Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 13, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #24,256 of 149,248
The Jot is not really a preamp. More inputs and outputs plus a remote will be ideal.
I've had plenty have stereo pre amps with few inputs and no remote in my years. However I guess you're inferring that it's a volume control knob and a headphone amp. With the ability to be a dac or phono input.

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #24,257 of 149,248
I don't actually understand your points though. I can only speak for myself and glad that what you have works for you over the years.

I had been to Schittr and Saga really impressed me by having the stepped attenuator and the convenience of the remote, the Freya also had a couple more input/output terminals then the Jot. It's only my wishlist, and I don't own Schitt nor do they owe me anything.

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #24,258 of 149,248
6 weeks after pre-ordering and payment of VIdar in Europe still no information on availability.
I must say I'm a bit disappointed here. From day one of announcement and without interruption available in the US.
Is there a technical issue? Part delivery issue? 230V transformer issue?
Waiting is OK if I know why, but being in the dark for so long is what's bothering me.

:triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:

UPDATE: fryday next week Vidar will arrive at the EU distributor. So after 2 months Vidar will be shipped for me to evaluate.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #24,259 of 149,248
I don't actually understand your points though. I can only speak for myself and glad that what you have works for you over the years.

I had been to Schittr and Saga really impressed me by having the stepped attenuator and the convenience of the remote, the Freya also had a couple more input/output terminals then the Jot. It's only my wishlist, and I don't own Schitt nor do they owe me anything.
Point is that you don't have to have a remote to be a preamplifier nor a plethora of inputs. I certainly wouldn't but it for my 2 channel system.

However this is a headphone amp/dac that can be used as a preamp if desired which is a nice benefit for someone like me who will use it on the desktop with headphones and studio monitors. So I see it as a preamp for certain uses.

Freya is on my list for my 2 channel system.

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #24,260 of 149,248
Agree that it 'can' be a preamp, I sometimes use it as such when I connect powered computers speakers to its SE output. But again, this will be a temporary solution and I don't see myself building a 2 channel outfit with Jotunheim acting as the preamp. My ideal setup would be Yggdrasil balanced to both the pre-amp and Jotunheim with Jot exclusively as the headphone amp, thus the wishlist.

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #24,261 of 149,248
Good grief! A guy gets a little distracted for a week from this thread by little Schiit things that come up, like the weather around here in Tampa Bay Area. I will be rereading in detail all the many many pages to catch every subtle nuance while enjoying my 56th year of this fine Florida climate.

Anyway, couldn't take it anymore after 48 hours and hooked up the bedroom system! To any Shiitheads and really everyone affected by natural events always prepare and be/hope you're safe! Nature will always give us a good schooling. Take nothing for granted! oh, if you can go balanced go balanced.
Love your survival mode. Curious how the sound quality is compared to everything plugged into the wall ac? Hope living conditions improve quickly for you.

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #24,263 of 149,248
Love your survival mode. Curious how the sound quality is compared to everything plugged into the wall ac? Hope living conditions improve quickly for you.
After living in Florida for 44 years [and many storms], we built our retirement home. The first requirement was a 22kw, propane fueled whole house generator----it has now powered us through over 75 hours of power outages, and also allows us to have water [we are on our own well]. Freya and other brand sound gear have no problems with the power quality, my air conditioning system loves it, and it keeps the wife from being overly anxious about the storm. Best money I ever spent--I highly recommend it.

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #24,265 of 149,248
I'm still on the fence about whether to get 8 Ohm speakers that are in the highest sensitivity range like the RP-280F (98 dB), or to get 4 Ohm speakers that are in the pretty high sensitivity range like the Airmotiv T2 (91 dB). The T1 get some pretty good reviews, but no one has reviewed the T2 yet. The doubling of power into 4 Ohms would make up almost 1/2 the difference in sensitivity, I think.
Also, if I want to stick with a fully single-ended system, how much advantage might I gain by bi-amping speakers with 2 Vidars? It seems I would get 200W total to a pair of 8 Ohm speakers vs getting 400W to the same speakers with monoblocks (but at the cost of having to get a balanced preamp, and for best results, a balanced, DAC, and then only being able to run a turntable through that system (if it's a Freya) in Tube gain mode.)

Just trying to figure how to spend more (but not too much more) to listen to my Britney Spears in the highest quality...

If I may be so bold- buy the speakers whose sound you like the most, and work back up the gear chain from there. Speakers have far more influence on what you hear, generally speaking, than the amp, etc. And don't worry about sensitivity and impedance, unless there is a crazy dip in impedance that will not be a factor for you.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #24,266 of 149,248
If I may be so bold- buy the speakers whose sound you like the most, and work back up the gear chain from there. Speakers have far more influence on what you hear, generally speaking, than the amp, etc. And don't worry about sensitivity and impedance, unless there is a crazy dip in impedance that will not be a factor for you.
Finally we're on the component in the audio chain that matters the MOST. Not just a bit, but by far the MOST.
Speakers can have distortion numbers into the tenfold of that of any other component in the chain.
Spend the MOST of your money on speakers and build your system around them.
I use the ones as show by my avatar:

The distortion produced by the Quad ESL-63 is extremely low.
The ability to produce a square wave that actually looks like one is quite unique.
Average distortion is 0.03%, only rising to 1% at 40Hz -90% lower than that of quality dynamic woofers- at a sound pressure level of 96dB.
Maximum excursion of the membrane is ± 2.5mm.
Thickness is 3 micron µ. Membrane Polarization voltage is 5.25kV.
Maximum audio voltage is 10kV.
The two high quality transformers give a 250 step-up rate
Total membrane surface is approximate 0.4 m2.

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #24,267 of 149,248
The trick is finding a place to listen to the speakers that isn't a noisy best buy store. For headphones, I was willing to take a chance based on reviews, but I'd really like to hear the speakers before hauling home 2 60 lb cabinets.

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #24,268 of 149,248
Sep 13, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #24,269 of 149,248
How hard would it be to make a 12v Mimby for vehicles? I'm getting spoiled and the car system isn't quite cutting it.
I hadn't been to the theater in ages and last time I went I wondered why mids sounded so mushy huh, can't these ppl get magnepan's already?
emoji_redface.png

I'm sure you could hook up Mimby to a car if you so wish, these ppl got you covered: http://www.mp3car.com/forum
emoji_raised_hand.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back