Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 29, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #27,091 of 150,442
@Jason Stoddard , at the risk of being *very* indelicate...

...do you feel like you are having some growing pains?

You guys have put out a LOT of new products this year. You opened the Schittr, there are prototypes afoot that we've seen, there's the Gadget series, and you're suffering from popularity in the holiday season.

These two reviews on head-fi http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/schiit-vidar-power-amplifier and https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/ (both recently from Schiit related threads here), suggest that final assembly is getting hectic. GRANTED, neither pointed out any fatal error, just little nits.

I'm wondering if you guys have to take a little time in 2018 to just breathe and appreciate the growth from startup to viable business to small/medium-sized business.

And, of course, I'd love to see a chapter on business growth. You've come a long way from worrying about Christmas Gifts For Life.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #27,092 of 150,442
For you. Not for everyone.
Never ever discard an idea because you yourself do not see the profit.
It's called short sighted.
(which I don't mean in a personal way)

Well said, my friend.

My mother taught me that even castles in the air need a foundation.

There are wants and needs. Most, if not all, of my audio and video stuff is born of wants. The kid inside gets his needs satiated just by listening to the music. The foundation of Schiit is quality at reasonably affordable prices. Priced for the average man but built for the enthusiast, thus making every man's home his castle.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #27,093 of 150,442
Well I ordered my Freya on Tuesday night, I just the FedEx notice that it will be here in the afternoon tomorrow. Awesome service. Thanks Jason, Mike and the crew for making such amazing gear and supporting it so well.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #27,094 of 150,442
Nov 30, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #27,095 of 150,442
Great post. I've been using a Hifiberry Digi+ with Gungnir's BNC input for a few years. I often get a glitch when touching the case of the Gungnir -- just a click of the relay. Now I'm wondering if it's caused by the Hifiberry. I'd love to hear more reports comparing various RPi systems to microRendu + Gen5 USB or any other roon ready transport.

This is my first post after reading HeadFi for a while now.
Glad to be here!

I have the same issue as you. In the end i abandoned the hifiberry card and i run the files from the Rpi3B (via USB) into the Yggy.
I was very happy when the Volumio software recognised the Yggy.

2017-11-30.jpg

Previously i had the Pi paired with the Hifiberry Digi+ Pro with BNC into the DAC.
Whenever i touch the externals of the usb port on the rpi (no insertion of usb), the DAC clicks.

I managed to reduce the clicks after opening the transformer jumper and running the OS exclusively on the SD card. But it still clicks, just less.
(It seems to click more with the FLAC files and the OS file co-located on the same card)

No matter how much buffer and buffer time i set, the DAC's relay clicks while playing music midway.

I suspect the issue has to do with either 1. The Galvanic isolation and / or 2. The clock from the hifiberry with Yggy's Master clock resulting in the temporary loss of signal locking.

With the USB connection, its perfect!

Nov 30, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #27,098 of 150,442
It has to be long enough that people can't do it by accident and 4 seconds is way too short.

40 seconds is how long you hold down the power button my daughter's fire table to do a factory reset.

I guessed your 40 seconds were a typo, that's why I asked if you meant 4 seconds.

Anyways, 40 seconds or any similar period would be a disaster as a choice, it would be infuriating to be asked to press a button for so long, even more if you consider other manufacturers have the same feature and ask you to press a single button, once.

I hope Schiit guys don't fall for that.

No we don't.

Every buck spent on VU meters is one not spent on audio quality.

Besides, lots of companies make add-on/inline VU meters. You can have that if you wish.

od2o7.jpg

Now.. this is what I woke up to.
Someone is trying to tell me she is not happy with her new coat.
Constanza is getting the piss out of me.
How can she even avoid 8!! sharp cones?
Maybe I should rename her W*****s

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA, so many cones yet Constanza continues to not give a schiit :D

I told you long time ago, you already lost the war. Concentrate in Ragnarok and leave Yggy as Constanza land (she is just helping you to keep the thermal stability of it, so you can get the best sound of your system!!!).

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #27,100 of 150,442
I guessed your 40 seconds were a typo, that's why I asked if you meant 4 seconds.

Anyways, 40 seconds or any similar period would be a disaster as a choice, it would be infuriating to be asked to press a button for so long, even more if you consider other manufacturers have the same feature and ask you to press a single button, once.

I hope Schiit guys don't fall for that.

od2o7.jpg

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA, so many cones yet Constanza continues to not give a schiit :D

I told you long time ago, you already lost the war. Concentrate in Ragnarok and leave Yggy as Constanza land (she is just helping you to keep the thermal stability of it, so you can get the best sound of your system!!!).

That whooshing sound you heard was your sarcasm blowing right past me. :) Sorry, with all the serious wishes for VU meters, I figured you might be one of *those* guys.

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #27,101 of 150,442
You're right.
I removed the spikes.
Why should I be the only one having fun with the Yggdrasil.
She is so skinny now, she could fit between the spikes anyway.
And man, the scaffolds are still up!
Nice stack of Schiit, BTW...

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #27,104 of 150,442
Great post. I've been using a Hifiberry Digi+ with Gungnir's BNC input for a few years. I often get a glitch when touching the case of the Gungnir -- just a click of the relay. Now I'm wondering if it's caused by the Hifiberry. I'd love to hear more reports comparing various RPi systems to microRendu + Gen5 USB or any other roon ready transport.
I can't compare directly to Rendu as I haven't listened to one, but I did recently get the Allo DigiOne and sent the Roon/FLAC signal directly into my Yggdrasil via BNC. I spent just a few minutes this past weekend comparing it to CD via AES and my amateur ears could barely detect a significant enough difference. Similarly, I had my Sonos connected into the Yggdrasil using both it's optical and coax feeds. I played the same album using Deezer/FLAC as I did with the CD and Roon/DigiOne. The coax output matched equally well with the CD and DigiOne - more bright - whereas the optical was a bit more airy/warmer. I plan on comparing the various inputs in a bit more detail as time affords, but am overall very happy with the DigiOne. Hope that helps.

Edit: forgot to mention that since the original question was about the Rendu and using Yggdrasil's USB input, Allo also makes the USBridge. Similar to the DigiOne, but with USB out rather than SPDIF on DigiOne. It doesn't sit on an RPi though and utilizes another Allo SBC called Sparky. Since it's USB, it can support up to 32b rather than SPDIF's 24b.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #27,105 of 150,442
@Jason Stoddard , at the risk of being *very* indelicate...

...do you feel like you are having some growing pains?

You guys have put out a LOT of new products this year. You opened the Schittr, there are prototypes afoot that we've seen, there's the Gadget series, and you're suffering from popularity in the holiday season.

These two reviews on head-fi http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/schiit-vidar-power-amplifier and https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/ (both recently from Schiit related threads here), suggest that final assembly is getting hectic. GRANTED, neither pointed out any fatal error, just little nits.

I'm wondering if you guys have to take a little time in 2018 to just breathe and appreciate the growth from startup to viable business to small/medium-sized business.

And, of course, I'd love to see a chapter on business growth. You've come a long way from worrying about Christmas Gifts For Life.

Actually, there's nothing different about assembly, nor anything hectic about it. Yes, the assembly house uses the proper "no clean" flux that you can see on some thru-hole parts, same as pretty much every manufacturer on the planet (that is not the size of Apple.) Vidar? We send B-stock for reviews, I guess we should be more clear about that.

As far as slowing down/reducing the number of products, absolutely. A lot of the stuff we're doing right now is more foundational than specific new-product development driven. And there'll likely be a delay in releasing any Gadget products until we figure out what the right functionality should be. Sales on Loki are strong, but not exciting enough to hurry out any additional products.

And with respect to the Guides, yep, I know, I need to cover combo products, 2-channel products, etc. Working on that now.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back