Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 1, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #23,102 of 151,481
A kinda strange question as the amp itself might not be capable of "desired output power" and also depends on source
but if
source output = 100mV times Freya tube gain (5) = 500mV, if amplifier needs more than this for full output, e.g. 1 Volt, then you will never even get the maximum power the amp is capable of.
example:
If Vidar has a gain of 22 then output in the above case would be 11 Volts or 15 Watts into 8 Ohms ... etc.

That's exactly what I meant.

For me -and this is not only with Asgard+Genelecs- having the volume pot past 12 o'clock is for when you're throwing a party and/or want to feel the walls rattle.

So, assuming Freya's volume pot at 12 o'clock = pleasurable listening level. Does that mean that with certain amplifiers, I will not be able to throw a party (or torture my neighbor with Opeth as a revenge for his reggaeton addiction? :D) cause even at max volume, that certain amplifier still will not be delivering the max power output?

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #23,104 of 151,481
For me -and this is not only with Asgard+Genelecs- having the volume pot past 12 o'clock is for when you're throwing a party and/or want to feel the walls rattle.

So, assuming Freya's volume pot at 12 o'clock = pleasurable listening level. Does that mean that with certain amplifiers, I will not be able to throw a party (or torture my neighbor with Opeth as a revenge for his reggaeton addiction? :D) cause even at max volume, that certain amplifier still will not be delivering the max power output?
For a typical volume control, if 12 o'clock is the middle of the travel, then going from 12 o'clock to max would increase power 30 - 100 times (if no overload anywhere)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #23,106 of 151,481
Thanks that helps a bit. I like the tube stage the best so far as well, but I'm usually around 1 to 2 o'clock on the Freya dial. When in JFET I'm all but maxed to equal the volume.

Unfortunately I'm only able to run at those levels for roughly twenty minutes.

Thanks,
Chris
----------------------------------------------
Just FYI. Response from Nick T if I can use Bimby+Freya+Vidar. Copied couple of lines from Nick here.

Nick T: That (
he means Bimby+Freya+Vidar) will work fine, you’ll need to use the tube mode to get the full output of the Vidars.

From Myself: "I read three modes in Freya, so i cannot use Solid-state mode ... "
Nick T : In solid state or jfet buffer mode single ended sources will only have half the output....
----------------------------------------------

Not sure why Freya is design that way. Why cant Jfet mode be full powering. Because to save on Tube someone (like me) could be using in Jfet? Is my thinking right here or i m over-reading about Tubes will get to be replaced frequently (1-2 months).

Side Note: I was actually looking for Pre-amp with Tubes (never used tubes)
Tubes Pre -> SS Power amp = Best of both worlds?.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #23,107 of 151,481
Anyone else strongly dislike the clicks when changing the volume on a Freya? Wondering if anyone learned to love it, or at least tolerate it.
It doesn't bother me a bit. I usually set the volume at my preferred listening level and don't touch it for hours. If your playlists are shuffling songs and some classical music comes on then sure you have to adjust it but I prefer to stick to genres when listening so it's not a problem for me.

Aug 2, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #23,108 of 151,481
Anyone else strongly dislike the clicks when changing the volume on a Freya? Wondering if anyone learned to love it, or at least tolerate it.

It doesn't bother me a bit. I usually set the volume at my preferred listening level and don't touch it for hours. If your playlists are shuffling songs and some classical music comes on then sure you have to adjust it but I prefer to stick to genres when listening so it's not a problem for me.

It doesn't bother me one bit either. In fact, I like it because it reminds me how cool it is to have a relay-switched stepped attenuator versus a potentiometer for volume control!

Aug 2, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #23,109 of 151,481
I'm running the originator of the schiit stepped 'attenuators', in The Rok amp.
And at first I thought it might be a bother, but I find it handy in that I can 'step' the volume in easily countable increments to find just the 'best' volume for me.
It can also serve (once you get used to using this type of control) as a way of returning to the same volume setting with much better accuracy.

And I too tend to set it and leave it alone, but then I also use volume leveling in Jriver, which helps to equilize the differences in the dynamic range for all songs, too.

JJ

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #23,110 of 151,481
Nick T : In solid state or jfet buffer mode single ended sources will only have half the output.....

I don't know the circuitry of Schiit gear but I would have thought an SE in of 2 Volts from Bimby would give an SE out of 2 Volts from Freya, with claimed gain of 1, to a stereo Vidar;
according to Vidar specs it has a gain of 22 so it would be trying to output 44 Volts which would be 240+ Watts into 8 Ohms which is waaay beyond it's spec ...

So specs wrong, I'm wrong, Nick's wrong ?? Somebody?

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #23,111 of 151,481
I don't know the circuitry of Schiit gear but I would have thought an SE in of 2 Volts from Bimby would give an SE out of 2 Volts from Freya, with claimed gain of 1, to a stereo Vidar;
according to Vidar specs it has a gain of 22 so it would be trying to output 44 Volts which would be 240+ Watts into 8 Ohms which is waaay beyond it's spec ...

So specs wrong, I'm wrong, Nick's wrong ?? Somebody?
Alas, the whole world is wrong.

Aug 2, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #23,112 of 151,481
I'm running the originator of the schiit stepped 'attenuators', in The Rok amp.
And at first I thought it might be a bother, but I find it handy in that I can 'step' the volume in easily countable increments to find just the 'best' volume for me.
It can also serve (once you get used to using this type of control) as a way of returning to the same volume setting with much better accuracy.

And I too tend to set it and leave it alone, but then I also use volume leveling in Jriver, which helps to equilize the differences in the dynamic range for all songs, too.

JJ

At first I wasn't sure but with use in A/B comparisons it was very helpful. I was spending a lot of time this year, almost daily, during March, April, and May comparing the HD800 to the Utopia, counting the click stops was invaluable in getting relatively close matched volume levels (with a sound meter to establish a base point) between the two quickly because the impedance's and efficiency's were wildly different between the two HP's. The only drawback with Rag is I wish it were 128 steps like Freya instead of 64 (No remote needed for me). Especially with HP's, fine tuning was a bit difficult so I always had to set the Rag first and try and dial in the other 4 amps to match it.

Now that I'm done with all that A/B insanity I still like the clicks as I start to remember sweet spot volume settings for certain recordings.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #23,113 of 151,481
That's not going to happen! I remember Jason saying that they don't want to deal with the batteries and all the hoops you have to jump through to sell products with them.

Have the customer supply the battery - specify a protected 18650 Samsung or Sony. Customer benefit: take two batteries with you!

Sit back and wait for the reviews. There will be sonic differences between the battery manf.

:) :)

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #23,115 of 151,481
Now that I'm done with all that A/B insanity I still like the clicks as I start to member sweet spot volume settings for certain recordings.

Clicks can be great. The most important interface in audio anything is the darn volume knob. This guy... needs bearings and an actual "axle", adjustable mechanical resistance and, possibly, steps aka clicks.

For instance: The "newer Yamaha 2 Channel integrated amps. Look nice - but don't touch the volume knob. Its a wiggly wobbly, pos. It looks ok - but don't touch it.

For the perfect example of the perfect knob haptics, buy a vintage defective Technics SU-8600. One touch and your hooked. Its volume pot crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back