Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 27, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #21,361 of 151,084
Francis Albert Sinatra. Yup. My absolute favorite vocalist, male or female. Followed by Ella Fitzgerald, who was a goddess.

No AutoTune for people with talent on loan from the gods. For the most part, todays poopular music is poop, not music. Old? Yup. Grumpy? Check. Right. Damn right. :ksc75smile:

Even for the grumpiest, Cécile McLorin Salvant is a cynicism antidote.

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #21,362 of 151,084
If the powers dat be would only puts some VU Meters up front on an integratedified amplificational unit, I would bump my self to the head of the line. I need some thing to look at whilst I listen. It is like women, I just want some thing beautiful to behold whilst listening. Behold, not "be holden on to". A thing of beauty is a joy for ever. But ugly is, well...ugly.

No VU Meters, no SchiitShow for this Toad. Besides, I am not good company of late. No body wants a Cane Toad around. Not even me. . .

I just purchased another Grace Digital Encore Internet Radio. They are fantastic! And not just for the price. Only an Audiofool or a frAudiophile imagines they can hear better than others. But looks are subjective and I like the way these radios look when coupled with vintage (or vintage looking) kit. Enough toadish ramblin'.

Via con huevos, mi amigos.

El Toado Verde

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #21,364 of 151,084
Geez, again today! I go listen to some Schiit Quality Tuned Music (SQTM). Then watch 23 minutes of recorded TV before my lights out tunes, I check my phone and all the Schiit has happened.

Guess it's a west coast thing.

I figured Schiitr TV would be announced with little warning but that's ok. It will save everyone hitting the refresh button! Jason, will it be in black and white to keep with your product theme? Also, you said there would be no food but I would like to send the pizza delivery guy there for you all or something for the debut! How often on this planet has Schiitr TV happened? (no comments about having a tv in the bathroom allowed):beerchug:

In spite of some angst recently from some, it's people wanting what you and Mike do, so kudos!

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #21,365 of 151,084
So Saga started humming yesterday. (Also I hear the attenuator click and sqreeuk through my headphones.)
First I thought it would be a groundloop but when I put just the Jot and Saga in one powerstrip(nothing else connected to them) and plug that into the wall its still there. (that kinda rules out the grounloop no?)
But when I touch the Saga the sound changes so then I think groundloop again. Removing the tube from Saga didnt change anything either. Taping of the grounds on the Saga didnt change anything as well.
How do I rule this out?

edit: also...Jotunheim as a standalone humms when I touch it.(again nothing connected but headphones) so its probably not Saga that makes the noises...or is it?

edit 2: this is so weird! plugging into another wallsocket makes it all humm less. Still there but tolerable. Someone told me that if the noise changes when you touch the housing it might be a faulty powersupply. Does this make sense?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #21,367 of 151,084
So Saga started humming yesterday. (Also I hear the attenuator click and sqreeuk through my headphones.)
First I thought it would be a groundloop but when I put just the Jot and Saga in one powerstrip(nothing else connected to them) and plug that into the wall its still there. (that kinda rules out the grounloop no?)
But when I touch the Saga the sound changes so then I think groundloop again. Removing the tube from Saga didnt change anything either. Taping of the grounds on the Saga didnt change anything as well.
How do I rule this out?

edit: also...Jotunheim as a standalone humms when I touch it.(again nothing connected but headphones) so its probably not Saga that makes the noises...or is it?

edit 2: this is so weird! plugging into another wallsocket makes it all humm less. Still there but tolerable. Someone told me that if the noise changes when you touch the housing it might be a faulty powersupply. Does this make sense?
All the above tells me you have a DC offset or noise issue on your house wiring. Do you have a refrigerator, or a light dimmer, or a cable TV box in your house? I suggest purchasing something like an Emotiva CM2 and plugging your Schiit into that to see if the issue goes away. In any case it is not being caused by your Schiit, it's your power system.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #21,368 of 151,084
All the above tells me you have a DC offset or noise issue on your house wiring. Do you have a refrigerator, or a light dimmer, or a cable TV box in your house? I suggest purchasing something like an Emotiva CM2 and plugging your Schiit into that to see if the issue goes away. In any case it is not being caused by your Schiit, it's your power system.
You may be right!
A. a have all off the items mentioned except for the emotiva(hard to come by in europe)
B. testing various walloutlets around the house gives different results.
C. my aune also hummed on the outlet I used before.

So the only thing I haven`t figured out yet is why touching the housing changes the humming. And why it suddenly appeared(nothing really changed for weeks).
Thankyou for the feedback!

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #21,369 of 151,084
You may be right!
A. a have all off the items mentioned except for the emotiva(hard to come by in europe)
B. testing various walloutlets around the house gives different results.
C. my aune also hummed on the outlet I used before.

So the only thing I haven`t figured out yet is why touching the housing changes the humming. And why it suddenly appeared(nothing really changed for weeks).
Thankyou for the feedback!

If touching the case changes the hum it could be a grounding problem?

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #21,370 of 151,084
A Topaz isolation transformer would get rid of DC offset as well.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #21,371 of 151,084
If touching the case changes the hum it could be a grounding problem?
Specifically a ground loop. Depending on the cause, that can be dealt with by galvanic isolation at a USB connection or by lifting the ground from an AC mains plug at one of the devices. Trial and error working with deduction.......

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #21,373 of 151,084
why it suddenly appeared(nothing really changed for weeks).

"Why it suddenly appeared" could be due to many things including something on your power grid outside your home that you have no control over. If you recently added a lamp or a light dimmer, try unplugging it. Also, if you have a cable TV box there is an outside ground where the cable enters the house and this can change due to weather, introducing noise. You can try a simple ground loop isolator for the cable coax, like this one (there are many such options.) Any power isolator might also help, the Emotiva I suggested was only because it is relatively inexpensive and very effective (I use one with my 2-channel amplifier for a similar reason.)

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #21,374 of 151,084
If the powers dat be would only puts some VU Meters up front on an integratedified amplificational unit, I would bump my self to the head of the line. I need some thing to look at whilst I listen. It is like women, I just want some thing beautiful to behold whilst listening. Behold, not "be holden on to". A thing of beauty is a joy for ever. But ugly is, well...ugly.

No VU Meters, no SchiitShow for this Toad.

Once the Vidar becomes available I'll be selling my McIntosh MA5200 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back