Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 22, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #27,601 of 151,306
2017, Chapter 17:
Where We’re Going

...Let’s face it. The first Schiitr was a lark. It was a “hell with it, see what we can do,” kind of thing. The fact that it did so well, in such an inconvenient location, is a signpost to the future. So yes, we’ll be actively looking at opening at least one more Schiitr, and perhaps more, as the performance is proven.

Where? I don’t know. Alone or in cooperation with someone else? I don’t know. Ask Tyler. He’s gonna be the mastermind of this one.

...We’ll see. Here’s looking forward to a great 2018!

I vote for the Washington DC area... specifically Silver Spring, Maryland

Dec 22, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #27,602 of 151,306
... if your tracking force is set WAAAYYY to light.
I was deliberately exaggerating to indicate the statement that a lot of money was spent to eliminate the turntable picking up sound from the speakers.
The tone arm will pck up sound and it will influence the fidelity even at best set tracking force. Or you have to put the turntable in the next room as someone in this forum mentioned before.

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #27,603 of 151,306
If you look at Jason's year end status posts, he states: "Gen 5 is not a single product. It’s actually five products with two physically different boards—one specifically for Yggdrasil, and one for Gungnir and Bifrost."

So a Gen 5 board in Bifrost reporting as "Gungnir" sounds correct.

Yep, you are right, but @Jason Stoddard added “Each must be programmed with firmware specific to the product (Bifrost, Bifrost Multibit, Gungnir, Gungnir Multibit, Yggdrasil.)” so it seems that Bifrost and Gungnir Gen 5 USB boards should have different firmwares. Maybe he referred to the main unit motherboard firmware, maybe Bifrost and Gungnir Gen 5 USB boards have firmwares that are just cosmetically different (different device name string) but are functionally identical and my Bifrost has been assembled with a perfectly compatible Gungnir Gen 5 USB board. Who knows? Nevertheless, as suggested, I contacted info@schiit.com on December 19th and I’m waiting for an answer. I’ll report back as soon I have news.

Locutus73

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #27,604 of 151,306
There are just too many potential customer to ignore the Northeast of the country.

The perfect place for that would be in or around Philadelphia. You then can basically access within reason everyone from Eastern New York down to Washington DC within reason.

The further north you push it (towards NYC) you start to add places up to Boston, but you lose the southern side in Washington DC.

So maybe you look at New Jersey in the Cherry Hill to Princeton Area. (I live more towards Lancaster PA so I'm only being a partial homer here).

Again just my opinion. The logistics of setting up and staffing on the opposite coast is most likely a nightmare.

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #27,605 of 151,306
The Florida Schiitr has been named!
Well....yes, but put it in my county (Pinellas) and it would have to be "Old as Schiit"!

On second thought forget it! No matter what it's named around here most would think it a place to buy fiber!

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #27,606 of 151,306
There are just too many potential customer to ignore the Northeast of the country.

The perfect place for that would be in or around Philadelphia. You then can basically access within reason everyone from Eastern New York down to Washington DC within reason.

The further north you push it (towards NYC) you start to add places up to Boston, but you lose the southern side in Washington DC.

So maybe you look at New Jersey in the Cherry Hill to Princeton Area. (I live more towards Lancaster PA so I'm only being a partial homer here).

Again just my opinion. The logistics of setting up and staffing on the opposite coast is most likely a nightmare.

Yes, anywhere on the 295 corridor would make it easy to get to

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #27,610 of 151,306
I think they mean a speaker amp version of Lyr
Gotcha...thanks.

Really don't spend much, if any, time thinking about the Schiit 2 channel line. That said, if I wanted the ability to add tube sound to the Vidar, I'm thinking I'd just do a Saga/Vidar in that case...but I suppose if you already have a SS preamp you're happy with, that makes sense.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #27,611 of 151,306
I think they mean a speaker amp version of Lyr

Ya.
Gotcha...thanks.

Really don't spend much, if any, time thinking about the Schiit 2 channel line. That said, if I wanted the ability to add tube sound to the Vidar, I'm thinking I'd just do a Saga/Vidar in that case...but I suppose if you already have a SS preamp you're happy with, that makes sense.

Even though this is a headphone enthusiast site, there are a handful of us who are really into 2-channel gear.

I actually do have a Saga on order with the Vidar, and yes, that can be used to add that bit of tube sound. A hybrid style amp would just be cool and fun to play with. It would also, in my opinion, fit into their lineup without adding additional confusion.

Obviously, it's not my place to make these decisions, but lobbying Jason seems to be half of what this thread is about, so why not?

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #27,612 of 151,306

Users who are viewing this thread

Back