Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 13, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #24,271 of 149,294
How hard would it be to make a 12v Mimby for vehicles? I'm getting spoiled and the car system isn't quite cutting it.
In a car, the DAC is the least of your concerns. Start by improving your amps, speakers, DSP, crossovers, subwoofer, and sound deadening. What is your car system right now?

Sep 13, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #24,273 of 149,294
As mentioned in my post the Quad ESL 63, vintage model from the eighties.

I owned them back in the 80's and 90's, wish I still had them.

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #24,274 of 149,294
Gain is listed at 22. Max power into 8 ohms is rated at 100. Power (P) = voltage (E) times current(I). Voltage (E) = I*R If we want to solve for E we need to express I in terms of E. Rearranging E= I*R by dividing both sides by R we get I=E/R Substitute this into the power equation of P=I*E and we get P= E*E/R Substitute what we know and we get 100= E(squared) /8. Multiply both sides by 8 and we get 800= E(squared) The square root of 800 is 28.28..... Or you can just use an online electronics calculator. Creating 100 watts into 8 ohms requires about 28.3 volts. Working backwards from output voltage, 28.3 volts divided by the gain of 22 equals 1,28 volts. Incidentally, my NAD is spec'ed to require 1.2 volts in to produce it's specified 150 watts into 8 ohms. It seems like Jason specified a pretty standard amount of gain. Most consumer line level devices should be able to produce full output through a unity gain preamp. The exception would be low output phono cartridges running into phono preamps without enough gain. Mine works fine. Others might not.

In the spirit of completeness, I'll point out that your math is correct for a constant 8 ohm, resistive load. Speakers and crossovers aren't purely resistive loads, and their impedance can vary with frequency.

FWIW, my Jurassic Halfer DH-220 is spec'ed at 1.55 Vrms to produce the rated 115 watts into 8 ohms. Thus there are Schiit products that (barely) won't directly drive that amp to its rated power (i.e., Modi 2 and Modi2 Uber are rated at 1.5 Vrms output; I believe all the other Schiit DACs are rated at more than enough output to drive the amp to rated power). Granted, in my listening space with my speakers I have no reason to go there ... I'm trying to keep what age, health, and environment have left me of my hearing. In the manual for my current speakers is the following, which I believe to be sound advice:

A PERSONAL NOTE

I have been doing volunteer work for several years with elderly people with severe hearing
losses, and I have seen the frustration and anger that are brought on by these losses. We
now know that many of these people developed their hearing problems because of expo
sure to high noise levels when younger.

Many home stereo systems, as well as audio/video, personal, and automobile sound sys
tems are capable of volume levels potentially damaging to your hearing. Please use com
mon sense, and listen to your music and movies at safe levels now so you will still have
the ability to hear and enjoy them in the future.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #24,276 of 149,294
In the spirit of completeness, I'll point out that your math is correct for a constant 8 ohm, resistive load. Speakers and crossovers aren't purely resistive loads, and their impedance can vary with frequency.

FWIW, my Jurassic Halfer DH-220 is spec'ed at 1.55 Vrms to produce the rated 115 watts into 8 ohms. Thus there are Schiit products that (barely) won't directly drive that amp to its rated power (i.e., Modi 2 and Modi2 Uber are rated at 1.5 Vrms output; I believe all the other Schiit DACs are rated at more than enough output to drive the amp to rated power). Granted, in my listening space with my speakers I have no reason to go there ... I'm trying to keep what age, health, and environment have left me of my hearing. In the manual for my current speakers is the following, which I believe to be sound advice:

Most amps are designed to be voltage sources and as such will double their power as the impedance is halved up to where they run out of power supply current. That calculated 1.28 volts will cause the Vidar to put out it's rate voltage output.

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #24,278 of 149,294
Front gain switch on the Jotunheim does effect the preamp outputs.

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #24,280 of 149,294
Not sure how old you are, I am 50. I spent a lot of my life listening to louuuwwd music, thinking I was different than everyone else, it wouldn't affect my ears.....

I was wrong.

After 30 to 40 years of building my system, I finally have a fantastic system, that knocks most people's socks off. I love it to death, but I can't appreciate it the way I could have 10+ years ago.... having lost some of the ability to hear highs in my left ear (and gained a bit of tinnitus), it screws with imaging, and is annoying and not easy to ignore.

It took me a long time to learn, music can be as enjoyable at 60 to 70 dB as 90 to 100+ dB. A well put together system, helps a lot with that. I would give anything to have realized the damage I was doing to my ears over the years, before it was too late...

Just be careful, and consider this your warning before you regret it.

Brad
That is one of the best posts I've read on Head-Fi in a long time. Maybe ever.
Spot on! Your ears are valuable devices. They enable this hobby. Take care of them!
Thanks @brad1138

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #24,283 of 149,294
I bailed on Pandora a couple of years ago. I wish we had Qobuz in the US. I'd like to try it. Lately I have been using Tidal, mostly thru Roon. I didn't get the point of Roon at first but the more I work with it, the more impressed I am with the software. I am about to spring for a lifetime membership. Hope they last 4 more years so I at least break even on that. I found that Sirius doesn't have enough variety and -- at least the way I use it -- doesn't allow me to pick the music I want to hear. Am I wrong about that? Otherwise they are cool.

If Schiit makes it, I know it's good, it makes sense, and it has terrific value. The only thing that keeps me from buying everything they make is limited $$$. I am, however, seriously thinking about finally springing for Yggy and Rag for my upcoming birthday! I know @Pietro Cozzi Tinin would urge me to go for it. Right?
Oh man, the Yggy + Rag is a killer stack.
Do it! If you can. You will not look back...

Enjoy your music!
RCB

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #24,284 of 149,294
Sep 13, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #24,285 of 149,294
In a car, the DAC is the least of your concerns. Start by improving your amps, speakers, DSP, crossovers, subwoofer, and sound deadening. What is your car system right now?

Dodge Charger RT with an Alpine system. Wouldn't mind upgrading speakers as long as I don't have to use funky covers.

Dynamat

Car stereos were my first love ... and all I can say is Dynamat ... lots and lots of Dynamat. Road noise and rattles are the nemesis of sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back