Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 12, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #20,911 of 150,705
Regarding Dirac Live and other room correction softwares…

I have a concern. Perhaps a question. Or something…

Anyway.

Schiit makes a huge deal about their multibit DACs retaining all the original bits. One claimed advantage is that the time domain information is not discarded or recomputed and this helps with the accuracy and authenticity of the reproduced signal ("microdynamics"). The output of Yggdrasil is analogue, not digital.

But when you feed that signal into a Dirac enabled receiver, or a miniDSP, or something with ARC, or whatever room correction software you are running, up to and including Meridian, the first thing it does is grab your lovely analogue signal from Yggy and digitize it. The second (or whatever) thing it does is mess with the time domain information in order to match your measured room.

In other words you paid $250-$2250 for a pristine signal that preserved the original microdynamics etc. and then you throw all of that away with your DSP software.

So everything you paid for just got thrown out the window and you might as well use a cheap 4490 DAC as a source since none of the original signal is preserved anyway.

Am I wrong?

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #20,912 of 150,705
Oh, it's my nickname from my Yggdrasil. You know, kind of like your weird nickname for your Yggdrasil.
Did the light go on yet?

I see.

JJ

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #20,913 of 150,705

Anyway.

Schiit makes a huge deal about their multibit DACs retaining all the original bits. One claimed advantage is that the time domain information is not discarded or recomputed and this helps with the accuracy and authenticity of the reproduced signal ("microdynamics"). The output of Yggdrasil is analogue, not digital.

But when you feed that signal into a Dirac enabled receiver, or a miniDSP, or something with ARC, or whatever room correction software you are running, up to and including Meridian, the first thing it does is grab your lovely analogue signal from Yggy and digitize it. The second (or whatever) thing it does is mess with the time domain information in order to match your measured room.

In other words you paid $250-$2250 for a pristine signal that preserved the original microdynamics etc. and then you throw all of that away with your DSP software.

So everything you paid for just got thrown out the window and you might as well use a cheap 4490 DAC as a source since none of the original signal is preserved anyway.

Am I wrong?

I have thought about this and if it's possible in your home (and it fits your personality) to find the optimum position for your speakers, find the toe in that maximises the sound stage (not necessarily pointed directly at you, let the dispersion of the speakers do their thing), tame the first reflections, tame the bass if needed, this is a good thing if you want Yggy, Freya, Vidar to do their best with your speakers. Your speakers will disappear. Your favorite pair of cans should give you an idea of what to go for. If you set up two channel strictly on looks and your headphones sound much better that's a big clue! If you're maximizing the Yggy family for two channel it should better your headphones, and I'm not sure if digital correction is that good yet. If you have to use it for ascetics wouldn't even good (not best) speaker placement help the digital correction? As far as taming reflections if needed, can the digital correction really help here also?

Having babbled this, there is the Beolab speakers that do everything, I've heard them.... can't ever afford them...but interesting concept.

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #20,916 of 150,705
Since I have no idea what a "zurflu" is…
Why do you ask?

JJ
I did a quick check and it is of Germanic and topographical in origin and means some one that resides "at or on the cliff". Given the Teutonic background of the word, I would not trust it to be as funny as it sounds and instead come up with some thing far wittier.

Nah. Its some one that lives at or on the cliff. That sounds silly enough.

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #20,918 of 150,705

Am I wrong?
Slightly. I just went from an Uberfrost (cheap 4490 DAC, no?) to a Gumby and the difference is well worthwhile. Now, would it be better if I could have a bit perfect chain from file to Gumby? IDK.

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #20,919 of 150,705
Slightly. I just went from an Uberfrost (cheap 4490 DAC, no?) to a Gumby and the difference is well worthwhile. Now, would it be better if I could have a bit perfect chain from file to Gumby? IDK.

Ask your self this: How would I know it is perfect? Can I hear bits? The answer to the first is to be found in the listening. Do you hear the music sans any audible errors? Yup. Perfect.

The answer to the second is easier still.

Nope. Your ears may be binaural but they are not binary. We hear sound, not 0s and 1s. Enjoy the music for what it is after it is decoded.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #20,920 of 150,705
Do you'all recommend going balance between Freya and Vidar; or will a good pair of single ended Morrow interconnects sound the same? For those who recommend balanced, what brand of cables do you use?

You can only go balanced if you buy two Vidar amps. If you are going to use just one Vidar, you have to connect to it single ended.

I like Pangea XLR cables.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #20,921 of 150,705
I think I shall name my cat Zurfluh. That is, when I find one that I like enough to bring home.

Sometimes cats adopt you vs. the other way round.

JJ

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #20,923 of 150,705
Raspberries running Volumio in order:
Raspberry pi 2 + red bear wifi module -> USB output -> Schiit modi multibit
Raspberry pi 1 + first gen hifiberry DAC with RCA out
Raspberry pi zero w + pimodori pHAT DAC

It would also be possible to extract the audio via HDMI into a receiver or something similar, but I haven't tested that configuration.
So which one is your favourite?

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #20,924 of 150,705

Anyway.

Am I wrong?
the variables that DSPs and ideally room treatment and speaker placement will try to correct, tend to be magnitudes bigger than the variations between 2 DACs(including time domain corrections). randomly placing good flat speakers in a pretty room doesn't automatically result in great transparent sound. I wish it did, but real life is a bitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back