Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 12, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #20,896 of 150,684
Thanks for the input!

My main concern with the Yggy has been the info I have read regarding the amount of warmup time that it likes to have before it is running at its best. I understand hours/days of warmup, but it seems like Yggy really likes weeks of being powered on in many cases? That's unfortunate if I were to want to do something like bring it to a friends house for them to give a listen on.
I thought that's more like a burn-in time of weeks of powered-on time. Once it's there, it won't revert back to it's original state because you powered it off.

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #20,897 of 150,684
I thought that's more like a burn-in time of weeks of powered-on time. Once it's there, it won't revert back to it's original state because you powered it off.

If that is the case, I would understand the comments regarding burn-in/warmup much better! That said, I could have sworn that most of them seemed to imply that leaving Yggy on all the time was the way to go.

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #20,898 of 150,684
I would say the two biggest changes in my system the last 10 years have been the Dirac DDRC 88A Room Correction system and the glorious Yggdrasil. I long ago quit the silly religion of vinyl and the Yggy has verified I made the correct move! The DDRC88A has allowed the equipment to perform like it was designed to do without worrying about room reflections.

I second that on both Dirac and Schiit.
I use Dirac Live as software, but that's exactly the same software that is used in MiniDSP DDRC 88A box.
I use Gumby instead of Yggy, but still very happy with the results and the best investments in equipment in a long time.
Hope Gumby will be replaced by Yggy soime day.
Don't forget to mention Freya also a very big different compared to my "old" pre-amp.

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #20,899 of 150,684
Thanks for the input!

My main concern with the Yggy has been the info I have read regarding the amount of warmup time that it likes to have before it is running at its best. I understand hours/days of warmup, but it seems like Yggy really likes weeks of being powered on in many cases? That's unfortunate if I were to want to do something like bring it to a friends house for them to give a listen on.
Yggy must be kept on 24/7 for the best audio quality but i can tell you straight out of the box i was still pretty damn impressed

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #20,900 of 150,684
I've posted this before and I'll post it again. "Proper room treatments allow you to hear more of your system and less of your room." But as in all things audio, it's about what's important to YOU...

Agree - and the degree with which to undertake room treatments is fully up to each one of us. I have interior decoration constraints, for example. My listening room has a wooden floor, so I added a yoga mat approximately half-way between the speakers and my listening chair to absorb the first reflection from the floor. Result: The midrange is softer and less 'shouty', and the soundstage feels more natural and less like listening from the rearmost row of an amphitheatre.

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #20,901 of 150,684
Jason, did you find a multubit dac yet? There's a lot of folks reading/joining this thread, apparently they are excited by Schiit now and Schiit coming. You and Mike should be happy as well as proud of what you've done, this coming from someone who started with the original Lyr way back when. So here is another question as we approach (someday) the first broadcast from the Schiitr, will it be in black and white, keeping with the theme you've established online, with shows and your little catalog??:beerchug: Can we vote on this as anticipation builds?

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #20,902 of 150,684
It's been my (and others) experience that once the Jggy accumulates 'sufficient' hrs and fully settles in, a power/cool down reset can take only 1-2 days of continuously being on to return to its peak SQ capability.
The advice in the Jggy manual and elsewhere of just leaving it on, all the time, has been verified numerous times.

In fact we have a couple of Jggys that travel to our meets, all the while being powered by a traveling UPS and 12Vdc to 120Vac converter.
Yeah it's a bit over the top but when 'good enough', just isn't, what-ya gunna do?

JJ

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #20,903 of 150,684
So what do you use as audio out? USB or something else?

Raspberries running Volumio in order:
Raspberry pi 2 + red bear wifi module -> USB output -> Schiit modi multibit
Raspberry pi 1 + first gen hifiberry DAC with RCA out
Raspberry pi zero w + pimodori pHAT DAC

It would also be possible to extract the audio via HDMI into a receiver or something similar, but I haven't tested that configuration.

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #20,904 of 150,684
It's been my (and others) experience that once the Jggy accumulates 'sufficient' hrs and fully settles in, a power/cool down reset can take only 1-2 days of continuously being on to return to its peak SQ capability.
The advice in the Jggy manual and elsewhere of just leaving it on, all the time, has been verified numerous times.

How many hours does a zurflu need to get before it sounds its best?

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #20,905 of 150,684
Since I have no idea what a "zurflu" is…
Why do you ask?

JJ

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #20,906 of 150,684
All I want for Schiitmas (for the release of Vidar) is a fairly clear picture of what to expect in terms of impedance, when running them in balanced/monoblock mode. I'm already aware that power hungry 4 ohms nominal speakers will be out of the question. But what about, say, moderately effecient (or less) 8 ohm nominal speakers with 4.1 or even 3.2 ohm dips? Also, beyond avoiding throwing the thing into protection mode, it'd be nice to get an idea of how much added distortion (if any?) would occur when powering 4 ohm nominal bookshelf speakers (or should such a situation be avoided altogether?). And so on. Gracias!

Edit/addendum: Thanks @Jason Stoddard for your post today (June 28) regarding the Vidar, but I feel it would still be even more helpful if you provided additional information on the eventual FAQ page on your site concerning my above post. Considering how many questions there have been from others on this thread about running Vidar monos for 4 ohm speakers, it would be beneficial for many folks. I'm in Canada, so bringing in a pair with shipping, duties, brokerage, yadda, is a bit of an undertaking. Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #20,907 of 150,684

In fact we have a couple of Jggys that travel to our meets, all the while being powered by a traveling UPS and 12Vdc to 120Vac converter.
Yeah it's a bit over the top but when 'good enough', just isn't, what-ya gunna do?

JJ

Thanks for helping to clarify! This lines up perfectly with many of the different reviews and experiences I have seen regarding the Yggy. It's good to know that after an initial burn-in that powering it off won't necessarily fully revert it to its initial boxed state.

It's funny, because now that I am all but sold on getting one, I immediately started thinking about running a line from my UPS over to power it. Glad to know that despite this maybe being over the top, that I wouldn't be alone...

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #20,909 of 150,684

If that is the case, I would understand the comments regarding burn-in/warmup much better! That said, I could have sworn that most of them seemed to imply that leaving Yggy on all the time was the way to go.

Yggy must be kept on 24/7 for the best audio quality but i can tell you straight out of the box i was still pretty damn impressed

What hornytoad said.
Yggy's clocks need some time to stabilize at their optimal oscillation frequencies. Yggdrasil uses a VCXO (Voltage-Controlled Crystal Oscillator) clock (or perhaps two, for the 44.1KHz and 48KHz multiples respectively), so it needs its own time in order for the crystals to oscillate as regularly as possible. @atomicbob in his epic Yggy's measurements thread showed how Yggy's jitter and THD went from excellent to amazingly excellent after a couple of days being continually powered up. This can be due to Yggy constantly regulating the voltage of the clock(s), so, if the crystals stop oscillating (when you power the DAC off, for example), they need to recover that optimal condition (temperature, voltage, oscillation frequency, etc.) again to perform at their best. Please note I'm not an engineer, and I say this based on Yggdrasil specs and some detail @Baldr gave in some earlier post of his.
What I can see, subjectively, is that the Yggy-needing-to-be-kept-always-on 'myth' is real for me (as is for many others, judging from all the impressions and reviews I read). I had to turn it off two or three times (the last one being almost a year ago) and, when I turned it on again, it didn't immediately sound as I became accustomed to. Many won't believe till they'll hear it, but (for me, at least) it's something I feel very real.
The first time you power up Yggdrasil and listen to some music, you're gonna form an opinion about it. But if you keep listening for some days, there'll be a moment (typically at around a week or so) when you won't believe what you're actually hearing. It's already been explained by others before, and you'll really understand it once you'll experience it, but at one point you'll realize the you are in the music, or the music is all around you. This doesn't mean the Yggdrasil won't sound very well till that time, of course! (And please note that my listening has been done with headphones till now, but others stated that Yggdrasil is even more amazing in a loudspeakers system).
That being said, I'll only add that, in my experience, when I first turned it on, Yggy started to unleash its magic after about a week. After that first time, with Yggdrasil being always on for months, I found that it would regain that optimal audio performance in less time, say two-three days.
Your experience may vary, but please do at least try to keep Yggy always on for the first two weeks in order to evaluate for yourself. Then turn it off. After some time (maybe even an hour or two) turn it on again and listen. :wink:
I know that I won't be happy until Yggy's special qualities will come back again! But that's something you'll have to experience for yourself.
Yggdrasil it's really a fantastic music machine and in some way one has to listen to believe.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #20,910 of 150,684
Since I have no idea what a "zurflu" is…
Why do you ask?

JJ

Oh, it's my nickname from my Yggdrasil. You know, kind of like your weird nickname for your Yggdrasil.

Did the light go on yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back