Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 1, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #23,072 of 151,480
Beautiful! Are you going to isolate it from vibration and mount it on points? What about the pixie dust?
Yes you'll see.
I found 4 huge anti gravity feet.
Stole them at area 51 when I was an intern working with dr. Frankenstein.

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #23,073 of 151,480
Aug 1, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #23,074 of 151,480
Yes just saw it . I was actually describing the Vidar from the rear view , not right and left channel .
I m new to HeadFi and this is my first post here. I m exploring Vidar+Freya+ one of the Schiit DACs and sending emails to Nick with some quires and getting responses well enough. I got this link from one of the member from other forum. I m happy to read about Vidar+Freya section which is exactly what I should read more about.

After seeing issues posted by hornytoad - i m curious to check out if the issues are resolved yet. I tried to read further through the thread but could not find if the issue is resolved on the cable connections which seems correct in the pictures and potential SQ degradation/ improvement between XLR-Balanced Vs RCA Vs Mono mode and or Stereo mode works better etc.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #23,075 of 151,480
I m new to HeadFi and this is my first post here. I m exploring Vidar+Freya+ one of the Schiit DACs and sending emails to Nick with some quires and getting responses well enough. I got this link from one of the member from other forum. I m happy to read about Vidar+Freya section which is exactly what I should read more about.

After seeing issues posted by hornytoad - i m curious to check out if the issues are resolved yet. I tried to read further through the thread but could not find if the issue is resolved on the cable connections which seems correct in the pictures and potential SQ degradation/ improvement between XLR-Balanced Vs RCA Vs Mono mode and or Stereo mode works better etc.
I found monblock configuration is actually louder and it definitely sounds better than stereo mode. When I was listening , I initially did not use a decibel reader to check volume levels. A single Vidar is plenty loud but if you have low sensitivity speakers like the Kef LS50's , I would use
two Vidars.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #23,076 of 151,480
Here is my Schiit stack.
IMG_0090.jpg

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #23,077 of 151,480

There wasn't anything to resolve. The cable connections are well marked on the amp and in the manual. Check it for yourself here.

JC

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #23,078 of 151,480
I found monblock configuration is actually louder and it definitely sounds better than stereo mode. When I was listening , I initially did not use a decibel reader to check volume levels. A single Vidar is plenty loud but if you have low sensitivity speakers like the Kef LS50's , I would use
two Vidars.
I would enjoy hearing the monoblock configuration. I have not pushed my single stereo mode Vidar to its limits but it gets really loud with my Salk's. Seems like it keeps getting better as to smoothness and imaging. Of course that could be me getting more used to the sound.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #23,079 of 151,480
Here is my Schiit stack.

Looking good, I use the same model Salamander in black as well. Contrasts nicely with the silver finishes.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #23,080 of 151,480
Here is my Schiit stack.
Thanks for the response! This clarifies my concerns. And Congratulations on the setup. It looks Superb! Simple enough, because its neatly done, else its one hell lot of wires for me going ALL-IN-ONE to all seperates..

I m now going all separates for my speakers to drive KEF Reference 203/2 (in-efficient to the core, lazy ones). I had come close to sell them and keep LS50Ws. But my heart changed since last few days.

Check it for yourself here.
Yes I read this last week and got confused regarding connections. I did go through Parasound A23 rear just to understand how others do it and its is very clear and I dont need any booklet to tell me how to do it. But then I saw some more pictures from hornytoad and got it. Now at peace.

I m about to make decision once my budget gets converged in one place. I have few options around Vidar+Freya, Stereo for now, later add mono, or go with Monos now but go with low cost Mimby for now and then upgrade later things like that. Everything is budget driven.

thanks to Larry_Megugorac for connecting me to Vidar posts here.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #23,081 of 151,480
Thanks for the response! This clarifies my concerns. And Congratulations on the setup. It looks Superb! Simple enough, because its neatly done, else its one hell lot of wires for me going ALL-IN-ONE to all seperates..

I m now going all separates for my speakers to drive KEF Reference 203/2 (in-efficient to the core, lazy ones). I had come close to sell them and keep LS50Ws. But my heart changed since last few days.

Yes I read this last week and got confused regarding connections. I did go through Parasound A23 rear just to understand how others do it and its is very clear and I dont need any booklet to tell me how to do it. But then I saw some more pictures from hornytoad and got it. Now at peace.

I m about to make decision once my budget gets converged in one place. I have few options around Vidar+Freya, Stereo for now, later add mono, or go with Monos now but go with low cost Mimby for now and then upgrade later things like that. Everything is budget driven.

thanks to Larry_Megugorac for connecting me to Vidar posts here.
The biggest reason I like the mono configurations is you get better detail,resolution at low volume listening levels compared to the one VIdar. This system is upstairs and I don't need my wife complaining sometimes about
how loud I'm playing the music when she is downstairs watching TV. She grew up on TV ,I grew up on music with my brothers actually manufacturing speaker systems.

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #23,082 of 151,480
The biggest reason I like the mono configurations is you get better detail,resolution at low volume listening levels compared to the one VIdar. This system is upstairs and I don't need my wife complaining sometimes about
how loud I'm playing the music when she is downstairs watching TV. She grew up on TV ,I grew up on music with my brothers actually manufacturing speaker systems.

Do you find that in monoblock configuration that the Vidars run significantly cooler? Also how close to max have you run them for any length of time? I'm currently struggling to keep my single Vidar running cool with my listening habits. My speakers are not very efficient around 87db and I prefer to listen to music well over 100 db.

Thank you,
Chris

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #23,083 of 151,480
Do you find that in monoblock configuration that the Vidars run significantly cooler? Also how close to max have you run them for any length of time? I'm currently struggling to keep my single Vidar running cool with my listening habits. My speakers are not very efficient around 87db and I prefer to listen to music well over 100 db.

Thank you,
Chris
I really can't say as I only used stereo mode off and on for an hour at a time. The amps in mono get slightly warm to the touch using Kef Ls50's which are 85 db i think even lower than your speakers.

The Freya at half ( 12 oclock ) volume is pretty loud in tube mode but not that loud in the other modes. I use tube mode only anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back