Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #2,491 of 151,790
I've always found that the best way to get the best customer service (whether working with a small or large company) is to approach every situation with courtesy, humor and empathy for the person on the other end.  Being pleasant and cheerful goes a long way toward greasing the wheels even in a difficult situation.  And, if that doesn't work, before exploding just endeavor to work your way up the chain (lead, 2nd tier tech, supervisor, etc.).

Sometimes push back can be necessary depending on who you are working with, but I find that by starting off pleasantly you can almost always avoid that.  People who assume that the only way to get what they want is to rant and be abusive seem to have become more prevalent in this disconnected, Internet era (one disadvantage of direct sales, I am sure!). 

I remember once working for Extension at a large university when someone called up irate that her class had been cancelled due to low enrollment.  She was livid, abusive and profane at me for 15 minutes with me barely able to get a word in edgewise.  Finally, after trying to explain why it was cancelled and offering alternatives, all to no avail, I had a brain storm.  I told her, 'hang on a minute, I think I might have someone who can help you' and flipped through the campus directory until I found the number for the garbage collection office (the phone system was campus-wide) and transferred her. 

Needless to say, she called back in less than a minute and my boss asked why I wasn't answering the phone.  I quickly explained the situation to her and she took the call and talked the woman back down from the ledge.  Later, she asked that if anyone that abusive called again I should relay the call to her rather than garbage collection, but she was chuckling all the while (as she agreed with my assessment of the caller's behavior...)

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #2,492 of 151,790
Obviously, the answer is to screen your customers.  Give them the ol' replicant eye test or something and relegate the failures to their own little dreary netherworld.  Only problem with that is I don't think that I'd make the cut on that beauty contest.  Darn, darn, darn, a non-customer...  Again.

You know, of course, that if this guy has his own company, he has his own customers to deal with, and may be living in a private hell of his own making.  Karma, neh?  Aand maybe he's just a product of his own pestilent customer dealings.  Everyone carries forward their own baggage, and I'm sure that you are a battered...er, better man from your encounter, of which we are all now enjoying its fruits. 
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #2,493 of 151,790
Oh now this is just funny. I knew who it was the second I saw that Yulong pic. I bought his LCD 2.2s. What started out as good communication, turned into an endless stream of his conciousness via PM here, and texts-basically wanting to absorb everything I knew about the HD800 experience. This went on for a couple of months...

Eventually I was thisclose to mailing/loaning him my Luxman P1u to try out. The DAY before I was supposed to mail it-it sold (I had had an ad up). Once I broke the news...

I never heard from him again. That was a year ago. Now I know.

Jason,
beerchug.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #2,496 of 151,790
Obviously, the answer is to screen your customers.  Give them the ol' replicant eye test or something and relegate the failures to their own little dreary netherworld.  Only problem with that is I don't think that I'd make the cut on that beauty contest.  Darn, darn, darn, a non-customer...  Again.

You know, of course, that if this guy has his own company, he has his own customers to deal with, and may be living in a private hell of his own making.  Karma, neh?  Aand maybe he's just a product of his own pestilent customer dealings.  Everyone carries forward their own baggage, and I'm sure that you are a battered...er, better man from your encounter, of which we are all now enjoying its fruits.  :wink:
well said sir.

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #2,497 of 151,790
I love it. I have some experience in customer service and, briefly, having a business. I love your approach not only from a business perspective but I think your employees benefit enormously. I bought your products after comparing them to the competition, (technical + quality) / cost, but it *feels* good to give my business towards an endeavor that I respect and admire.

Your #1 fan
atsmile.gif
jk

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #2,498 of 151,790
While I find the statistics interesting on those that email before buying, I think I sent three emails before buying my Asgard 2. I also visited two audio stores to view competing products (there aren't any for that price range, trust me...). Needless to say, I was satisfied and didn't end up returning it. So while he wasn't saying anything was wrong with emailing, I think some people are just cautious. 

Also, if the package was rerouted, how did he reroute it again himself? Doesn't that have to be done by the sender?

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #2,499 of 151,790
Having been on the both sides of the customer service process I have to say, that was one hell of the story.
I spent my time with customer service and I really admire how patient You guys were with this a-hole. I probably wouldn't.
Most of my difficult clients were people who were completely computer illiterate (and I mean completely, my favourite one was a lady who said that she can't move the cursor on the screen because the mouse is on the edge of the table and can't be moved further to the right, not kidding) and needed very, very precise instructions. 

Also, I've dealt with Schiit customer service twice and I have to admit that was the best customer service I have ever had. Jason, You should definitely give Laura a raise.

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #2,500 of 151,790
  Also, if the package was rerouted, how did he reroute it again himself? Doesn't that have to be done by the sender?

That was the question that I asked my FedEx representative.  The answer is not necessarily.  Under an account with normal restrictions you can reroute your shipment to a Fed location and pick it up.  I currently have one of the higher-level restrictions on our FedEx account.  If you try to reroute one of my packages FedEx is supposed to receive authorization from me before allowing the change.

If you call FedEx during normal business days and hours you will get their US representatives.  They know their stuff and do a pretty good job.  After hours and weekends you get routed to their India Call Center.  The customer service there is far more inconsistent.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #2,501 of 151,790
  Unstable personalities are why I resigned from being a moderator on HT Shack...

Ooohhahhahha... HT Shack. I feel for you. 

"Why won't my 1979 Betamax work with your equipment?" Answer: Because this is the 21st Century.

"Why won't my Arglebargle 123 HDMI-output YouTube Converter work with your HDMi 1.4A inputs?" Answer: Look up "plugfest," you lazy butthead.

Home theater? Nope. Not happening.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 3, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #2,502 of 151,790

That was the question that I asked my FedEx representative.  The answer is not necessarily.  Under an account with normal restrictions you can reroute your shipment to a Fed location and pick it up.  I currently have one of the higher-level restrictions on our FedEx account.  If you try to reroute one of my packages FedEx is supposed to receive authorization from me before allowing the change.

If you call FedEx during normal business days and hours you will get their US representatives.  They know their stuff and do a pretty good job.  After hours and weekends you get routed to their India Call Center.  The customer service there is far more inconsistent.

That guy had to have been sly as hell to know that. 

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #2,503 of 151,790
  While I find the statistics interesting on those that email before buying, I think I sent three emails before buying my Asgard 2. I also visited two audio stores to view competing products (there aren't any for that price range, trust me...). Needless to say, I was satisfied and didn't end up returning it. So while he wasn't saying anything was wrong with emailing, I think some people are just cautious. 

You're obviously one of the the exceptions to the rule. No worries, we appreciate the biz. But it does illustrate how a business which completely ignores email might still be successful. And why a policy of "ignore/downplay customer contact" may be financially supportable.

And... it just looks like statistically, the people who email a bunch of times are the same ones influenced by the (possibly shill/paid) impressions of other people, rather than trusting their own judgement. As with a famous negative review of the A2 which appeared on a forum which does not sell the product (but sells competing products) complete with a total lack of examples of what sounded better, by the own reviewer's judgement. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 3, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #2,504 of 151,790
  Also, I've dealt with Schiit customer service twice and I have to admit that was the best customer service I have ever had. Jason, You should definitely give Laura a raise.

I have to second Yethal. Best customer service of any technology company I have done business.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #2,505 of 151,790
I am quite enjoying the saga.  I have emailed Schiit on a few occasions.  I was very impressed when I got an immediate response from Jason and from Alex more recently.  I ended not buying a product based on their feedback, as it was clear it wouldn't meet my needs.  I did buy a couple of products so far, and have been quite satisfied.
I am looking forward to seeing what new products are coming down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back