Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 3, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #2,506 of 150,702
I really hope the folks at Light Harmonic are reading this - they are in the midst of some CS 'growing pains' over there and could learn a thing or two from this blog.

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #2,507 of 150,702
  You're obviously one of the the exceptions to the rule. No worries, we appreciate the biz. But it does illustrate how a business which completely ignores email might still be successful. And why a policy of "ignore/downplay customer contact" may be financially supportable.

And... it just looks like statistically, the people who email a bunch of times are the same ones influenced by the (possibly shill/paid) impressions of other people, rather than trusting their own judgement. As with a famous negative review of the A2 which appeared on a forum which does not sell the product (but sells competing products) complete with a total lack of examples of what sounded better, by the own reviewer's judgement.

I didn't mention this in the above post, but the 24-48 hour response time for e-mails is ridiculous. That might've been fine in like 2003, but we now live in a fast-paced world. Why almost every other company thinks this is acceptable business practice bewilders me. But hey, apparently they're all still in business somehow...

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #2,508 of 150,702
  And it does work. It’s called, in corp-speak, setting expectations. Expect fast email response. Expect really, really slow phone response. Which do you choose? There you go.

This simple fact - set and meet customer expectations is missed time and again with all types of customer interactions that it never ceases to amaze me that it isn't a top management priority given the cost of customer acquisition. Kudos to you and the Schiit team for delivering on it and standing out because of it!  
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #2,509 of 150,702
  I didn't mention this in the above post, but the 24-48 hour response time for e-mails is ridiculous. That might've been fine in like 2003, but we now live in a fast-paced world. Why almost every other company thinks this is acceptable business practice bewilders me. But hey, apparently they're all still in business somehow...

I think the bigger the company, the messier CS becomes. I like the way Schiit keeps their business fairly small and nimble, thus avoiding a lot of the headaches for themselves and their customers that comes with being a so-called industry giant.

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #2,510 of 150,702
  You're obviously one of the the exceptions to the rule. No worries, we appreciate the biz. But it does illustrate how a business which completely ignores email might still be successful. And why a policy of "ignore/downplay customer contact" may be financially supportable.

And... it just looks like statistically, the people who email a bunch of times are the same ones influenced by the (possibly shill/paid) impressions of other people, rather than trusting their own judgement. As with a famous negative review of the A2 which appeared on a forum which does not sell the product (but sells competing products) complete with a total lack of examples of what sounded better, by the own reviewer's 

on and A2 the shipping is $80 so this is not a product i can try and return so I have no choice but to read reviews and opinions from people who have at least heard it, and try and work out if its for me or not ideal i agree

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #2,511 of 150,702
  I really hope the folks at Light Harmonic are reading this - they are in the midst of some CS 'growing pains' over there and could learn a thing or two from this blog.

OOoh, you took the words out of my brain...I was tempted to post this yesterday but in keeping with the policy of not wanting to "bad mouth" anybody, I desisted. I guess you (and I) are part of this growing pains experience huh?

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #2,512 of 150,702
  OOoh, you took the words out of my brain...I was tempted to post this yesterday but in keeping with the policy of not wanting to "bad mouth" anybody, I desisted. I guess you (and I) are part of this growing pains experience huh?

They're doing their best, but it seems they have some kinks to work out. I'm sure they'll figure everything out in due time. Reading this blog is like a mini-MBA, huh?

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #2,513 of 150,702
I do agree my experience with both Nick and Laura are fantastic and they are very patient even when i was being Mr OCD. From a trust perspective I would in the future trust any recommendation made by the SCS Team

Sep 4, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #2,515 of 150,702
I also had an awesome experience with Schiit's customer service. I emailed them to let them know that my Magni & Modi worked out of the box without any issues on Fedora 20, got a reply literally within two minutes, and within twenty minutes they'd updated the Modi FAQ to mention that Fedora reportedly works fine too.

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #2,516 of 150,702
Well...
Jason i have to say, after working in tourism for 6 months (yeah, JUST six months) Ive seen very similar reactions more than once (including criminal acts, thou all of them retracted),. There are people who are unhappy. always. without reason.
Those are the people you dont want to have around. It took me 3 jobs and 2 ex-girlfriends to figure this out. (2nd I lost because I was the Ogre).
Actually Im Sad about that guy. You at Schiit had to listen to him for 3 days, he ahs to live with himself for the rest of his life... that cant be fun.

Working with people is tricky. Sometimes you get the right people, sometimes the wrong. Key thing is to keep the positive memories, and ignore the negative.

As a side note on sales:

Its a very risky thing to do. There is no way of telling if people will become to expect sales to be the "normal" product. I believe its called something like bonus product perceived as standard?

Sep 4, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #2,517 of 150,702

I dont know man....
If id be asking for an ambulance, yes its far too long.
But if asking about a product or similar... nope. As far as I dont wait 1 full week between answers, for me its fine. Of course Id rather have an answer in 5 minutes, but lets get real: We are not the center of the universe and the world does not run around us. 
In Poland a good years back in communism, the seller was GOD and the consumer was nothing. Now, the ideas from capitalist of the consumer is GOD and the seller is a nobody took over.

How about we both matter and try to live together well? You know Woosah.

Sep 4, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #2,518 of 150,702
Jason, are you sure not being a little hard on Arglebargle?
I mean, I have their e2e-NLNHI even-number low-n harmonics injector and it works quite well. Although if Schiit made a competing product I'd definitely check it out...
Twinkle

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #2,520 of 150,702
Really enjoyed the Tale of the B-Stocking A-hole !!

I personally try to live by the principle just espoused by Alex; that one should "treat others just as one wishes to be treated".  Unfortunately, that has led to me being arrested for kissing pretty female strangers on the teeming streets of Melbourne. Even more unfortunately, this has not yet led to my wish for pretty female strangers attempting to kiss me to come to fruition - though I am cautiously optimistic (and possibly slightly delusional). :'(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back