Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.

1. rkw
    In a car, the DAC is the least of your concerns. Start by improving your amps, speakers, DSP, crossovers, subwoofer, and sound deadening. What is your car system right now?

Robert Wortman and liamo like this.
  2. Brian D
    nm

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. FLTWS
    I owned them back in the 80's and 90's, wish I still had them.

AudioBear likes this.
  4. AMRoberts
    In the spirit of completeness, I'll point out that your math is correct for a constant 8 ohm, resistive load. Speakers and crossovers aren't purely resistive loads, and their impedance can vary with frequency.

FWIW, my Jurassic Halfer DH-220 is spec'ed at 1.55 Vrms to produce the rated 115 watts into 8 ohms. Thus there are Schiit products that (barely) won't directly drive that amp to its rated power (i.e., Modi 2 and Modi2 Uber are rated at 1.5 Vrms output; I believe all the other Schiit DACs are rated at more than enough output to drive the amp to rated power). Granted, in my listening space with my speakers I have no reason to go there ... I'm trying to keep what age, health, and environment have left me of my hearing. In the manual for my current speakers is the following, which I believe to be sound advice:

A PERSONAL NOTE

I have been doing volunteer work for several years with elderly people with severe hearing
    losses, and I have seen the frustration and anger that are brought on by these losses. We
    now know that many of these people developed their hearing problems because of expo
    sure to high noise levels when younger.

Many home stereo systems, as well as audio/video, personal, and automobile sound sys
    tems are capable of volume levels potentially damaging to your hearing. Please use com
    mon sense, and listen to your music and movies at safe levels now so you will still have
    the ability to hear and enjoy them in the future.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    33na3rd and liamo like this.
  5. liamo
    Dodge Charger RT with an Alpine system. Wouldn't mind upgrading speakers as long as I don't have to use funky covers.

6. Robert Wortman
    Most amps are designed to be voltage sources and as such will double their power as the impedance is halved up to where they run out of power supply current. That calculated 1.28 volts will cause the Vidar to put out it's rate voltage output.

7. DoubleIPA
    Does the front gain switch make a difference? How sensitive are your speakers?

8. Letmebefrank
    Front gain switch on the Jotunheim does effect the preamp outputs.

9. hornytoad
    No because I have it on Low gain. kef ls50's low sensitivity.

10. RCBinTN
    That is one of the best posts I've read on Head-Fi in a long time. Maybe ever.
    Spot on! Your ears are valuable devices. They enable this hobby. Take care of them!
    Thanks @brad1138

DougD and brad1138 like this.
  11. JohnnyCanuck
    Try it on High gain. You might like it.

JC

12. hornytoad
    I'll try

13. RCBinTN
    Oh man, the Yggy + Rag is a killer stack.
    Do it! If you can. You will not look back...

Enjoy your music!
    RCB

BagelJoe and FLTWS like this.
  14. FLTWS
    Yep.

15. liquidsmote
    Dynamat

Car stereos were my first love ... and all I can say is Dynamat ... lots and lots of Dynamat. Road noise and rattles are the nemesis of sound quality.

HumanFly and liamo like this.