most of the money on the product's circuitry.

Sony put an anti-static dustcover on my ps-6750. Very good idea imo. Why everyone else doesn't do it blows me away but maybe a patent thing.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #27,783 of 154,468
I would like to relay my horrible experience i had with Schiit. First off i was very leery about doing business with people
who do not have a phone number. I am old school and much prefer talking on the phone over email. i get it that they
are small but in an emergency a phone call is much appreciated over an email. Having said that i resisted doing business with Schiit for a long time
as a result of this policy. However i had a lot of friends who had good experiences and i decided to take the plunge. I initially ordered
a valhalla 2 and modi uber. within about a week i started having a issue which is similar to what others have posted on this forum so i know
i am not alone in this issue. my issue with the modi uber was that for long stretches of time my computer as well as 2 other machines i had would not see the modi from the usb port at all. it was as though it had disappeared. another forum user on the schiit modi 2 problems thread is dealing with this exact same thing and is also being totally ignored as well. with that in mind i shipped back the modi and upgraded to the bifrost mb. That order was temporarily lost by
fed ex in that it missed a scan and i was told incorrectly by a fed ex skip trace agent that my package was lost. going on what fed ex told me i relayed this to schiit. they assured me it was not lost and would arrive on time. it turns out it did arrive on time but schiit refused to talk
on the phone with me about this issue which left a bad taste in my mouth given the circumstances. the next day
the valhalla 2 started making a crackling noise and i had had enough. i shipped back everything for a refund. Schiit received the items
then after two days of testing they declared zero issues with both the modi and valhalla 2 and charged restocking fees for
all items. after only 2 days of testing! so much for the customer being always being right! this entire time i requested to discuss this
on the phone and was consistently rebuffed. I will never do business with schiit again and will encourage everyone i know to stay far
away from them. Horrible customer service, and attitude and a product that honestly really did malfunction for me and other people as well
and those issues were met with an elitist attitude and excuses.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #27,784 of 154,468
Now that you have unnecessarily vented in public do you feel better? Have you contacted customer service via the proper channel? Have you requested an RMA if you think there is something wrong with your product? Oh, and as far as phone support, grow up and deal with the mechanisms the company has set up. Have you ever tried calling Sony for help?

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #27,785 of 154,468
My gosh! What is so special about a tube that makes it cost $1,500?
Please help me understand, @Ableza!
Thanks, RCB

I had one. Mine was $350 not $1500. Maybe it was a bad b65 but it wasn't microphonic. It has a lush midrange I will give it that but a less expensive 6sn7w was better in every other way.

Maybe it was the amp but I wasn't impressed. There is also a Sweedish military (33S30) 6sn7 and Telefunken 6sn7 that go for crazy money. I liked $50-100 badboy, pre CBS Hytron, and raytheon 6n7's from brentt jesse and Vintage tube services.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #27,786 of 154,468
I would like to relay my horrible experience i had with Schiit:
i had a lot of friends who had good experiences...
i was told incorrectly by a fed ex skip trace agent that my package was lost...
i relayed this to schiit. they assured me it was not lost and would arrive on time. it turns out it did arrive on time...
Schiit received the items then after two days of testing they declared zero issues with both the modi and valhalla 2...

I bet if you were nice they wouldn't have charged re-stocking fees...

My only experience with their customer service is asking about 5 or 6 random questions over the years and they were all responded to within a day or two.

If you want Amazon level customer service be prepared to pay Amazon level mark up prices.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #27,787 of 154,468
Good question. I'd love to hear them, but it's not gonna happen at that price. :)

Ditto! I still can't get over the price of phono cartridges I've seen of late. A nonissue for me as I'm cd only but geez!

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #27,788 of 154,468
Now that you have unnecessarily vented in public do you feel better? Have you contacted customer service via the proper channel? Have you requested an RMA if you think there is something wrong with your product? Oh, and as far as phone support, grow up and deal with the mechanisms the company has set up. Have you ever tried calling Sony for help?

First off my experience saves others from having the problems i had it was not unnecessary. Second as i stated i had many emails with schiit customer service
and they told me the products had zero issues after two days of testing and deemed the items to be fine, thus charging me a restocking fee. Charging a restocking
fee for a problem that a customer had issues with is not a fair policy in my opinion. I did get an RMA and a partial refund. Lastly i am a member
of Sony pro support and they answer every time that i call them.

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #27,789 of 154,468
I am a member of Sony pro support and they answer every time that i call them.

I'd answer the phone too if some guy gave me $100 a year!

Qj1lAYj.png

Dec 28, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #27,790 of 154,468
Ditto! I still can't get over the price of phono cartridges I've seen of late. A nonissue for me as I'm cd only but geez!

Have you seen the prices of some cd's? I know I'm glad I got some of mine a while back. 2juki is who I got my cart's from a few years ago. If you buy 3 (or more) like I did you can get a significant discount over retail.

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #27,791 of 154,468
Have you seen the prices of some cd's? I know I'm glad I got some of mine a while back. 2juki is who I got my cart's from a few years ago. If you buy 3 (or more) like I did you can get a significant discount over retail.

Yes, the "special" reissue - re-mastered ones in particular. But they are not all equal, I've purchased some I've compared directly with my original issue cd's, some are worth the money, some are not. It's not that the lesser "special" ones sound bad, they just don't sound all that, or any, different from the "un-special" cd's. It's always a crap-shoot but my collection is so large I don't really buy that much any more. And would only be tempted by a performance I'm intimately familiar with and that is among my top say 100.

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #27,794 of 154,468
First off my experience saves others from having the problems i had it was not unnecessary. Second as i stated i had many emails with schiit customer service
and they told me the products had zero issues after two days of testing and deemed the items to be fine, thus charging me a restocking fee. Charging a restocking
fee for a problem that a customer had issues with is not a fair policy in my opinion. I did get an RMA and a partial refund. Lastly i am a member
of Sony pro support and they answer every time that i call them.

They are very up-front that for assistance, you use email and not telephone to contact them. My experience has been very different, but then, I followed their directions.

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #27,795 of 154,468
US Blues, what new development for the new year.

Something new for my system, not from Schiit, UPS Ground has it scheduled for delivery on 2 January 2018. I'll post up a report once they're up and running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back